Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under Hood insulation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen the RPM kit, and a couple videos here. It seems like covering the exposed metal on the underside of the hood would be a great idea.

Couple thoughts here:
1) it protects the hood from being dented from inside the frunk.
2) it looks a lot more finished with some nice felt
3) it provides some minimal insulation for the frunk
4) it provides some sound deadening?

I was thinking just cutting some stick on sound deadening directly on the bottom of the hood. Some thin insulating type product, then some felt to finish it off.

I'm scared to dent my hood, it would look better, temps should be lower, not sure sound would do much...

Discuss! :)

I did this. I used stick-on sound dampening material (that I originally got for a computer) 0.3 inches thick combined with a sound insulation panel from AliExpress. I think it helps cut down on noise coming from the front of the car but I didn't make any measurements.

It was tricky to install on my own but I finally managed after climbing into the frunk (I'm only 5' 3"). The added layer of sound insulation made the installation a little more difficult.

The panel from AliExpress was called For Tesla Model Y Front Trunk Lid Sound Insulation Cotton Interior Hood Dustproof and Soundproof Modification Accessories. I've had good luck getting accessories from AliExpress and Amazon instead of Tesla specific retailers. The stuff from AliExpress takes longer to ship.

I've had it for about 8 months with no problems after I finished the installation. I think it looks much better than the bare metal. Maybe I've just gotten used to them but the sounds from the front don't bother me anymore. If I got a new car, I would do it again. IMO the panel from AliExpress (< $20 with shipping) was well worth it.

Reactions: reefer_bob