Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Pricing piss take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I blame BYD for trying to milk the UK market. The Seal, Dolphin and Atto are outrageously priced in the UK, they're not competition for Tesla, so Tesla haven't dropped their prices.
The price drops elsewhere are down to competitors providing competitive offerings, and at the moment that's only really MG...

Reactions: Ricecooker
I blame BYD for trying to milk the UK market. The Seal, Dolphin and Atto are outrageously priced in the UK, they're not competition for Tesla, so Tesla haven't dropped their prices.
The price drops elsewhere are down to competitors providing competitive offerings, and at the moment that's only really MG...
Are they outrageously priced? I think they are pretty similar to Tesla's pricing at least on the Seal. Tesla doesn't have cars matching the other two really to compete with them though.

Do we think todays first quarter results will make any difference to finance rates in the UK or are we still waiting until production outstrips orders?
I'm surprised they haven't dropped them already and not sure if there's a lag or they don't plan to in the UK currently. After all they've just done a lot of global repricing and UK was not part of that so seems they are happy with what they are selling for here along with demand at the moment.

will make any difference to finance rates in the UK or a
They are already providing 0.5% interest rate for Model Y on hire purchase, and 1.8% on PCP and £390 for 2 year lease - what else do you think they will offer on top of this if the BoE isn’t changing rates? Closer to the end of Q2 they may slash the Model Y price further or add incentives like £3000 cash deposits etc., I think expecting any sort of price change in Highland is going to take atleast till the end of Q3. They have sold around 6,500 cars and the UK sales figures are as good as how it was in 2023, so they are not going to cut the price or interest rates on Model 3.

I'm surprised they haven't dropped them already and not sure if there's a lag or they don't plan to in the UK currently. After all they've just done a lot of global repricing and UK was not part of that so seems they are happy with what they are selling for here along with demand at the moment.
I would expect rationality or predictability in Tesla pricing. Cuts and increases seem to happen randomly, and could easily here.

It would be worth comparing the prices of the cars to the average/median income of the people in the countries. A Tesla may be cheaper in Spain, but people also generally earn a lot less, over there. We can afford to pay more as we get paid more, so that will be factored into the price. Works in our favour when going abroad on holiday.

Reactions: Js1977 and Durzel
They are already providing 0.5% interest rate for Model Y on hire purchase, and 1.8% on PCP and £390 for 2 year lease - what else do you think they will offer on top of this if the BoE isn’t changing rates? Closer to the end of Q2 they may slash the Model Y price further or add incentives like £3000 cash deposits etc., I think expecting any sort of price change in Highland is going to take atleast till the end of Q3. They have sold around 6,500 cars and the UK sales figures are as good as how it was in 2023, so they are not going to cut the price or interest rates on Model 3.
There's an awful lot of EV's that are on 0% APR so they can go lower.

Highland has had price cuts in other regions so they are already starting to struggle to shift them but I guess not here just yet but sure it'll happen. Sadly I need to order a new car soon, already been holding off for a bit to see what the new Ludicrous / Performance is like (Hopefully today) before I make my call. In reality though I'm not too worried about it. The depreciation on this car, even if it's pretty bad will simply be the amount of interest I'd have paid over 4 years on the Lotus Eletre R so irrespective, this will be a bargain at least for me if I do order a Tesla.

I'm interested in the specs of the Ludicrous M3, but likely will hold off for at least 6 months. Might even wait for an inevitable mini-refresh (the equivalent of the new console, heatpump, dechrome of the 70-plate on cars).

I have a strange feeling the M3L is going to be a bit underwhelming in terms of performance, or at least not a serious step up. I am really hoping it would be in the region of 2.5 0-60 but that seems unrealistic. Even though there is no RHD S Tesla wouldn't build a M3L to cannabilise those sales, I would've thought?

I'm interested in the specs of the Ludicrous M3, but likely will hold off for at least 6 months. Might even wait for an inevitable mini-refresh (the equivalent of the new console, heatpump, dechrome of the 70-plate on cars).

I have a strange feeling the M3L is going to be a bit underwhelming in terms of performance, or at least not a serious step up. I am really hoping it would be in the region of 2.5 0-60 but that seems unrealistic. Even though there is no RHD S Tesla wouldn't build a M3L to cannabilise those sales, I would've thought?
I'm fine to be honest with the performance from the current Model 3 Performance so not sure I care hugely that it's quicker. I'm mostly interested in the suspension and how that might be for comfort. If you say take a BMW passive suspension it might be say dialed to a 4 for instance where 1 is highest comfort and 10 is highest stiffness. With adaptive it might be comfort is a 2 and Sport is an 8 for instance so it can be both more comfortable and more sporty.

The fact it might also be available on 19's also is interesting. My big concern is the seats for longer journeys and what the range might be. Rumours suggest it's somewhat lower than the outgoing model, probably because of the wider staggered tyres at the rear.

If they did the acceleration boost for the LR still I might not have even waited to see but I have a sneaky feeling the acceleration boost won't be coming back because it brought the LR too close to the Performance in terms of acceleration. Seeing as this one might not be much faster, that still likely stands.

Are they outrageously priced? I think they are pretty similar to Tesla's pricing at least on the Seal. Tesla doesn't have cars matching the other two really to compete with them though.
Let's take the Dolphin, Europe seems to be €28,990 inc VAT, that's £25k vs £30.2 for UK. They're 11k in China.

The Seal AWD excellence is basically the same price as a model 3 long range, with a larger pack which doesn't manage the same range because it's not particularly efficient and significantly slower charging rates because they cheeped out on LFP.
The model 3 charges faster, goes further on that charge, and costs the same. It's also a known quantity unlike an early production model with an unproven dealer network (I'm not saying that Tesla is perfect by any stretch, but you know what you're getting in to)

Don't get me wrong, some people will buy it out of personal preference or because they relish the opportunity to stick two fingers up at Elon. But it's not a cost competitive option, and hence Telsa have no reason to drop prices.

Let's take the Dolphin, Europe seems to be €28,990 inc VAT, that's £25k vs £30.2 for UK. They're 11k in China.

The Seal AWD excellence is basically the same price as a model 3 long range, with a larger pack which doesn't manage the same range because it's not particularly efficient and significantly slower charging rates because they cheeped out on LFP.
The model 3 charges faster, goes further on that charge, and costs the same. It's also a known quantity unlike an early production model with an unproven dealer network (I'm not saying that Tesla is perfect by any stretch, but you know what you're getting in to)

Don't get me wrong, some people will buy it out of personal preference or because they relish the opportunity to stick two fingers up at Elon. But it's not a cost competitive option, and hence Telsa have no reason to drop prices.
Your points are valid though remember most buyers won’t have a clue about battery chemistry or anything else like that. Prices are way cheaper in China but again people can only compare against what is available for them to buy in the UK. The Seal is pretty similar to the Model 3 so they do compete but it’s early days for BYD here so currently it’s not a big risk to Tesla but is growing.

Your points are valid though remember most buyers won’t have a clue about battery chemistry or anything else like that. Prices are way cheaper in China but again people can only compare against what is available for them to buy in the UK. The Seal is pretty similar to the Model 3 so they do compete but it’s early days for BYD here so currently it’s not a big risk to Tesla but is growing.
Yup, competition is really heating up in China, and Telsa prices are dropping as a result. In the UK they're, at best, testing the market. Hence Tesla are keeping prices high.

Battery chemistry and soforth, buyers will likely look at the WLTP and maybe the idealised 10-80 charge speed. On those metrics, it's not a particularly competitive car at the same price.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chickenlips
So Tesla have decided to make their cars more affordable around the planet.

Except for us idiots in the UK. Who are currently paying nearly £5K more for an entry model 3 than they do in Germany.

Oh and the cherry on top is higher finance interest rates.

I love the cars, but this 'take customers for fools' policy Tesla UK is pursuing is beginning to really annoy me.

It's a free market buy something else is the normal retort to the above complaint. Sadly I've yet to find a viable alternative when factoring in range, efficiency, tech etc etc.

Sigh !!

Assume you voted to Remain then, Tomorrowman? Because the major reason we have higher prices than Europe is due to us leaving the European Union