Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Underwhelmed by the technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am fully aware that the Model S is far ahead of its competitors in advanced technology and innovation.

HOWEVER,

When I got my car, I was shocked at how little the touchscreen could do.

For instance, the Energy tab. It's just a rather static and elementary app. 5, 15, 30 mile intervals with Instant or Average. Really? That's it? Why isn't there full-motion video graphics? Why isn't there an animated graphical depiction of what's going on with the car?

I hate to say it, but my Prius provides more information about what's going on with its energy systems than the Tesla does....

toyota-prius-energy-monitor.jpg

Another example... Media & Audio - why isn't there an animated, real-time equalizer? that would be cool to see. something like this:

equalizer.gif

Does anyone agree? Seems that there's a powerful computer on board with a very capable screen and graphics processor, and it's running the equivalent of "Pong". Did they purposely make it very basic and simple so that future software updates will blow our minds?

I hate to say it, but my Prius provides more information about what's going on with its energy systems than the Tesla does....

Well the Tesla sort of has that on the dash. The orange/green energy consumption/regeneration bar provides all the information that the Prius does. Except that the Tesla is way simpler.

I do agree that the 'Energy' screen is quite simple, and as an Engineer I want ALL the data. But honestly I never look at the energy graph anyway.

Is more eye candy a good thing to have when you are driving? The basics at a glance are probably the safest way to go.

Police cruiser units usually have large tablet screens in them. Are they distracting to officers when they drive? Do they a lot of information or just the basics?

The Model S has a display that tells the same info as the prius.

With the prius, when you step on the gas, you see an arrow from the engine to the battery and wheels. When you slow down, you see an arrow go from the wheels to the battery.

On the Model S when you step on the Go pedal, the indicator to the right of the speedometer goes up and turns orange, when you slow down, the indicator goes down and turns green. All done in real time, just like the prius.

Is more eye candy a good thing to have when you are driving? The basics at a glance are probably the safest way to go.

Police cruiser units usually have large tablet screens in them. Are they distracting to officers when they drive? Do they a lot of information or just the basics?

This is what I was thinking. Why do I need an equalizer on my 17" touchscreen while driving? Why do I need any animations distracting me? I need glance-and-go information. I feel like I get just about all the info I need from my S, but I will agree that I wish the energy app showed more (perhaps like the original prototype), but give me easy-to-read info, not pointless eye-candy.

+1 on not wanting big distracting graphics. Prius graphics are total overkill.

My first reaction on driving a Prius: "This is a car, not the Starship Enterprise."

HVAC, defrost, etc. power consumption could be a nice thing to see but I only need to see if it I'm right on the edge wrt range.

Tesla got it right. What the Prius is lacking is history. If you are trying to determine your rate of usage after having driven 30 minutes on the highway in the rain, what rate of usage are you likely to experience for the next 2 hours? The Prius screen can only show you what is happening in this instant. Not very useful information. I like the less distracting Tesla interface. This is just one of many screens that are easy to navigate, yet, full of information.

@kinddog, this one was in the Betas before and is surely coming in a future update:

View attachment 19989

The Chevy Volt has those kind of graphics -- they show when the battery is being charged or discharged and the wheels turn when the car is moving. These are nice graphic gimmicks but frankly I find them totally useless. They get to be a colossal bore after a while.