Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under-staffed GUI/software staff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Modex X owner I agree the GUI leaves a bit to be desired. Basic things like ordering the presets on the FM radio or automatically switching to streaming from FM when you go “up” past the last channel but going to another source when you go “down” (if I’m on FM I want to stay on FM!). Or having to press the defroster button twice for hot air (how in the world would anyone know this?). There are a bunch of little things like this that I can’t imagine would be difficult to improve upon. It looks like it’s just not a priority for Tesla, which is unfortunate. I understand they have a limited set of resources and I agree they should be focusing on Autopilot. However, it would be nice if they could spare a little more effort.

Reactions: davidc18
As a Modex X owner I agree the GUI leaves a bit to be desired. Basic things like ordering the presets on the FM radio or automatically switching to streaming from FM when you go “up” past the last channel but going to another source when you go “down” (if I’m on FM I want to stay on FM!). Or having to press the defroster button twice for hot air (how in the world would anyone know this?). There are a bunch of little things like this that I can’t imagine would be difficult to improve upon. It looks like it’s just not a priority for Tesla, which is unfortunate. I understand they have a limited set of resources and I agree they should be focusing on Autopilot. However, it would be nice if they could spare a little more effort.
Far as I know, the defroster behavior has always been like that since the S, X and now 3. I guess sometimes it pays to read the manual.

Reactions: Big Earl
It's funny, Tesla has the best tech and GUI by a large margin IMO, so they can fairly pat themselves on the back for that. But in reality once you put an HD screen that's 15" to 17" right next to the driver, the measuring stick needs to be how good can it be, not how does it compare to Nissan....
Especially Nissan! What a godawful UX as much as I’m thankful for their efforts in EVs I partly blame them for amplifying the notion of range anxiety in early EV era through bad UI/UX around range and SOC.

Reactions: gregd
Especially Nissan! What a godawful UX as much as I’m thankful for their efforts in EVs I partly blame them for amplifying the notion of range anxiety in early EV era through bad UI/UX around range and SOC.

Very true. On the other hand, the 360-view camera the LEAF has is something Tesla's huge vehicles have desperately needed since 2012...it's the only thing I miss from my old LEAF (and I miss it quite a bit...a huge Model X is quite challenging to park in a tight space, compared to a LEAF, at least).

On one hand I agree, it seems like they're quite slow... After more than 2-3 years in pre-production (and more than a year in feature freeze) you'd think that the Model 3 software would be polished on release.

I highly doubt Tesla has software engineers hiring problems, even if they don't pay well (I don't know what they pay).

But on the other hand I often tell people that writing software is like having a baby and 9 women won't give birth to a baby in a month, so stacking engineers won't necessary speed up development.

On one hand I agree, it seems like they're quite slow... After more than 2-3 years in pre-production (and more than a year in feature freeze) you'd think that the Model 3 software would be polished on release.

I highly doubt Tesla has software engineers hiring problems, even if they don't pay well (I don't know what they pay).

But on the other hand I often tell people that writing software is like having a baby and 9 women won't give birth to a baby in a month, so stacking engineers won't necessary speed up development.

I will say this: the 3 software is far more polished, stable and performant at first release than the S software was.

• Informative
Reactions: insaneoctane
This may not be a popular thread among Tesla fan boys. I am seriously questioning Tesla's GUI / software team size. I am NOT even including AP or FSD in this at all. I'm looking at all the issues that seem to be piling up (for example, side mirror dimming, rear seat heaters, scheduled charging, smartphone unlocking, etc, etc). They just released auto wipers, but that took a long time. Now they have another car model to develop for on another format (single 15" display). I am watching this all unfold and it really seems like Tesla is very behind here. Additionally, there are so many cool things that Tesla could do with suggestions from their ever increasing customer base (for example the approach unlock feature ought to allow you the option to disable if the car sees my home wifi) . But, alas, I don't think that they have the staff to even keep above water.

My guess is there is less than one full time person on the UI. They throw someone at it when the must add something. Otherwise the software update history shows that no one cares. I can see them throwing someone into reskinning it just to make it seem like something has changed.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Yea I also don't think it would be a hiring problem, but I do think that they just don't hire enough in the GUI department. The browser has been a mess since forever, the media player, too. Sure some things like the rain sensing wipers take a lot more engineering work, especially with Tesla's solution, but some of those things are pretty basic.

I just think that the GUI isn't really a focus for Tesla anymore. Back when the S came out everyone marveled about the big screen, but right now other things are more interesting,

Other than that, Tesla knows that the people getting the first 3s were standing in lines, waiting patiently for way over a year to get it. You don't need a lot to satisfy those customers.

I will say this: the 3 software is far more polished, stable and performant at first release than the S software was.
I went straight into 7.0 series on the S so I didn't have those growing pains but let's compare in my 6 days of ownership.

I've had the media player completely lock up on me on more than one occasion where it required a reboot or it would reboot on it's own.
Bluetooth pairing issues on both platforms. Eventually worked out by not choosing to sync contacts and recent calls. Can only use dialer.
WiFi not enabled, rear heated seats not enabled, no shuffle, repeat, or direct advancing a song.
No calendar, browser, energy app.
TeslaFi reports that car has been offline numerous times but never received this message once on S.
Approaching car to unlock is hit or miss. At times I can get it unlock a good 20-25yds and other times I walk up to it and it doesn't unfold my mirrors but eventually will.

I've probably rebooted 8-9x already. 3 or 4 of it was due to Bluetooth. Performance has to deal more with they're using a much more modern processor and GPU to power the screen which leads to the snappy performance. I'd argue stability.

Tesla ought to take some of the UI consolidation to the S/X screen as there is much more space to work with and having an applet other than Navigation take up half a screen is just wasted.

Last car I bought never got any software upgrades ...

We all want more better and faster but Tesla have to balance a ton of priorities whilst effectively financing the entire venture from investment money.

The other aspect is that becasue we know we can get upgrades we get aggrieved at what we see as imperfect functionality.

If we bought any other car our expectations would be what came with the car with no chance of change to just get on with it. OTA updates just set a whole new layer of expectation, and sure also do allow Tesla to release software earlier than fully finalized, in part for timing, but also for user feedback and subsequent refinement.

Sure Tesla do not get everything right but I just love the updates good or bad for the whole new perspective on car ownership enjoyment.

That may be, and it’s nice that you love your car as many do. However, it’s not helpful to compare a suboptimal process to the lowest common denominator.

In the interest of Tesla maintaining its lead overall, it would be helpful to compare and contrast with those competitors who appear to offer more features already or who are likely to soon. Cadillac and Nissan come to mind.

Now, overall, do either Cadillac and Nissan have a compelling product relative to a Tesla? I would say absolutely not. Yet.

And the way to keep “yet” from happening is to illuminate weak processes as the OP has done and to keep illuminating them along with ideas for solutions so that other owners can continue to love their cars no matter what they choose to compare them to.

I went straight into 7.0 series on the S so I didn't have those growing pains but let's compare in my 6 days of ownership.

I've had the media player completely lock up on me on more than one occasion where it required a reboot or it would reboot on it's own.
Bluetooth pairing issues on both platforms. Eventually worked out by not choosing to sync contacts and recent calls. Can only use dialer.
WiFi not enabled, rear heated seats not enabled, no shuffle, repeat, or direct advancing a song.
No calendar, browser, energy app.
TeslaFi reports that car has been offline numerous times but never received this message once on S.
Approaching car to unlock is hit or miss. At times I can get it unlock a good 20-25yds and other times I walk up to it and it doesn't unfold my mirrors but eventually will.

I've probably rebooted 8-9x already. 3 or 4 of it was due to Bluetooth. Performance has to deal more with they're using a much more modern processor and GPU to power the screen which leads to the snappy performance. I'd argue stability.

Tesla ought to take some of the UI consolidation to the S/X screen as there is much more space to work with and having an applet other than Navigation take up half a screen is just wasted.

I’m talking 2012 here. 7.0 comprised years of updates.

They may have more people werking on Easter eggs than UI and feature improvements ;)

In all seriousness I see the onboard software platform and experience getting worse, enabled by the OTA updates. Tesla is already using the mobile app platform for advertising their energy products, how long do you think before that finds its way in the car? It already did with the battery uncorking. How long before they realize they can monetize on the captive eyeballs by "working with partners"? Navigation search results, destination charging and streaming channels are examples where this may already be happening.

And before you say, nonsense, Tesla is about the premium experience, consider whose premium? Consider what other software platforms (such as Apple and Microsoft, thanks Google!) have recently become.

Doom and gloom :(

Just echoing some of my experience managing software teams - It seems to me that the M3 software is a relatively small, highly internally interdependent project, where tiny changes in many places can have all sorts of repercussions all around, surrounded by a large list of quite independent functionality .

By repercussions I mean, for example - if one "fixes" the behavior of lock/unlock in the garage as suggested in other threads, you may unacceptably 'break' it for those that park just outside their house. Changing if/how/when one reacts to wifi/bluetooth events may change car wake-up events, etc. Changing if/when one detects wifi may affect OTA schedules or AP uploads. etc.
Usually these highly cohesive things are best managed by a small dedicated team that has enough leeway to work hard but move slow (from a 'feature delivery perspective) refactoring the code massively as their own understanding of the domains and their interdependencies evolve. This is the team where typically more people won't help. Also where you want a few great engineers, not a bunch of average engineers.

It does seem, however, there are a lot of satisfaction issues and nits with peripheral stuff. (E.g. bluetooth audio resume) which seems highly parallelizable and incrementally solvable. Or side effects/bugs created by past code design that should've been caught in QA eg: (many car management in app -> "active car controller" pattern-> M3 unlock won't work if car isn't selected as the controller reacting to BT events )

So from my observation I would agree, it seems that the team could use a bit more help (not necessarily in quantity of bodies, but maybe some heavier weight software engineers, and not just 'developers' but QA folks doing acceptance and scenario testing too)

• Informative
Just echoing some of my experience managing software teams - It seems to me that the M3 software is a relatively small, highly internally interdependent project, where tiny changes in many places can have all sorts of repercussions all around, surrounded by a large list of quite independent functionality .

By repercussions I mean, for example - if one "fixes" the behavior of lock/unlock in the garage as suggested in other threads, you may unacceptably 'break' it for those that park just outside their house. Changing if/how/when one reacts to wifi/bluetooth events may change car wake-up events, etc. Changing if/when one detects wifi may affect OTA schedules or AP uploads. etc.
Usually these highly cohesive things are best managed by a small dedicated team that has enough leeway to work hard but move slow (from a 'feature delivery perspective) refactoring the code massively as their own understanding of the domains and their interdependencies evolve. This is the team where typically more people won't help. Also where you want a few great engineers, not a bunch of average engineers.

It does seem, however, there are a lot of satisfaction issues and nits with peripheral stuff. (E.g. bluetooth audio resume) which seems highly parallelizable and incrementally solvable. Or side effects/bugs created by past code design that should've been caught in QA eg: (many car management in app -> "active car controller" pattern-> M3 unlock won't work if car isn't selected as the controller reacting to BT events )

So from my observation I would agree, it seems that the team could use a bit more help (not necessarily in quantity of bodies, but maybe some heavier weight software engineers, and not just 'developers' but QA folks doing acceptance and scenario testing too)

Add to that this: behind the scenes I expect there is a massive effort underway to revamp the S/X codebase and consolidate it with the 3's (not the visual aspects, but the model behind the UI). They are probably also moving the S/X MCU module to the Intel based one from the 3 this year. They have a lot on their plate, it's just invisible.

I suspect you are correct about Tesla's internal architecture or lack thereof.

However, anyone building a software system like that in the last 10 or 15 years has been living in a cave (or working for the government). The entire thrust of software engineering for decades has been to modularize software development precisely so there aren't internal dependencies like the ones you describe.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I suspect you are correct about Tesla's internal architecture or lack thereof.

However, anyone building a software system like that in the last 10 or 15 years has been living in a cave (or working for the government). The entire thrust of software engineering for decades has been to modularize software development precisely so there aren't internal dependencies like the ones you describe.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

(sorry, been on too many failed attempts at that very thing over the last 20 years. Shipping always trumps architectural purity, especially when company survival is on the line)

I don't get why Tesla doesn't add Android Auto/Apple Carplay to its cars. It's obviously a feature customers want (just search this forum).

1. Carplay requires running a specific OS (QNX), or at least it did when they started. It's *not* simple to integrate without potentially adding another module.

2. Android Auto requires running Android.

I can think of a couple dozen reasons Tesla doesn't want to do either of those things. Most other companies are happy to cede their infotainment destiny to Apple or Android. Since Tesla wants to own the entire display experience, they will not do that, since they can't just carve out a bit of the software and hand it to Carplay/AA.

• Informative