Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2024 MYLR. It came with software v 14.100.1. On teslafi I see that there are 3 newer versions out there:
While I totally understand that they don’t roll out all updates to everyone at once like Apple does, why wouldn’t I have an update available when there’s 3 newer ones out there? The way my simple mind works I would think they come out with a new software update and over the course of the next few days or weeks people would be updating to that and after doing so there may be a new one that become available. How am I 3 behind without one available to me?!

New cars often take several weeks before they receive their first update.

Also since it’s a new car you might have an FSD trial if you didn’t purchase FSD. Cars with active FSD cars are mostly staying on 2024.14.x right now and not getting 2024.20.x in anticipation for FSD 12.4 release which has been rumored to be on 2024.15.x.

But in general, there really is no explanation as to why one identical car would get an update sooner than another one. Not every car gets every release version either. There’s no way to get it any sooner than whenever Tesla decides your car should get it. There’s no point in wasting energy obsessing about updated because there is literally nothing you can do about it at all. The only answer is to just keep waiting and you’ll get it eventually and think of it as a nice surprise.

I'm a new owner as well.
AFAIK, these updates are determined based off region. Meaning one area can get the update faster than the other.
It could also be the fact that our cars are so new. I didn't get the 2024.20.1 update until recently - versus my peers (with MYs reaching 1-2 years of ownership) getting them before me.

If you run a search on 2024.20.3, it shows some European results. This makes sense as some regions of the world get things earlier than the US.
I think 2024.20.1 is the latest update in the US... but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Also since it’s a new car you might have an FSD trial if you didn’t purchase FSD. Cars with active FSD cars are mostly staying on 2024.14.x right now and not getting 2024.20.x in anticipation for FSD 12.4 release which has been rumored to be on 2024.15.x.

But in general, there really is no explanation as to why one identical car would get an update sooner than another one. Not every car gets every release version either. There’s no way to get it any sooner than whenever Tesla decides your car should get it. There’s no point in wasting energy obsessing about updated because there is literally nothing you can do about it at all. The only answer is to just keep waiting and you’ll get it eventually and think of it as a nice surprise.
Thanks for the explanation this makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I’m gonna have to learn to be more patient.

I am in my 30 day free trial of FSD. After 12 years of making cars and mapping roads I’m surprised how often speed limits are wrong in the navigation. I’m rural and speed limits are wrong more often than they’re right. Is there a place to provide feedback where it gets heard? Or is this another area where I need patients and stuff will be wrong for potentially another 12 years

I'm a new owner as well.
AFAIK, these updates are determined based off region. Meaning one area can get the update faster than the other.
It could also be the fact that our cars are so new. I didn't get the 2024.20.1 update until recently - versus my peers (with MYs reaching 1-2 years of ownership) getting them before me.

If you run a search on 2024.20.3, it shows some European results. This makes sense as some regions of the world get things earlier than the US.
I think 2024.20.1 is the latest update in the US... but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Tesla really does whatever, whenever.

I was also under the impression that having FSD, or at least the trial, would likely delay one from getting an update. Similarly, for those having just bought a car. But my brother-in-law proved otherwise. He made use of the 1% financing to trade in his BMW X3 to get a second MYLR. And in about two weeks, maybe three, his car did get updated despite being new and having FSD trial.

As for region, I think it's true to some extent. But his first MYLR has already moved onto 20.1 a week before the new one moved to 14.9. My MYP also moved to 20.1 around the same time as the first MYLR, but that was the first time in a while where we're on the same branch. Theirs was on 2.x and 3.x branch for a while before jumping to 20.1, whereas I was on the 8.x branch. And even before that, we were leapfrogging each other on minor versions. And we are in the same region, live a few miles apart and work at the same place.

I think the leapfrogging is related to the "Standard" v "Advanced" setting. I've already stated my thoughts on it twice and while I can't prove it, some folks have argued against me, despite being unable to disprove me either. So yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Any regional differences are probably more due to FSD v12 being deployed in some countries and not others.

There is one trick that will force your car to check for an update sooner than it might otherwise, but it still won’t make an update available before Tesla decides it’s your time:
  1. Go to Controls > Software, which might force the car to check for updates.
  2. If the car doesn’t check for an update, and the message that says “your car’s software is up to date as of <date>” shows a date more than 24 hours ago, reboot the car and go back to Controls > Software.