Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Road Tax on Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car is taxed when you get it.
You may have to wait a week or so to get your V5.
Additionally you may find that your registration doesn't appear in some databases (eg the ones insurance companies use to get your make & model details) for a week or so.
Just check when you get your car that the reg on the number plates is what you expected it to be (and the front plate and rear plate match).

Your car is taxed when you get it.

Covering all bases, should be true when the car is new.

But may not be the case for a vehicle from inventory and it has been pre registered. Even if you think the car is new inventory, best double check its registration and tax status in case a misunderstanding, error or slight of hand has occurred. In the case of a pre registered vehicle, the onus is on the purchaser to ensure it is correctly taxed. TBH, as its so easy to do, a quick tax and insurance status check a few days after collection/delivery is probably prudent.

I use an app on my phone called Vehicle Smart to store the details of the families cars and bikes. It'll flag up if the car isn't taxed, needs and MOT etc. etc. So can run the check for you.

It doesn't do insurance though, you need to tell it when that'd due for it to remind you.

The App is free also.

Hi, does anyone know how you road tax a new Tesla? I have my delivery booked for the 25th November, do you get the V5C in the car on delivery and tax using that? (I know it is £0)
I assume you have paid cash not financed the car?
if its financed of leased you will never see the V5 since it will go to the finance company in most cases

.. and for completeness, after a year you'll get a reminder in the post to renew, log on to a website then agree to the £0 fee. While this may sound mad, just wait until you try the London congestion charge.

Thanks for your replies. It was probably a stupid question of me, never brought a new car before. I paid cash so will wait for v5. Glad they overturned the premium car tax on EVs, that would have probably stopped me from buying one.
No one likes tax but the additional rate would have been about £1500 over 6 years i.e. half the cost of the grant you are getting or put another way about the same as the cost of your 19" wheels. Is that really the thing that would have swung it for you?