Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again - to beat a drum - do BMW and co heavily push the fact that software updates are a foundational part of their ethos? Tesla does.

If Tesla want to go down the road of obsoleting old platforms prematurely as a sales lever that's fine, but don't trade off of the "your car gets better over time" then.

It sucks that you had a 6-12 month old car and missed out on a significant update, it also sucks that people with just over 2 year old cars are going to miss out on everything UI V12 is going to offer. Right now it's not much, but that will change. The difference with BMW is that they never suggested that you would get these updates, it was just a bonus if it was available.
Sorry but I just don't agree with this. The "your car gets better over time" does not mean "your car gets every single update we put out in the future".

Now if they came out and said "we will no longer be putting out new updates for the intel based cars, they are dead to us" that's different but they haven't. They are still giving you updates but they are avoiding giving you ones that they feel would be too slow for the Intel cars.

They have HW4 out, they are still building autopilot with HW3 as the prime.

Honestly if they came out and added it to Intel but made the interface all laggy and horrible, I find it hard to believe the Intel folks wouldn't be up in arms about that either. The world moves forwards, technology improves and sadly if you want to keep up you have to upgrade. You also don't need to, a few UI tweaks is not going change the overall functionality of your cars, it'll still have the best UI of any car out there.

Honestly if they came out and added it to Intel but made the interface all laggy and horrible, I find it hard to believe the Intel folks wouldn't be up in arms about that either.
This is also my take on it. Forking the code for different UIs creates addition code, testing and cost. They've not done this for LOLz, and the change isn't enough to encourage new car sales.

Green with the "behind the scenes" and "work in progress" stuff from this release.

For those non-Twits
Other (than the release notes) stuff from 2024.14.3
- Amazon music playback support
- beginning of what looks like "tesla voice assistant" that would be activated by a wakeword (Aka car always listening for it), narrated by "Jenny Neutral" voice by Microsoft.
- X11 compositor compton (previously qtcar was its own compositor)
- ffmpeg (expanded gpl violation, since previously it was only present on autopilot)
- confirmation dialog for rerouting
- scary message for service mode ("CAUTION - Improper use of Service Mode could result in loss of vehicle operation, permanent vehicle damage, or serious personal injury.")
- user data erase added
- new track mode windows with a bunch of settings about stability control and whatnot
- "restricted drivers" that have extra restrictions, profile icon will have "training wheels" attached.
- Driver occupancy sensor (resistive pad) in the seat is on the way out
- another pack type that affects weight (remember how LiFePo packs are heavier, but don't add extra capacity? now there's another one that affects weight in a different amount)
- Wishbone [Warp] wheel [assets] 19 and 20" for model 3 refresh

Reactions: thax1 and dombera
"Drive Occupancy on the way out" - The seat sensors do fail, so my assumption is that they're doing a "the best part of no part at all" on this.
I guess they've start with neural nets to detect occupancy via cabin cam, they'll log data comparing this vs bum sensors for the next few releases, then do away with the resistive sensor if the nets prove accurate

Sorry but I just don't agree with this. The "your car gets better over time" does not mean "your car gets every single update we put out in the future".
I know it doesn't say that, but I also didn't say that, so I'm not sure what point you're making here. There are tangible benefits to this new UI (full screen Autopilot visualisation, redesigned music interface) that Atom folks won't get. You can argue that these aren't important to you (which isn't an argument) but they are nevertheless changes. More will no doubt follow in the coming months that will be more substantial.

Now if they came out and said "we will no longer be putting out new updates for the intel based cars, they are dead to us" that's different but they haven't. They are still giving you updates but they are avoiding giving you ones that they feel would be too slow for the Intel cars.

They have HW4 out, they are still building autopilot with HW3 as the prime.

Honestly if they came out and added it to Intel but made the interface all laggy and horrible, I find it hard to believe the Intel folks wouldn't be up in arms about that either. The world moves forwards, technology improves and sadly if you want to keep up you have to upgrade. You also don't need to, a few UI tweaks is not going change the overall functionality of your cars, it'll still have the best UI of any car out there.
That's a fair point. I guess ultimately though this feels less like "this stuff will run slow on Atoms" and more like "we're changing our attitude towards software updates to be more like planned obsolescence, to encourage sales". That attitude is also fine, and not unusual in the tech world, but it is a departure from what people have been used to.

This is also my take on it. Forking the code for different UIs creates addition code, testing and cost. They've not done this for LOLz, and the change isn't enough to encourage new car sales.
It's not different code though. Both Atom and Ryzen are the same x86 architecture. For sure the new UI would have run worse on Atom, but I'd question whether it would run terribly given it seems to be able to play the games that are preinstalled well enough. Why can't we have the choice to use it even if it's a bit choppier?

And yes - this change alone isn't enough to encourage new car sales. Let's see what else comes out in the coming months that is V12/Ryzen only, eh?

No it's not confirmed, in fact it's already known not to be true because they get all the new rerouting, traffic updates, Audible app and so on.

People are foaming at the mouth here because their car won't get a shiny new 3D model when parked.
It's a shame you're saying that people are "foaming at the mouth" when previously you expressed sympathy towards people upset at feeling like they were being left behind. Was the previous position tokenistic?

There is a certain feeling of liberation now that I know that my car is no longer a glorified changeable software platform on wheels.
It's obsolete now, so hopefully it will remain what it is now (minus a few safety tweaks here or there) and I won't have to keep "learning" a new software and its foibles.

I think I'm just too grumpy for the Tesla Software roller coaster these days... I'll just keep enjoying the awesome drive :)

I know it doesn't say that, but I also didn't say that, so I'm not sure what point you're making here. There are tangible benefits to this new UI (full screen Autopilot visualisation, redesigned music interface) that Atom folks won't get. You can argue that these aren't important to you (which isn't an argument) but they are nevertheless changes. More will no doubt follow in the coming months that will be more substantial.

That's a fair point. I guess ultimately though this feels less like "this stuff will run slow on Atoms" and more like "we're changing our attitude towards software updates to be more like planned obsolescence, to encourage sales". That attitude is also fine, and not unusual in the tech world, but it is a departure from what people have been used to.

It's not different code though. Both Atom and Ryzen are the same x86 architecture. For sure the new UI would have run worse on Atom, but I'd question whether it would run terribly given it seems to be able to play the games that are preinstalled well enough. Why can't we have the choice to use it even if it's a bit choppier?

And yes - this change alone isn't enough to encourage new car sales. Let's see what else comes out in the coming months that is V12/Ryzen only, eh?

It's a shame you're saying that people are "foaming at the mouth" when previously you expressed sympathy towards people upset at feeling like they were being left behind. Was the previous position tokenistic?
When I mention foaming at the mouth, that is mostly coming from you I think as you seem to be taking this rather badly. I get your disappointed but you’re exaggerating the impact and insisting that they’ve done it on purpose as planned obsolescence.

You seemed sure that the Atom is perfectly capable of running this but now you just want a toggle switch so you can have the option of turning on a slow and laggy UI if you want it. That makes no sense for Tesla to offer that, who in their right mind really wants that.

It’s clearly not going to drive new car sales, as you rightly say they run the same code bases so why would they do this? It’ll actually be more expensive for them from a development point of view to have to maintain both the old and new UI’s than giving everyone the new UI. The only logical reason really is that the Atom cannot run it in my eyes.

As far as I can tell and believe. It's simply they need something new and shiny in their showrooms to sell people new cars, probably especially in China where this is really important. It doesn't change how the car operates, it's just something new and fresh for their demo cars for the most part.

Now on the other hand if they fixed the windscreen wipers and but only offered that to HW4 cars for instance, then that would be a more valid reason to be upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: dombera
From my perspective, yes I want new stuff but stuff that actually delivers an improvement that's functional.
I don't get the special attraction about a graphic of the car when parked. How is that improving my experience?
Similarly, visual enhancements. So what? The car doesn't drive differently or offer any different behaviour, other than showing a different presentation of a dumbed down environment, which I don't need, because if I look out of the window, I have a full colour, high resolution version!
Without wishing to appear negative, this is fiddling while Rome burns.

From my perspective, yes I want new stuff but stuff that actually delivers an improvement that's functional.
I don't get the special attraction about a graphic of the car when parked. How is that improving my experience?
Similarly, visual enhancements. So what? The car doesn't drive differently or offer any different behaviour, other than showing a different presentation of a dumbed down environment, which I don't need, because if I look out of the window, I have a full colour, high resolution version!
Without wishing to appear negative, this is fiddling while Rome burns.
I would suggest that the UI is there to serve all drivers and all cars, not to just meet your specific requirements and opinions. The 'big visualisation' is of very limited use to us in the UK, but probably more interesting to US, Canada, and soon China and Europe where FSD is coming soon. Maintaining different UIs for different countries will just make if difficult to deliver future features to your car. Say for example the new AutoPark that's coming, it would need two different UIs to support v11 and v12.

This is exactly the same as any computer based technology, you can't get a feature from the next iOS or Android without upgrading the UI, hardware support for M3 macs requires the new UI elements of OSX. It's how technology works.

I would suggest that the UI is there to serve all drivers and all cars, not to just meet your specific requirements and opinions. The 'big visualisation' is of very limited use to us in the UK, but probably more interesting to US, Canada, and soon China and Europe where FSD is coming soon. Maintaining different UIs for different countries will just make if difficult to deliver future features to your car. Say for example the new AutoPark that's coming, it would need two different UIs to support v11 and v12.

This is exactly the same as any computer based technology, you can't get a feature from the next iOS or Android without upgrading the UI, hardware support for M3 macs requires the new UI elements of OSX. It's how technology works.
Do not most cars with Intel have USS also if not all of them? I have to be honest but I suspect Elon’s coming in the future won’t be true and you’ll keep the Autopark you’ve always had.

Just not sure they’ll program it to also show up USS readings so if they enabled it, would potentially be a case of turning off the USS in those cars. They’ve probably read Zilla91’s posts and decided they don’t want to go that route. ;)