Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unbelievable !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just bought a used higher mileage tesla model s from a private owner - he assured me that he had the extended warranty and that it conveyed to me by simply calling tesla and informing them of change in ownership and providing associated verifications ... I call tesla ... They stumble and bumble and call me back to inform me that starting in 2016 extended warranties no longer transferred and that instead they are allowing the previous owner to submit a claim to receive a prorated amount of what they paid back ... Is this true ? After all this talk about customer service and how extended warranties positively affected value could the company simply change the rules without appropriate notifications and leave folks like me high and dry ... All, please chime in and help me understand what's going on!?

So I just bought a used higher mileage tesla model s from a private owner - he assured me that he had the extended warranty and that it conveyed to me by simply calling tesla and informing them of change in ownership and providing associated verifications ... I call tesla ... They stumble and bumble and call me back to inform me that starting in 2016 extended warranties no longer transferred and that instead they are allowing the previous owner to submit a claim to receive a prorated amount of what they paid back ... Is this true ? After all this talk about customer service and how extended warranties positively affected value could the company simply change the rules without appropriate notifications and leave folks like me high and dry ... All, please chime in and help me understand what's going on!?

You are correct, extended warranties are no longer transferrable.

I don't mean to be rude but don't you think you should have called Tesla or a local gallery to confirm the previous owner claims BEFORE buying?

Hope you enjoy the car nonetheless!

The ESA agreement on the Canadian web site still reads as below. Perhaps someone could verify the US agreement terms.

J. Transfer of this Vehicle ESA

Contact Tesla and submit the following:

1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner.

2. CAD$100 transfer fee.

3. This Vehicle ESA.

4. Written evidence verifying all maintenance requirements have been met.

5. A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.

6. Documents verifying transference of the Vehicle ESA, if applicable.
Conditions:

1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different

private owner of the same Vehicle.

2. The Vehicle is subject to inspection.

3. Transfer must take place within 30 days of change of ownership.

4. You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.

5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.

You are correct, extended warranties are no longer transferrable.

I don't mean to be rude but don't you think you should have called Tesla or a local gallery to confirm the previous owner claims BEFORE buying?

Hope you enjoy the car nonetheless!
Hmm. I know that changed around the beginning of the year but I thought Tesla reversed those changes a week or so later.

@Philly1263
"So I just bought a used higher mileage tesla model s from a private owner"

Do you know when the original owner took delivery? The VIN should end with "aFb#####"; what letter is present where the "a" is (the letter preceding the "F")?

I would call corporate to confirm (844) 248-3752.

From Service plans...

Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Extended Service Agreement towards an Extended Service Agreement for a new Tesla Model S or Model X. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service for more information. You can view these Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account. Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan.​

This doesn't sound right.

I bought a used MS about 3 weeks ago from a private party.
It is still within the original factory warranty period (it's a 2013).
The seller added the $4k ESA before we did the transaction.
The warranty is still not showing up in my "my Tesla" account,
but I've spoken to Tesla tech support a few times, today included,
and they have told me that they do see the warranty associated
with the car, and that it should show up soon.

I thought the thing about being able to recoup the money that's in the
extended warranty was that if you own a Tesla, and there's some (or all)
of the $4k ESA remaining on the car, and you trade it into Tesla to get a
new Tesla, then they will allow you to move that balance over to your new car.

I don't think the seller can grab that money back at this point.
Also, there seems to be a bunch of confusion due to the fact that Tesla calls their
extended warranty an "Extended *Service* Agreement", and they also have
prepaid maintenance plans that they call "*Service* plans". The reuse of the
word "Service" is really annoying. It may be possible to cash out the maintenance
plans, but from what I've heard, extended warranties stick with the car.

Reactions: Philly1263
this is what happens when you trust a seller and do not conduct your own due diligence.

D = 2013

IANAL but.... Check with the Seller. As long as he got the extended warranty before the changes in 2016, then you and the Seller have a legitimate argument (IMO) that they can't change the terms after the warranty was purchased. DO NOT MENTION LAWYERS but I would follow-up with Tesla politely that you think they should honor the terms of the warranty that were in place when that warranty was purchased.

So ... I reference the work the local Rockville Maryland service center did for PO in February that indicates covered under extended service plan ... They service manager tells me they did that work for free by mistake .... Really?! And that the extended service plan can transfer to the second owner but not the third owner ... Folks, I can tell you for sure the CPO or manufacturer extended warranties with every other car manufacturer in the world transfer to owners for a small fee regardless of being second or third owner ... This is silliness and I get the distinct feeling with the folks I talked to and the dancing and calling back they did , that they were only slightly more versed than I was on what's going on ... I took a chance on a higher mile tesla in part because of the world class service everybody talks about ... Nothing is wrong with my car , but with the car I got an infrastructure that's seems new and uncertain about many things around them ... Floating policy, repaired under warranty by mistake, let me research that and I'll call you back , etc. come on Elon!

From...

Service plans

which is their NEW wordage:

"
Can I transfer my Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?

Yes, you can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service Agreement with the sale of your Tesla. In addition, we’re going to take this opportunity to go one step further: Tesla owners can transfer the unused value of your Extended Service Agreement towards an Extended Service Agreement for a new Tesla Model S or Model X. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for your Tesla Service Plan or Extended Service for more information. You can view these Terms and Conditions after logging into your Tesla account. Click on “Services Sign Up” and following the appropriate link for your chosen plan."

So either Tesla is violating their own policies. There was another blog after the recent controversial interpretation of the ESA wording where Tesla re-affirmed that the ESA would continue to be transferrable.

Of course that was taken with a grain of salt since Tesla hasn't yet fixed the actual contract wording.

OP - you have a legal claim against the prior owner I believe even though it sounds like it was only an oral promise. I would demand some money back and if he refuses take him to small claims court - he may decide it is not worth his hassle to fight you and cough up some $.

Even if Tesla were to change the warranty policies for new purchases -- as they would be well within
their rights to do -- I don't see how they can jump in their time machine and go back and change
the policies applying to existing warranties for previous sales, since the terms of those warranties were
part of what those customers bought in those sales.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones and Vitold