Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ummm... My car won't turn on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure that under Controls / Display settings you have power saving to "off" and the "always on" box checked. Otherwise your displays will power off and may take some time to boot.

Driving in Minnesota for 2 winters was not a problem other than a severe drop in range. No issues starting the car at any temperature.

Keep the car plugged every night

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I
Make sure that under Controls / Display settings you have power saving to "off" and the "always on" box checked. Otherwise your displays will power off and may take some time to boot.

Driving in Minnesota for 2 winters was not a problem other than a severe drop in range. No issues starting the car at any temperature.

Keep the car plugged every night
I do almost every night but when the car finishes charging, does it really need to stay plugged in?

I already charge to 90% so how much extra can I charge? Or do you mean just more pit stops throughout my day to get smaller top up charges?

You don't need to charge during the day unless travelling long distance - just plug in every evening and fill to 90%. On the P85D I can get a 170-180 mile trip in winter time, but that is paying attention to speed and energy usage. At 75 mph with heating on I get close to 450-500 Wh/mi in very cold winter time. I suspect your X may be using a little more energy than that. It also helps to preheat the car in the morning before disconnecting the plug.

I already charge to 90% so how much extra can I charge? Or do you mean just more pit stops throughout my day to get smaller top up charges?
You shouldn't need to charge more on a normal day just driving around town unless you do an extreme amount of driving on your normal day. Cold only becomes a practical concern when you're driving long distances, then figure up to 30% reduction in range so plan to stop to charge more often or spend more time at superchargers.

Does that do anything? I thought when it finishes charging it no longer takes any juice, hence the phantom drain...

The mistake I do keep making though is that I should be heating my car while it's still plugged in. Its frigging cold in here! My heated seat is on, but every time it gets really warm it seems to shut off. Yet another question for TMC; is this normal? Or anlther thing to add to my "list" for the SC next week?
Remember, a connected Model S is a happy Model S, and that goes for the Model X too.
A connected Model S is a happy Model S

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
You shouldn't need to charge more on a normal day just driving around town unless you do an extreme amount of driving on your normal day. Cold only becomes a practical concern when you're driving long distances, then figure up to 30% reduction in range so plan to stop to charge more often or spend more time at superchargers.
On a "normal day" I do a ton of driving. My car is only about 2 ½ months new. I'm at 12,000+ km. It would probably be much higher if the SC didn't have it for 2 weeks last month.

I meant that u will have much higher Wh/km (or Wh/mile) energy usage in cold weather. So with the same battery soc, u can reach a shorter distance in winter as opposed to summer time. If you have charging at home and at work, things should be easy in winter.

I do almost every night but when the car finishes charging, does it really need to stay plugged in?

One significant advantage of leaving it plugged in during winter is that you can pre-heat the vehicle before you leave using grid power instead of your batteries.

And as a side bonus, I cannot remember the last time I had to scrape snow or ice off windows in my S, pre-heating does an amazing job of it.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
Well, it is Feb 2022 and my 2017 model X wouldn't start up this morning. Here is my story. Wife goes to use car. Won't power up. I failed too. Called Tesla Road service. They couldn't connect with the car. Car would not reboot with many ties up to 2 minutes of brake and buttons down. Called Road service. Went out sometime later and tried again. At first it wouldn't start and then it came alive. I again called Tesla Road Service and told them it was working. Ask if they could connect in and find what was wrong. They said the car looked perfect. They even told me that I had pushed the break and accelerator at the same time a couple of days previous. Very matter of factly They said that there was a firmware install that failed that day and then completed. ................. She continued telling other events. Wait.. Did you catch that? A car can't be started while it is undergoing a software install. Could that be the reason? I think so, but I could be wrong. If Tesla reads this I would make a suggestion they replace the message on the screen to read "SOFTWARE BEING INSTALLED. VEHICLE WILL NOT START."

I do know that during an update the car is unusable, however I have never tried. I always receive message telling me a new software update has been downloaded, I have to tell it to go ahead, and then I get a message that it is complete. Did you get those? I always assumed during an update the car would be dead, no screens, etc. but your suggestion makes sense, that it should be displayed on the screen that there is an update in progress. I would think that Tesla would have also seen that it was in the middle of an update.