Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding PGE/SVCE electricity bills/TrueUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may end up being a large over producer. But, I could care less. First goal is to keep the wife happen. For the first time ever, my house is 70 to 72 degrees. Using 40 to 60kwh a day. Summer was nice in the low 70's. So if I only get back .03kw, who cares. Not going to waste time playing with settings.
I'm trying to avoid playing with settings, I'm looking for a set it and forget it. After my last true-up, I've changed my settings to only discharge the Powerwalls between the hours of 4pm-9pm and I've set my reserve at 50%. I'm hoping that gets me to a $0 energy charge and I can leave it there for years.

I'm trying to avoid playing with settings, I'm looking for a set it and forget it. After my last true-up, I've changed my settings to only discharge the Powerwalls between the hours of 4pm-9pm and I've set my reserve at 50%. I'm hoping that gets me to a $0 energy charge and I can leave it there for years.
similar
I've set reserve at 60% and Peak start at 5pm. I think I'm on target for Zero Nem

Reactions: RKCRLR
Question for any of you luck SOB's who get the black and white bill...

For the billing period ending early December... have any of you had any luck reconciling the "Current Month Energy Charge of Credit (-)" amount on the black and white bill?

I'm on a CCA so my black and white bill is only for transmission charges.

I have a Google doc that I've been using on the unbundled rates of kWh transported per this bill. Up until now, I've been able to reconcile to the penny. Or when it didn't reconcile, I found a small discrepancy with how the kWh was metered through the Greenbutton data.

However, for the period ending Dec 9, 2021, I'm off $21.97. My spreadsheet thinks my monthly transmission usage should have been $71.53; but the B&W bill says it's only $49.56. As much as I like errors when they're in my favor; I'd rather like to figure this out now so that when PG&E reverses course and slams me with a fee, I'm not caught off guard.

For some reason the latest Black and White bill is much longer than normal. Now 15 pages instead of last month's 11. I can't figure out what rates changed or if something weird is happening with the unbundled rates.

Edit: I was a net consumer of electricity in both the periods ending Nov 9 and Dec 9. For just the transport portion, I'm calculating about $0.15 per kWh for these transport fees net coming into my house. But the PG&E black and white bill would imply transport was only $0.11 per kWh net for the period ending Dec 9; which seems off.

Last edited:
I don't think it accounts for $21.97 difference, but there was a rate increase on December 1, 2021. The last rate change was August 1st. There were 4 different rates in effect in 2021. 2020 had 6 different rates.

PG&E finally got my blue-header (normal) bill available online. The MCE Generation credit was spot on to my calcs... I really don't understand what PG&E started to do for transmission black and white bill math starting December 1.

Have you received your bills for the periods ending in December yet?

PG&E finally got my blue-header (normal) bill available online. The MCE Generation credit was spot on to my calcs... I really don't understand what PG&E started to do for transmission black and white bill math starting December 1.

No, my closing date has passed but my bills have not posted yet. The last B&W bill I have covers the period through November 16th.

I won't get a B&W bill for any December days until 1/5-1/8.

Yes, here is the calculation I did to validate what they billed me. I am off by a penny. Of course, PG&E rounded up that penny. I used the full tariff rate less the PG&E Generation Rate, plus PCIA, plus FFS. The first page of the B&W bill says they added $190.63 to my true-up balance. SVCE also billed me $57.24 for their Green Prime generation on the blue bill.

PG&E B&W Bill Calc 12-2021.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes, here is the calculation I did to validate what they billed me. I am off by a penny. Of course, PG&E rounded up that penny. I used the full tariff rate less the PG&E Generation Rate, plus PCIA, plus FFS. The first page of the B&W bill says they added $190.63 to my true-up balance. SVCE also billed me $57.24 for their Green Prime generation on the blue bill.

Just trying to reconcile, how'd your SVCE Generation bill come out to $57.24 for net consumption of 1014 kwh ($0.056/kwh average), with lowest SVCE off-peak generation being $0.08777 or so? Did you have banked credits carried over from earlier in the fall? (I no longer net generate any month of the year, so don't keep track of whether SVCE trues up credits monthly or not.)

Just trying to reconcile, how'd your SVCE Generation bill come out to $57.24 for net consumption of 1014 kwh ($0.056/kwh average), with lowest SVCE off-peak generation being $0.08777 or so? Did you have banked credits carried over from earlier in the fall? (I no longer net generate any month of the year, so don't keep track of whether SVCE trues up credits monthly or not.)
SVCE Off-Peak is below 4c/kWh. You have to pay anything due each month. Credits roll forward until true-up. True-up credits over $200 are automatically paid out by check. Smaller than that rolls into the next year unless you specifically request it be paid out (I think).

SVCE Charges 12-2021.jpg

This is the full SVCE Tariff:

You might notice that their Generation rates haven't changed since March 2021. However, PG&E has been raising the non-generation portion of their tariff like clockwork...

• Helpful
SVCE Off-Peak is below 4c/kWh. You have to pay anything due each month. Credits roll forward until true-up. True-up credits over $200 are automatically paid out by check. Smaller than that rolls into the next year unless you specifically request it be paid out (I think).

View attachment 751898

This is the full SVCE Tariff:

You might notice that their Generation rates haven't changed since March 2021. However, PG&E has been raising the non-generation portion of their tariff like clockwork...
Ah, right, it's the PCIA that brings it up to an effective $0.087 rate, but the PCIA is charged/recovered by PG&E. Hence you accounted for it in that part of the bill, as you mentioned upthread. Got it, thanks!

Ah, right, it's the PCIA that brings it up to an effective $0.087 rate, but the PCIA is charged/recovered by PG&E. Hence you accounted for it in that part of the bill, as you mentioned upthread. Got it, thanks!
This is why I think PCIA is so criminal. My bill could be $48 lower because SVCE can clearly provide the energy for only $57. The CPUC needs to make a path to PCIA going to zero. My load departed PG&E's generation responsibility in 2017. When will it end?

After reading this thread diligently as it emerged, I was preparing myself for a challenge when the first B&W bill arrived.

OMG! You folks aren't kidding.

You need a double Ph.D. in nuclear string theory and economics to get through it. Is there a hidden acronym table somewhere to translate the "VCP*VCP*T*T" entries?

All the best,

BG

• Funny
After reading this thread diligently as it emerged, I was preparing myself for a challenge when the first B&W bill arrived.

OMG! You folks aren't kidding.

You need a double Ph.D. in nuclear string theory and economics to get through it. Is there a hidden acronym table somewhere to translate the "VCP*VCP*T*T" entries?

All the best,

BG
Pacific Graft and Extortion does not want to understand, it is unnecessarily complicated.