Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm somewhat tempted to be honest but will wait until it shows up in UK, what the price is and if it has HW4. Of course that would mean both our cars would be Tesla's and EV's, I do somewhat feel that's a risk at this point of the transition with regards to charging infrastructure.

Still I don't need to change my car anytime soon so can sit on this for a bit.

After using Turo and renting a Model S plaid while in California the other week, I would not pick a yoke given the choice as trying to do turns is just annoying also the moving indicators that half way though a turn end up upside down so you press the wrong one is just stupid. The gear selection on the screen I actually quite liked and would be happy with that. The auto shift out of park is nice but doesn't really add anything.

As for the car as a whole it's an absolute joy to drive and the power really is insane:D

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I'm somewhat tempted to be honest but will wait until it shows up in UK, what the price is and if it has HW4. Of course that would mean both our cars would be Tesla's and EV's, I do somewhat feel that's a risk at this point of the transition with regards to charging infrastructure.

Still I don't need to change my car anytime soon so can sit on this for a bit.
HW4 appears to already be on the MS and MX build for production this year so at least that bit should be ok.

Interesting, I've only see "prototype spotted" info, is there something more concrete than that? (ie.. as to current production for delivery "soon")

It was tweeted earlier today.

and a look on the inventory shows it for the non-demo MS and MX inventory in the US (although its not obvious on the actual Tesla website). Despite the initial tweet wording, follow up tweets have the start date back to mid January. I've asked the question in the AP subforum if we actually know what the changes are as I've seen conflicting views on the number of cameras, especially the front headlights etc as some think thats provision for the cybertruck

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I don't have that worry - the number of days in the year where I go more than 300 miles is tiny ... and when I do its a Big Trip, so I'm both tooled up for it and also relaxed / holiday-mode so would probably have time for a delay from charge-queuing.
For most of the year, I also fall into that same category. Just not sure I’d be as relaxed with charging delays.

Last year I had my jabs and went north of the wall into Scotland (Just kidding my Scottish friends) to do the NC500. Absolutely loved it and the amazing views but not sure I'd risk it in an EV. Yes I know it can be done but chargers are limited and mostly slow. You'd be planning your trip around the chargers vs around the locations you might actually want to see.

Obviously on the other hand while my ICE is a Euro 6d Diesel I think, sooner or later they might ban it from going into city / town centres. The switch is obviously going to have to happen, just when. Seeing as no Plaid yet, no temptation in front of me :)

Had a look on the U.S. website and for a Model S you can order a Plaid or Long Range right now and get it in March, the same month. The Model X is a range of this month to next month.

Doesn’t feel like they have the demand they need so need to expand to more markets. Sadly China is probably next so RHD markets still have to wait.

Also they are building them without USS now like the 3 and Y. You’d have to think the Tesla Vision Park Assist must be close to ready as seems even less forgivable to be missing this on cars of £100k+.

You are keen @FastLaneJB I’ll give you that. Any particular reason you want one? I couldn’t in all conscience spend another £100K plus on another Tesla.

Maybe I’ve had too much seat time in one, but they’re simply not special enough or well built enough now in 2023 to justify the premium. In my view even the plaid leaves me stone cold. Sorry.

Or it’s just once bitten twice shy for bitter old moi 😅

Reactions: pgkevet
You are keen @FastLaneJB I’ll give you that. Any particular reason you want one? I couldn’t in all conscience spend another £100K plus on another Tesla.

Maybe I’ve had too much seat time in one, but they’re simply not special enough or well built enough now in 2023 to justify the premium. In my view even the plaid leaves me stone cold. Sorry.

In my case, nothing competes with my Raven MS Perf as a daily driver/family hauler. (I have plenty of “special“ performance car). It’s my 3rd MS - never had any issues with them.

I see plenty of ICE owners spending for new ones that are the same with minor incremental improvements. Why wouldn’t I want a new EV with 40% more power without efficiency impact, and major interior improvements if I could afford it?

Reactions: Js1977
for the annual trip to the Alps, that is a very significant efficiency improvement

I had a go with ABetterRoutePlanner = Home to the Alps ... just put in Start / Endpoint for my usual route and compared Raven LR with Plaid.

ABRP took a slightly different route for the Plaid - an extra 2 miles West-route via Tornus / Macon rather than Raven's East route Aire du Poulet de Bresse - which took advantage of the 250kW at Macon (nice restaurant there too :) ) rather than the 150kW Bourg en Bresse route ...

Driving time 10h15m ... Charging time in Raven was 2h10m which the Plaid cut to 1h29m - that's a substantial 40 minute saving! and Plaid was 13 Wh/mile better than the Raven LR

Definitely can't afford not to have it!

Driving time 10h15m ... Charging time in Raven was 2h10m which the Plaid cut to 1h29m - that's a substantial 40 minute saving! and Plaid was 13 Wh/mile better than the Raven LR

Definitely can't afford not to have it!

£100k to save 40 minutes on a 10hr+ drive done once/twice a year. Probably the right question is what's £100k worth to you rather than 40 minutes:).

If you can afford, absolutely why wouldn't you. Sadly not many of us are in such a position where 40 mintues is worth £100k.

When we ordered our X even the £6k difference between SR and LR I couldn't justify....or am just tight :).

Had a look on the U.S. website and for a Model S you can order a Plaid or Long Range right now and get it in March, the same month. The Model X is a range of this month to next month.

Doesn’t feel like they have the demand they need so need to expand to more markets. Sadly China is probably next so RHD markets still have to wait.

Also they are building them without USS now like the 3 and Y. You’d have to think the Tesla Vision Park Assist must be close to ready as seems even less forgivable to be missing this on cars of £100k+.
There are hundreds of MS and MX cars available in the US, it’s the MY they’re short of from what I’ve seen. The new ones do seem to have HW4 although it doesn’t seem as revolutionary as some of the websites would have you believe

I'd have to test drive one to be sure to be honest. I do know where you are coming from. A good while ago it was a P100D but ride didn't feel all that amazing even though on air suspension. Was before Tesla did their own upgraded suspension but have to see if that's an improvement.

I think ultimately it's the speed of the thing as if it didn't have that I probably would look elsewhere. Could probably shave off 20 seconds on the school run in that thing if you launch it from each traffic lights 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: wow400 and Sean.
£100k to save 40 minutes on a 10hr+ drive done once/twice a year

Hardly, and I doubt that is the case for anyone else.

I had first MS back in 2015 ... did 95K miles in 3.5 years, had the replacement MS since 2019 ...

... when the new MS is available in UK mine will 3 - 4 years old which suits me to replace it.

Saving 30% of the time spent charging on all long trips is a (considerable) bonus

Another price drop in the US!
8C76D9E4-4F2F-4465-B71B-8AA2B4AAF1F2.png