Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uneven tyre wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my M3LR in for some repairs today and the service centre picked up uneven tyre wear on the inside on all four wheels. The car has just done over 20,000KM and I will need to get all four tyres replaced. Hopefully this does not become a regular issue.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Also, any tyre recommendations?

I had this on my M3P and did not address it quickly enough so probably knocked many thousands of kms off the life of my tyres. They still lasted almost 50000km but I had kevlar and steel sticking out the inside edge of all four tyres.

It seems that Teslas can end up with significant significant negative camber which leads to this uneven wear patterns. While regular wheel alignments are critical to tyre life and energy efficiency for any vehicle, perhaps this is more critical for Teslas. So, even though they are more expensive than alignments on ICE vehicles because of all the covers that have to be removed and replaced, it is worth doing it every 10000km or so, with rotations every 5000km or so (which can easily be done at home) making sure to keep a close eye on the tread and jumping on any sign of uneven wear.

As to replacing your tyres, it looks like the Michelin e-Primacy is probably the best option out there. Low resistance, quiet, decent life, good handling. Not cheap though.

Same problem with each of the 4 tesla I have owned. Tesla cannot align properly. After the first car quickly destroyed a set of tyres I always took the new car in for alignment. Tesla factory are significanly out. I also modulate the centre or both edges wear with tyre pressure changes.

Reactions: 1001
Paulp, what do you mean by modulate the centre?

Also, anyone had any experience running Continental ContiSport?

Tyre shops seem to be reporting the Michelin e-Primacy's are currently out of stock - at least down this way.

Paulp, what do you mean by modulate the centre?

Also, anyone had any experience running Continental ContiSport?

Tyre shops seem to be reporting the Michelin e-Primacy's are currently out of stock - at least down this way.
If the middle part of the tread is looking more worn I deflate slightly to take load off the middle. If the two edges are looking more worn I inflate slightly to take load off the edges, and if one edge is looking warn I get an alignment.
At the moment my edges are quite black so wearing more than the centre, so tomorrow I will be adding 2psi.
I run 21” conti sports, still factory fitted. Model S.

Reactions: 1001
I'm at nearly 65k and on my second set of tyres. My front tyres always wear very evenly. No problems there at all, but the rear tyres are tricky. The factory alignment specs call for too much toe in on the rear, which causes the very inside edge to scrub badly. I've almost completely solved this by setting the toe to zero. This was on the recommendation from a few people in another thread on this site.

I've also resigned to doing the wheel alignment myself. Tesla charge too much and do it to a spec that shreds tyres. They also weren't doing the front camber. Other mechanics I've tried either panic when you say "tesla" or do a rough half job. Now that I've got my process dialed, it's actually less hassle and better than having someone else do it.

Reactions: Quamera and 1001