Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultrasonics broken funny, anyone seen it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Got the car back from the SC last Tuesday, and found that auto-lane-change had stopped working. A while later, I noticed that the ultrasonic range sensors weren't working, which I assume was causing the auto-lane-change issue.

But here's the rub.... the sensors for the FRONT of the car work in the morning, but only when the car is in REVERSE gear. Pretty much worthless. The sensors in the rear of the car don't ever work(even in DRIVE). And after even a mile of driving, the front sensors stop working completely.

I've got a ranger appointment to fix this, but if its a known issue I might be able to fix it sooner.

I've already done both a soft reboot and power-off reboot, to no avail.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there's a failsafe in there to disable auto-lane-change and navigate on autopilot if the sensors aren't working.

I have a ranger coming to visit on Tuesday, and I suspect they'll need to arrange it to visit a SC for the real repair. In any case, I'll report back what the cause was.

Reactions: UltralightBeam
Got the car back from the SC last Tuesday, and found that auto-lane-change had stopped working. A while later, I noticed that the ultrasonic range sensors weren't working, which I assume was causing the auto-lane-change issue.

But here's the rub.... the sensors for the FRONT of the car work in the morning, but only when the car is in REVERSE gear. Pretty much worthless. The sensors in the rear of the car don't ever work(even in DRIVE). And after even a mile of driving, the front sensors stop working completely.

I've got a ranger appointment to fix this, but if its a known issue I might be able to fix it sooner.

I've already done both a soft reboot and power-off reboot, to no avail.

Thanks!
What software version?

What software version?

Like I mentioned, it started when I had the car at the SC about a month ago, so I doubt its a direct result of the particular SW revision. That said, the front ultrasonics only working in reverse is a pretty good sign its SW related. But that doesn't explain the rear ultrasonics being completely off.

As I think about it, I think I saw them updating the SW while it was in the SC... so it could well be busted SW.

Service ranger was able to fix it. Found that one of the(or maybe the only) connector to the PDC(Parking Distance Control) unit was not fully inserted. Sounds like the PDC lives in the trunk somewhere, based on reports of where he was poking around. Betcha a parts list search could find it quickly.

I'm gonna open another thread for a windshield washer issue the SR was unable to fix. It wasn't on the official list of issues, but he looked at it anyway and was unable to explain it.

In any case, the ultrasonics are working fine now, and I have my auto-lane-change working again!

Reactions: UltralightBeam
Service ranger was able to fix it. Found that one of the(or maybe the only) connector to the PDC(Parking Distance Control) unit was not fully inserted. Sounds like the PDC lives in the trunk somewhere, based on reports of where he was poking around. Betcha a parts list search could find it quickly.

I'm gonna open another thread for a windshield washer issue the SR was unable to fix. It wasn't on the official list of issues, but he looked at it anyway and was unable to explain it.

In any case, the ultrasonics are working fine now, and I have my auto-lane-change working again!

Not inserted correctly from delivery or that it came loose at some point? Dropping car off Monday after a botched service spot this past Wednesday... grrr

Not inserted correctly from delivery or that it came loose at some point? Dropping car off Monday after a botched service spot this past Wednesday... grrr

Sorry to say it was almost definitely a result of the service. It worked before service for sure, and auto-lane-change did not work after service(literally on the drive away from the SC). The fact that the PDC wasn't working was recognized shortly thereafter.

Sorry to say it was almost definitely a result of the service. It worked before service for sure, and auto-lane-change did not work after service(literally on the drive away from the SC). The fact that the PDC wasn't working was recognized shortly thereafter.
Interesting. Thanks for the update. Tomorrow I'll hopefully find out more... This, for me, just randomly popped up outta no where but very similar problems.