Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A connected Model S is a happy Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always keep your MS plugged in.

official.JPG

If my MS is plugged in but not scheduled to charge until late at night, does the car still draw some power from the wall for systems maintenance?

My MS on .61 will draw power after it has done it's charging for the night. I have completed the charge at 9 pm, only to find my MS using shore power at 9 am. I have found the charge port to be green at 9 am. The ambient temperature is 75 degrees. I don't know why.

This brings an interesting question that I was going to start a new thread for, but might as well just ask it here. I almost never charge at home. Like, maybe once a month, but usually less. I charge at work, at the gym, or once in a blue moon if I'm randomly near the SLC supercharger I'll plug in there if it's not crowded. I don't drive too much on a daily basis (unless traveling) so I'm usually in between 50%-90% charge day to day.

I went away for a few days last week. My car was down to 69% when I parked it inside the garage Tuesday night. I set the charge limit to 50% and actually plugged it into the charger as I left. So it was plugged in, but wasn't actually charging.

I have the car set to never sleep and always connected, so I get a little more vampire drain then some people but that's ok.

Anyway, I got back Sunday night and it had fallen down to 57% charge, which is roughly what I've seen in the past for vampire drain, and it hadn't needed to actually charge while I was gone. (According to TeslaFi) What's odd is my housemate mentioned that the fans in the car had been running a lot over the few days I was gone. She said probably once a day she could hear it humming away for a bit of time (randomly) from the living room upstairs above the garage. It's never had the fans come on in all the time I've owned it while parked in there unplugged though. It's usually a steady 55-70 degrees or so in there during the summer.

Even if I don't plan on charging at home, should I be plugging in the car while it's parked overnight (but not charging?). What would cause the fans to kick on occasionally while plugged in but not charging?

Last edited:
What was the ambient temperature?
In the summer the garage is set to a minimum of 60 and a max of 75. (heats if below, cools if above). It's 1/2 underground so it rarely needs to be actively heated or cooled. Right now for example it's 81 degrees outside, but only 70 in the garage. Garage doors have been shut all day.

/edit and my housemates park in the driveway, so the garage doors weren't open at all while I was gone.

/edit 2. I just double checked, It's actually set to cool if it's below 75. Also to check I just plugged in but have the charge set to 50% (car is at 84% charge). It's humming away quietly doing something but not charging. I haven't heard the fans kick on yet like she described though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PV-EV
Very curious! Is it possible there was a key fob close enough to the car that the climate control or some other function was running, which might not normally be?

Both key fobs were well out of range of the car. I just went down and checked again (without key fob) and the quiet humming has now stopped. It was the type of humming I associate with the 12v charging cycle for that battery. No fans so far. Massive thunderstorm rolling over the mountain now though so I might unplug out of caution until it passes.

So, two things were different. The car was plugged in, and you set it to remain connected. My guess is that being connected caused a higher drain on the 12v battery, since the car wouldn't go into a deep sleep, and therefore need to replenish it more often, thus causing the car to kick in the main battery to recharge it, which is what you heard.

Nothing specifically related to it being plugged in, then. Since it didn't get down to the 50% charge trigger, it didn't need to actually charge.

So, two things were different. The car was plugged in, and you set it to remain connected. My guess is that being connected caused a higher drain on the 12v battery, since the car wouldn't go into a deep sleep, and therefore need to replenish it more often, thus causing the car to kick in the main battery to recharge it, which is what you heard.

Nothing specifically related to it being plugged in, then. Since it didn't get down to the 50% charge trigger, it didn't need to actually charge.
I'm thinking this was it, but at the same time she did say she heard it from upstairs. Like the cooling fans that I have heard before while charging. The quiet hum I heard earlier is not discernible from outside of the garage. It's plugged in now, set to 50% so we will see if I pick it up toingiht or tomorrow. She might have been exaggerating.

/edit. Also the car is always set to always connected/never sleep. Been that way since I bought it. I have heard the quiet hum from earlier before randomly, but the fans like she described I've only heard while charging. Time will tell.

Well separate from the fans mystery, my question really is....

Is a plugged in but not charging Tesla still a happy Tesla or is it indifferent until it drops below the set charge limit? Is there any benefit to leaving your car plugged in when you don't want to charge? As I mentioned in my original post, I don't charge at home. Is there any real reason to leave it plugged in in this case?

I can possibly see a reason in extreme temperature situations (especially low temps), but in my case it's in a temperature controlled indoor garage.