Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk price increase.. again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Furry muff.

The MY handles really well though, I couldn’t notice any difference to my M3, apart from the higher driving position.

Disagree completely, had 4 test drives to make sure I wasn’t imagining things.

I really wanted the Y, but just didn’t enjoy driving it. Fast in a straight line but leant round corners too much for me, it’s just not something for me to enjoy driving around town.

The 3 I really enjoyed driving.

All that said, it would be extremely tough for me to buy a LR now for the same price as a Y. I’m picking up my RWD Model 3 next week and letting my Y order pass on.

Each to their own.

Reactions: QuanTim and Doudeau
Admittedly... I have not test driven a MY yet. Soooo that may be on the cards but am still favouring the M3. I also prefer the way it looks :)
Definitely worth having a test drive. I think big advances in the construction of the Ys chassis has put it ahead of the M3 technically.

Y looks great in person (apart from the Gemini wheels). Interior is just a nicer place to be, more space and more like sitting on a comfy seat rather than bum on the ground legs straight out like a go kart.

Disagree completely, had 4 test drives to make sure I wasn’t imagining things.

I really wanted the Y, but just didn’t enjoy driving it. Fast in a straight line but leant round corners too much for me, it’s just not something for me to enjoy driving around town.

The 3 I really enjoyed driving.

All that said, it would be extremely tough for me to buy a LR now for the same price as a Y. I’m picking up my RWD Model 3 next week and letting my Y order pass on.

Each to their own.
Strange, I really chucked it around roundabouts and felt no more body roll than my M3.

Definitely worth having a test drive. I think big advances in the construction of the Ys chassis has put it ahead of the M3 technically.

Y looks great in person (apart from the Gemini wheels). Interior is just a nicer place to be, more space and more like sitting on a comfy seat rather than bum on the ground legs straight out like a go kart.
What colour are the actual wheels under the Gemini covers? The bare alloys look much nicer than the covers.
I’ve seen both silver and dark versions online.

I really am! Driving through my local town with it's speedbumps and potholes it bumps me around quite a bit. I had a 14 year old Vauxhall Astra (mark IV) before this and it was smoother on the uneven roads! Normally I have the SR+, but it's been 2-3 weeks in service.
Haha, yes they have to have dampers or you’d be literally pogoing down the road like Zebedee! 🤣

Reactions: googlepeakoil
Citation needed.
I'd think the Y would hold it's price better. It doesn't look as attractive IMHO (looks too bulbous over the front area for me). But it's got the enormous, class-leading size hatchback and much deeper frunk, so it's got the better utility by far. Much better rear seat depth under-thighs for adults. Cross-overs are in vogue and the efficiency/range is almost that of the 3's. In Europe maybe 90% of other cars are hatchbacks vs maybe 20-30% in USA where everyone buys trucks if they want to carry big stuff, and maybe dogs, DIY, Ikea purchases and tip-runs are less popular!

Haha, yes they have to have dampers or you’d be literally pogoing down the road like Zebedee! 🤣
So what makes a Mercedes or even my 13 year Astra take bumps smoother? My mate was shocked when I told him the recommended PSI was 40 on the car. So maybe I've answered my own question! The M3 SR (not MIC) is only 1650kg - but not sure why they have it quite so high! Mobile service actually pumped mine to 43 on a recent visit!

So what makes a Mercedes or even my 13 year Astra take bumps smoother? My mate was shocked when I told him the recommended PSI was 40 on the car. So maybe I've answered my own question! The M3 SR (not MIC) is only 1650kg - but not sure why they have it quite so high! Mobile service actually pumped mine to 43 on a recent visit!
Spring rates and Damper rebound rates, apparently it is especially due to stiff spring rates on M3/Ys, in order to counteract the body roll from the weight of the batteries.

Reactions: googlepeakoil
I did the equivalent of FOMO'ing into stock while it's peaking... what an idiot.

... and then you told all us lot, and we're all busy dining out on it!

I don’t have the £55,700 valuation anymore, it expired on 14/03. The latest one is £53,800, which is sufficiently less to make the decision easier (not to proceed).

My thought was to put the deposit down now, see if you like the valuation when the car is approaching collection, and if not get your £100 deposit back.

I remember people mocked Elon for saying the cars would be an appreciating asset due to FSD. They seem to be an appreciating asset even without FSD being released! I guess Tesla UK were about 12 hours behind Tesla USA in the last price increase? Having been only a week after the previous one maybe the UK team got caught cold on deciding what price adjustments to make.
As a tip - did anyone else know that on the "Tesla Inventory" page that the ones facing left are post refresh. The ones facing right are "pre" refresh. I only learned that when I bought mine a year ago after originally putting down £100 on a pre refresh one - and then complaining as it didn't bloody say so! The range also gives you a clue. The 254/329 ranges are pre-refresh.
One huge benefit of the post refresh is the heat pump and winter range. Also seems to warm me at 18C vs 20C on the performance loaner to get the same effect, and the heat seems less powerful and slower to come on - but it might be the way the vents were setup.

Last edited:
Spring rates and Damper rebound rates, apparently it is especially due to stiff spring rates on M3/Ys, in order to counteract the body roll from the weight of the batteries.
From my remote control car days I recall there being torsion bars to prevent roll with liquids of different viscosity that would go in the dampers. Liquid dampened suspension over coil springs. I don't know if cars still use liquid dampers? But googling I saw Tesla's is air dampened, but not active.

Having driven all 3. The SR+ is nice and fast. The LR is brilliant (probably safer in bad road conditions due to the added FWD) The performance is just brutal. Especially in the 0-40 range.
The performance gives you:
- slightly faster 0-60. 3.5 instead of about 4.2. (but you can buy half the difference as I understand for the LR for about £1000).
- performance brakes
- different tyres and rims? (and given that M3's don't have hydraulic dampers the ride will be less comfortable)
- a spoiler (available on ebay for £80 or so)
- an underline under dual motor (so what)
Negatives:
- slightly worse economy (due to the performance tyres and rims)
Anything else? For me the performance above the LR has always been relatively pointless, and too fast! It's a status symbol. Tesla should come up with more things to differentiate it. Longer range. Hydraulic damping? It's never been worth £8-10k more. It's right the £ difference is less imho.
I think performance is 3.1 0-60. LR with £1500 AB is around 3.7 maybe 3.6 0-60.