Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding the different performance options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a few used 2020 models with less than 8k miles and I wanted to know what differences there are as I plan to track the car and I read something like
Track package
Track mode
Some have bremo brakes or all??

I figured guys that track there’s would know these questions. thanks all

There's only really two options - Performance WITH Performance Upgrade Package, and Performance WITHOUT PUP.

It's very easy to tell the difference, Performance WITH PUP has the 20" Wheels, Red Brake Calipers, and rear Carbon Spoiler (plus some more, but that's the easy to spot cosmetics).

Both come with Track Mode.

The Track Package, which is a post-sale add-on, and I doubt very many people have purchased, can only be installed on cars WITH PUP and includes new wheels/tires, and more aggressive brake pad compounds.

So if a car has 20” wheels and you see the red calipers but no carbon rear spoiler?

2018's were hit and miss on the spoiler coming with the car. The owner did have the option to have it installed by a Service Center for free - possible they never cared to have it done. If it has 20" Wheels and Red Calipers probably a Performance with PUP. The caliper design is very different in the rear, too, so that's a give-away.

So if a car has 20” wheels and you see the red calipers but no carbon rear spoiler?

regarding spoiler what @MasterC17 said. My model 3 is a 2018 performance model, the performance upgrade package. The spoiler (and the dual motor badge with the red underline were not even available until mid 2019. I picked up the badge but never had it put on the car.

As for the spoiler, that was not even available till sometime in 2019. For me personally (and others I read about on here) I had to take my car to the service center 4 separate times, going through 4 separate spoilers, because they never fit properly (pulling up on the right side, pretty much all of them).

I finally got one thats "ok" but not great, and certainly doesnt look like a factory option (lol). In any case, its likely some owners didnt go through the effort to take the car back to the SC to get it installed, so not seeing a spoiler (or a badge) doesnt mean anything at all on a Model 3P.

Especially since you want to track the car, what you are looking for is track mode, which should be available on every model 3P but isnt available on any other model 3. Look for track mode on any used model 3P you are considering buying. If it has it track mode, its a model 3 performance, regardless of whether you see a spoiler, badge, or even the larger red calipered brakes.

they may have also replaced the spoiler with a color matched with their car which makes it almost impossible to see more than a few feet away. I added a white oem spoiler myself, think it looks better.

I dont think there is such a thing as a "white OEM spoiler", as "OEM usually means "original equipment manufacturer" and I dont believe tesla offers any body colored spoilers for model 3. I suspect you ment "white aftermarket spoiler" though, as I am virtually certain you know the above.

• Funny
Reactions: holmgang and Sam1
I dont think there is such a thing as a "white OEM spoiler", as "OEM usually means "original equipment manufacturer" and I dont believe tesla offers any body colored spoilers for model 3. I suspect you ment "white aftermarket spoiler" though, as I am virtually certain you know the above.

yeah, but I’m certain you have also heard of a thing called “paint” or even a “wrap” for those who don’t want a permanent change.

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt and lUtriaNt
yeah, but I’m certain you have also heard of a thing called “paint” or even a “wrap” for those who don’t want a permanent change.

Sure, but neither of those is "OEM", so not sure what the relevance is to calling something an OEM spoiler that isnt from tesla? My only point was, your white spoiler isnt oem because tesla doesnt offer it, so it cant be original equipment manufacturer.

Reactions: holmgang
Sure, but neither of those is "OEM", so not sure what the relevance is to calling something an OEM spoiler that isnt from tesla? My only point was, your white spoiler isnt oem because tesla doesnt offer it, so it cant be original equipment manufacturer.

guess that means if people wrap their cars, it voids the drivetrain warranty since the car is no longer oem lol.

guess that means if people wrap their cars, it voids the drivetrain warranty since the car is no longer oem lol.

I am not sure where you are getting this stuff. No where did I say anything about warranties, or anything else. I said the spoiler isnt "OEM" meaning its aftermarket. no where did I say a single thing about warranties, or that people should not do it, or that there was anything at all wrong with a part thats not OEM.

It just means you cant buy it from tesla, and it didnt come from tesla, so it is not original equipment manufacturer. Not sure at all where you are getting this warranty stuff from. Maybe its from some other discussion you are having somewhere.

I appreciate all the help. Now the 2021 has me intrigued for the dual pane windows. I wonder if they are using the same window motor as before as often times a different motor is needed to roll up the heavier window

I am not sure where you are getting this stuff. No where did I say anything about warranties, or anything else. I said the spoiler isnt "OEM" meaning its aftermarket. no where did I say a single thing about warranties, or that people should not do it, or that there was anything at all wrong with a part thats not OEM.

It just means you cant buy it from tesla, and it didnt come from tesla, so it is not original equipment manufacturer. Not sure at all where you are getting this warranty stuff from. Maybe its from some other discussion you are having somewhere.

I’m getting it from you saying my painted oem spoiler is not oem because it’s a different color. Which means by your assertion that if you change the color of an oem product, it’s no longer an oem product. Conflating that with the obvious inaccuracies that just because you change the color of something, does not change the status of a core part still being oem or not.

I’m getting it from you saying my painted oem spoiler is not oem because it’s a different color. Which means by your assertion that if you change the color of an oem product, it’s no longer an oem product. Conflating that with the obvious inaccuracies that just because you change the color of something, does not change the status of a core part still being oem or not.

This conversation is now off topic for OP, but it appears I have misunderstood what you were saying. If you took the OEM carbon fiber spoiler and painted it white, it is in fact an OEM spoiler. Your original post on this topic said "replaced the OEM spoiler with a body colored one" which did not sound like you took the OEM one and painted it.

if you did in fact take the OEM spoiler and paint it, its obviously still an OEM part, and I misunderstood. If thats the case, then I just misunderstood "replaced spoiler with a white one", and everything you are saying makes sense. If thats NOT what you did (buy or get the OEM tesla part, then paint it) then I simply dont understand what we are talking about with the part being OEM, but it certainly doesnt matter enough to keep going in this OPs thread.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Sam1
This conversation is now off topic for OP, but it appears I have misunderstood what you were saying. If you took the OEM carbon fiber spoiler and painted it white, it is in fact an OEM spoiler. Your original post on this topic said "replaced the OEM spoiler with a body colored one" which did not sound like you took the OEM one and painted it.

if you did in fact take the OEM spoiler and paint it, its obviously still an OEM part, and I misunderstood. If thats the case, then I just misunderstood "replaced spoiler with a white one", and everything you are saying makes sense. If thats NOT what you did (buy or get the OEM tesla part, then paint it) then I simply dont understand what we are talking about with the part being OEM, but it certainly doesnt matter enough to keep going in this OPs thread.

Selectively quoting partial statements, intentionally ignoring the context as a whole, does not win the silly debate for you.

Selectively quoting partial statements, intentionally ignoring the context as a whole, does not win the silly debate for you.

While you are technically correct, I see the other the other poster's point Calling it a "white OEM", even if it is an OEM spoiler wrapped or painted white, implies that there was a white spoiler option available or it came standard with white cars. It's not to imply that your OEM spoiler, painted by you, is no longer OEM.

So just a technical nitpick, but in the way people commonly refer to it, it is slightly misleading.

While you are technically correct, I see the other the other poster's point Calling it a "white OEM", even if it is an OEM spoiler wrapped or painted white, implies that there was a white spoiler option available or it came standard with white cars. It's not to imply that your OEM spoiler, painted by you, is no longer OEM.

So just a technical nitpick, but in the way people commonly refer to it, it is slightly misleading.

Just for clarity, as I mentioned in one of the later posts, I did not realize that he was talking about an OEM carbon fiber spoiler that was then painted white. Since I got accused of "picking and choosing" the quote, here it is in its entirety:

they may have also replaced the spoiler with a color matched with their car which makes it almost impossible to see more than a few feet away. I added a white oem spoiler myself, think it looks better.

I didnt read this as "I painted the OEM spoiler white, think it looks better", which is apparently what was ment. As I said, an OEM spoiler then painted white is still (obviously) an OEM part, so if that what the above quote means, then I understand the subsequent posts.