Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding PGE/SVCE electricity bills/TrueUP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good... doesn't the PG&E E-6 rate plan start to phase out and transition to a TOU 4-9 pm plan on 7-1-22?
I think you are right - I was thinking it was at the end of 2022 - but looking at PG&E it seems like I should now be at the 4-9pm peak time slot.

That makes me think I might be better switching to EV-2A (edit: or even the E-TOU-D since it has a shorter peak time duration of only 3 hrs that I think my single powerwall can handle better...)

Last edited:
I think you are right - I was thinking it was at the end of 2022 - but looking at PG&E it seems like I should now be at the 4-9pm peak time slot.

That makes me think I might be better switching to EV-2A (edit: or even the E-TOU-D since it has a shorter peak time duration of only 3 hrs that I think my single powerwall can handle better...)
E-TOU-D has short peak periods and only during the weekdays, but the price for both Peak and Off-Peak are higher than for E-TOU-C. If you are a net consumer then your are likely better off on E-TOU-C than E-TOU-D.

E-TOU-D has short peak periods and only during the weekdays, but the price for both Peak and Off-Peak are higher than for E-TOU-C. If you are a net consumer then your are likely better off on E-TOU-C than E-TOU-D.
Thanks for the response Redhill...

My CCA has the same rates for E-TOU-C and E-TOU-D - peak and off peak are the same on each plan.

I do see that the peak period is shorter on E-TOU-D - which, IF I can produce some extra solar and export with the PowerWall for the rest of the peak time, then the longer peak might gain me more in payback.

Thanks for the response Redhill...

My CCA has the same rates for E-TOU-C and E-TOU-D - peak and off peak are the same on each plan.

I do see that the peak period is shorter on E-TOU-D - which, IF I can produce some extra solar and export with the PowerWall for the rest of the peak time, then the longer peak might gain me more in payback.
While your the generation rates from your CCA might be the same the PG&E trans+distribution rates are not and the E-TOU-C gives you a credit when you use less than the baseline which should always be the case with solar.

Reactions: evtifosi
Lol someone on Reddit r/solar was complaining this PG&E solar bill is too confusing. Imagine if he got batteries on NEM2-PS.

1656912008238.png

While your the generation rates from your CCA might be the same the PG&E trans+distribution rates are not and the E-TOU-C gives you a credit when you use less than the baseline which should always be the case with solar.

E-TOU-C it is then (and the Baseline part wasn't too clear to me, nothing on my CCA website talks about the Baseline part of the rates and if they matched PG&E).

Thanks for the help!

Lol someone on Reddit r/solar was complaining this PG&E solar bill is too confusing. Imagine if he got batteries on NEM2-PS.

View attachment 824594
This is someone that is on E-TOU-C and with a CCA which is why the generation portion is being backed out. At least PG&E is now calling it a "baseline credit" instead of "conservation incentive" on the bill now.

E-TOU-C it is then (and the Baseline part wasn't too clear to me, nothing on my CCA website talks about the Baseline part of the rates and if they matched PG&E).

Thanks for the help!
The baseline credit/charge is applied to the PG&E transmission and distribution credits/charges which is why CCAs ignore this in the rate plans. The joint comparison docs that I have seen from CCAs have all been with monthly kWh below the baseline. This is going to be confusing, but the baseline credit works both ways which means that as you export it reduces your credits just as when you import it reduces the charges. It confused me at first, but it makes sense.

Here are the tables for two tariffs with PG&E generation numbers (without PCIA or FFS, but those are fixed for all plans and all periods). The last four rows are what matter and there is a significant difference in the winter.

ComponentE-TOU-CE-TOU-D
Summer Gen Peak
0.17582​
0.20525​
Summer Gen Off-Peak
0.12238​
0.10029​
Winter Gen Peak
0.12705​
0.16483​
Winter Gen Off-Peak
0.11203​
0.12930​
Summer Dist Peak
0.14863​
0.16687​
Summer Dist Off-Peak
0.13863​
0.13687​
Winter Dist Peak
0.10030​
0.11813​
Winter Dist Off-Peak
0.09800​
0.11460​
Transmission
0.07643​
0.07643​
Baseline Credit
-0.02812​
Summer Total Peak
0.37276​
0.44855​
Summer Total Off-Peak
0.30932​
0.31359​
Winter Total Peak
0.27566​
0.35939​
Winter Total Off-Peak
0.25834​
0.32033​

Note: If you go over the baseline the credit turns into a charge of $0.06242 which is a $0.09054 swing that flips the win to E-TOU-D, but with solar that shouldn't happen unless you have a really undersized array.

Edit: I just realized that the baseline credit/charge is only applied to the difference from the baseline, so if you hit the baseline exactly on target (e.g. 10.5 kWh/day * 30 days = 315 kWh) then there isn't a credit or charge. If you only used 250 kWh then you would get a credit of (315-250)*0.02812 or $1.82 and if you went over by using 450 kWh then it is a charge of (450-315)*0.06242 or $8.42. This doesn't change my conclusion that E-TOU-C is better than E-TOU-D for solar customers.

Last edited:
I'll be getting a 12kW system with 2 Powerwalls. I am currently on PG&E's EV2-A plan and I believe they'll shift me to a TOU plan correct?

My question hopefully is simple

If I put 5kWh back to the grid on non-peak hours and consume 5kWh from the grid during peak hours, do I still need to pay something for this? In summary, to ensure I don't have to pay anything extra, do I do the comparison by kWh net regardless of peak/non-peak or do I actually need to do calculations from a $ perspective depending upon how much non-peak/peak is put back to grid vs consumed

I'll be getting a 12kW system with 2 Powerwalls. I am currently on PG&E's EV2-A plan and I believe they'll shift me to a TOU plan correct?

If I put 5kWh back to the grid on non-peak hours and consume 5kWh from the grid during peak hours, do I still need to pay something for this? In summary, to ensure I don't have to pay anything extra, do I do the comparison by kWh net regardless of peak/non-peak or do I actually need to do calculations from a $ perspective depending upon how much non-peak/peak is put back to grid vs consumed
EV2-A is a time of use plan that is acceptable to PG&E.

The accounting on charges is complex as this thread discusses above. My two cents would be to re-read it, but the TL;DR For every import, you will incur a Non-Bypassable Charge, aka NBC, how much you pay for your 5kWh in, 5kWh out depends on your usage, and for sufficiently large exports, your end of year balance may cancel out your NBC, and MDC charges. Operative phrase being sufficiently large... Hence the advice to you from users here to get a larger system. The end of year true-up is complicated and when you exported and imported can affect how much you owe. With Powerwalls, you should be able to avoid peak rate power grid usage, which helps your accounting.

All the best,

BG

"If I put 5kWh back to the grid on non-peak hours and consume 5kWh from the grid during peak hours, do I still need to pay something for this?"

yes. Net NEM Export/import charges are based on cost not kWh. You want to export as much as possible during Peak. On an annual basis, I'm a net consumer of electricity, but my NEM charges are zero

Reactions: Ampster
EV2-A is a time of use plan that is acceptable to PG&E.

The accounting on charges is complex as this thread discusses above. My two cents would be to re-read it, but the TL;DR For every import, you will incur a Non-Bypassable Charge, aka NBC, how much you pay for your 5kWh in, 5kWh out depends on your usage, and for sufficiently large exports, your end of year balance may cancel out your NBC, and MDC charges. Operative phrase being sufficiently large... Hence the advice to you from users here to get a larger system. The end of year true-up is complicated and when you exported and imported can affect how much you owe. With Powerwalls, you should be able to avoid peak rate power grid usage, which helps your accounting.

All the best,

BG
In order for your exports to cancel out your NBCs, you would have to have significant Net Surplus exports. On the other hand, if you are a significant net consumer with Cumulative Energy Charges greater than the NBCs, then you don't pay the NBCs at all. There is a large "no-mans-land" in the middle where you have small or no net surplus kWh where you do pay NBCs even when you have negative Cumulative Energy Charges at True-up

In order for your exports to cancel out your NBCs, you would have to have significant Net Surplus exports. On the other hand, if you are a significant net consumer with Cumulative Energy Charges greater than the NBCs, then you don't pay the NBCs at all. There is a large "no-mans-land" in the middle where you have small or no net surplus kWh where you do pay NBCs even when you have negative Cumulative Energy Charges at True-up
That isn't the way that the accounting works and you can never avoid paying for the NBCs on the kWh that you import. As we (private discussion between myself, @miimura and @aesculus ) just figured out today the Cumulative NBCs are also included in the Cumulative Energy Charges/Credits, so at your annual True-Up you pay the higher of the two minus the Cumulative MDCs that you paid throughout the year.

They only way to "avoid" paying NBCs is to have the amount owed (the higher of CECC and CNBC) to be less than or equal to the Cumulative MDCs that were paid monthly. Look for a more comprehensive explainer on this with pictures :) soon.

That isn't the way that the accounting works and you can never avoid paying for the NBCs on the kWh that you import. As we (private discussion between myself, @miimura and @aesculus ) just figured out today the Cumulative NBCs are also included in the Cumulative Energy Charges/Credits, so at your annual True-Up you pay the higher of the two minus the Cumulative MDCs that you paid throughout the year.

They only way to "avoid" paying NBCs is to have the amount owed (the higher of CECC and CNBC) to be less than or equal to the Cumulative MDCs that were paid monthly. Look for a more comprehensive explainer on this with pictures :) soon.
Ok, you're right, that's not actually how the accounting works. However, if the CECs are higher than the NBCs, then technically you are still paying the NBCs in the Energy Charges, but almost everything else is offset with your TOU credits except the NBCs. To the casual observer, it looks like they're just paying the Energy Charges and the NBCs don't count. To me it's like Alternative Minimum Tax. It's there in the background for a lot of people, but you don't care until it sticks its head up higher than its surroundings. ;)

Here is the detailed writeup that @Redhill_qik alluded too.

We are fairly new to our solar/PWs--PTO with PG&E as of end of October 2020. We've been on an EVA2 rate plan due to charging our Teslas at home (Non-peak midnight - 3pm) Our city for some time now has been opted in to electrical generation service through Silicon Valley Clean Energy (SVCE) like many residents in the SF Bay Peninsula and South County area. We had received our "final" electrical bill from PG&E covering the period up to PTO last month; and just the other day received 1) our PG&E "blue bill" for electrical usage under our NEM2 solar/storage device billing, as well as 2) a black and white multi-page monthly statement showing PG&E distribution along with SVCE generation charges.

Being new to all this we called PG&E and SVCE to better understand how billing would be done from now on. We were told we will be getting our Monthly "blue bill" from PG&E which we should pay from. We will also be receiving from PG&E a monthly statement (with calculations) reflecting our usage and charges or credits from SVCE's generation (not a bill just a statement).

Our PG&E TrueUp is November of each year; and SVCE does a TrueUp in April of each year at which time a check for any credit overage will be sent according to limits etc of their plan. PG&E will allow you a one-time change to your TrueUp if requested (we'll likely wait a whole year to see how things go. Since we don't get our generation from PG&E, not sure TrueUp time really matters that much).

Our PG&E blue bill for electricity is minimal, basically fees and distribution charge. Our B&W statement reflected our current credits since no electricity was needed from the grid (8.16kW system, gas furnace). SVCE, unlike PG&E, calculates credits at the same rate as they would charge for usage (per Peak, Partial Peak, Non-Peak hours).

Curious how those with both PG&E and SVCE combined service have faired and whether there is anything else we should understand about the new billing. Thanks.
The Electricity companies that most of us are saddled with make it as difficult as possible to understand with the hope they will wear us down and just give up and pay without questions. Here in San Diego we are saddled with San Diego Gas & Electric that has a full time staff spending their time jacking up our rates via the PUC and confusing the hell out of the consumers with home solar panels. During the summer we try and charge during the daylight hours vs. nighttime rates. So far so good.

In my 2nd true-up bill, the new column appeared and my bill is $1,100 higher. No new EVs or changes in household. If anything it should be lower in this true-up as I travelled a lot during summer.

THe major cost is coming from this new column E147 SMP Cost. That explains the $1,108 very well.

Does anyone know what it is ?

THanks in advance,

Tim.

In my 2nd true-up bill, the new column appeared and my bill is $1,100 higher. No new EVs or changes in household. If anything it should be lower in this true-up as I travelled a lot during summer.

THe major cost is coming from this new column E147 SMP Cost. That explains the $1,108 very well.

Does anyone know what it is ?

THanks in advance,

Tim.
There was another mention of SMP earlier in this thread posts 121-140, but no conclusion. Can you post the whole table with this column? If you search the bill PDF, can you find another occurrence of the same $1,108 amount?

There was another mention of SMP earlier in this thread posts 121-140, but no conclusion. Can you post the whole table with this column? If you search the bill PDF, can you find another occurrence of the same $1,108 amount?
Here's the bill I got:
E147 example.jpg

and then it stops billing me from Mar onwards. The Billed Usage (aka Net Usage) was even lower than the previous 12 months, but it's crazy I'm paying $1108 more.

Appreciate anyone who's gone thru and fight to get back their money back.