Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Ultra High Fidelity Sound" option - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rumor is that Tesla will use the storage for other purposes like caching Google Maps tiles, so I think it will pay off in the long term. I have never used on-board storage in any of my cars because I find its a pain to maintain, so this seems like a good idea for me, but YMMV. But agree, would be nice to get a Tesla USB stick. :)

O

I had thought they included a larger NAND/storage footprint for the upgraded sound package. When they removed the "1,000 storage" from the standard sound, I assumed they reclaimed this for the map tiles but those with the "Studio Sound" package would still have some space left over.

With my previous vehicles/head units, I've found the metabase/organization was more optimally integrated with onboard storage vs the constant scanning/refreshing required by removable media and my primary reason for opting for it.

This is what a tesla rep told me.

8) for the 580W stereo upgrade, the website indicates "3000 Songs" this could mean anything, are you to tell me the exact storage space? EX: 32GB, 16GB, etc

There is about 1GB of space without tech package, and 8GB formatted with tech package.

hopefully they will include support for exFAT or NTFS, then you can just buy a 64GBUSB Stick for a couple bucks and have lots of storage.
i know the system supports EXT4 but its kind of annoying to spin up a linux vm just for music, or have some type of third party connector for ext4 volumes.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...47&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Last edited:
AC1K

I have a 500gb slim usb drive plugged into the USB port with over 40,000 songs on it and it works no problem. You can format large drives as FAT32 (USB HD or Flash Drives) in a Mac as "Windows" format or download one of the many format utilities to format large drives...

Aaron

This is what a tesla rep told me.

8) for the 580W stereo upgrade, the website indicates "3000 Songs" this could mean anything, are you to tell me the exact storage space? EX: 32GB, 16GB, etc

There is about 1GB of space without tech package, and 8GB formatted with tech package.

hopefully they will include support for exFAT or NTFS, then you can just buy a 64GBUSB Stick for a couple bucks and have lots of storage.
i know the system supports EXT4 but its kind of annoying to spin up a linux vm just for music, or have some type of third party connector for ext4 volumes.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...47&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

I have the original "sound studio" in my 2012 P85. It's good (actually good enough for me at this point), but not what I would call "out of this world". I had no intention of purchasing the "basic" system originally and a $900 option for the "updated system" seemed on par with upgraded systems from other manufacturers. I would have to listen to the $2500 system very carefully, with specific sources and material (Internet, USB, FLAC, Radio, etc.) before spending that much on an upgrade. I think the difference between the base system would be more significant than the difference between the "studio" and "ulitmate."

Was in the Tysons Corner Va store today. Asked about the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package. They told me it is exactly the same as the Studio Sound package in my car. same speakers. Same amps. They stated that the package was renamed simply due to the change in price.

for $2800 CAD this is the bare minimum i would expect for an "ultra high fidelity" system

main screen capable of playing any format audio and video

7ch amp 100w+ RMS per ch ($400)
2 way component center with cross overs (2" tweeter, 2x 3" kevlar mids) ($150)
3 way component front left and right with cross overs (2" tweet, 4" kevlar mid, 6" kevlar woofer) ($250)
2 way co-axial left and right with cross overs (1" tweet, 6" kevlar woofer) ($80)
2 way co-axial left and right rear with cross over 1" tweet, 4" kevlar woofer) ($80)

monoblock amp 750W RMS @ 2ohms ($300)
2x 10" sub titanium or aluminum cone ($200)

tons of cables and other misc parts ($200)
big 1000CCA battery ($200)

these are retail prices too, parts would cost $1860, $1000 left over, if tesla got 10,000 units of each, they would get a very nice discount im sure.

I picked the sound studio as the first option to have. If there was a better system available at that time I would've bought it.

Seriously, at what point, the system is not discernible to regular ears? Anyone was in the TESLIVE event? I visited the audio booth and sat in the MS with the $9,000 after market audio system installed. I play 'Bridge over trouble water' from Slacker, but there is really not a whole lot of difference to tell between the $9,000 system and my sound studio package.

I now have a 1TB USB drive connected via USB, where I have some music in FLAC. Without comparison, I can't say they are better or worse.

I guess I will just think this is the good-enough system to enjoy in the MS, until someone blows me away with a comparison hearing.

I hope for the sake of the folks ordering the new "Ultra High Fidelity Sound" that it does actually involve some new components (especially speaker drivers made by a manufacturer that knows something about audio). If it is the same as the "Sound Studio" in my P85+ that was delivered two weeks ago, then it is definitely not worth the money. The audio in my P85+ is actually so horrifically bad, that I cannot listen to it for long periods of time, and I am definitely going aftermarket. I am dismayed that Tesla allow their marketing department to set the price of the options, because there is definitely some customer gouging going on here. It really is too bad.... Love the car and the driving experience, but the options are definitely not up to scratch for a luxury sedan priced well over $100k. Not even close.

I hope for the sake of the folks ordering the new "Ultra High Fidelity Sound" that it does actually involve some new components (especially speaker drivers made by a manufacturer that knows something about audio). If it is the same as the "Sound Studio" in my P85+ that was delivered two weeks ago, then it is definitely not worth the money. The audio in my P85+ is actually so horrifically bad, that I cannot listen to it for long periods of time, and I am definitely going aftermarket. I am dismayed that Tesla allow their marketing department to set the price of the options, because there is definitely some customer gouging going on here. It really is too bad.... Love the car and the driving experience, but the options are definitely not up to scratch for a luxury sedan priced well over $100k. Not even close.

Tesla doesn't make its own speakers - that is a myth and legend. Tesla purchases speakers from OEM manufacturers, the only thing Tesla does on its own is manufacture the housings for those speakers. It then assembles them all together. The myth that Tesla makes its own speakers was started by someone who saw them assembling the speakers w/ housings in the factory - assuming it was all in house. I think we should stop knocking Tesla for making its own speakers - it doesn't.

I recently had Reus redo my MS's audio, and the difference is substantial (replacing the Sound Studio). Staging and clarity are greatly improved, and the weak bass is now fine (and tunable on the fly with a separate knob on the driver's seat). I listened to a set of music (FLAC burned from CDs) before and after the upgrade, and it's a very satisfying upgrade. At $1000, the Sound Studio was a decent buy for mid-range upgrades, but it's seriously overpriced at $2500. Find someone like Reus Systems to do it right (or do the best given your budget).

I recently had Reus redo my MS's audio, and the difference is substantial (replacing the Sound Studio). Staging and clarity are greatly improved, and the weak bass is now fine (and tunable on the fly with a separate knob on the driver's seat). I listened to a set of music (FLAC burned from CDs) before and after the upgrade, and it's a very satisfying upgrade. At $1000, the Sound Studio was a decent buy for mid-range upgrades, but it's seriously overpriced at $2500. Find someone like Reus Systems to do it right (or do the best given your budget).

Good to know Robert! Can you elaborate on what components used and the price?