Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unexpected deceleration in autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

has anyone else experienced unexpected deceleration in autopilot?

I have certain places on my daily commute where this happens. I set my autopilot to 80mph in a 65mph zone. The entire route is a 65mph zone. At three different points, the car decelerates. These points are the same place each time.

I go from 80 to 75 in two places. And 80 to 65 in one place.

min each case the max mph on the screen changes from 80 to 75. Or 80 to 65. This can be very annoying and unsafe.

many one have this issue???

I do in one section where it goes from 75 to 35 due to construction on an interstate. Very weird but I look up and see the speed limit has changed to 35 so at least I know why...incorrect mapping! Doesn’t bother me too much, I just roll with it.

...many one have this issue???

I experience unwanted Speed Limit Reduction on some stretches of Los Angeles I-5 that automatically dials down the speed limit from 65 MPH to 45 MPH. I assume because of the road construction in those stretches.

Automatic Speed Limit Reduction can also happen for curves.

Otherwise, it's a beta product so I just have to work with what I have.

Hello

has anyone else experienced unexpected deceleration in autopilot?

I have certain places on my daily commute where this happens. I set my autopilot to 80mph in a 65mph zone. The entire route is a 65mph zone. At three different points, the car decelerates. These points are the same place each time.

I go from 80 to 75 in two places. And 80 to 65 in one place.

min each case the max mph on the screen changes from 80 to 75. Or 80 to 65. This can be very annoying and unsafe.

many one have this issue???

I have seen in one of my areas where the car drops from 45 mph to 30 mph when the whole zone is 45 and not in any kind of construction, and no other reasons to slow down. But just as a side note to your "very annoying and unsafe", I'd say it is more annoying and unsafe to me if folks around me are going 80 mph ;)

So this is a thing....
Just completed a 4 day, 2822 mile sprint in M3 (also own a S85D in the avatar pic) from CA to NY. In general, the AP and NoAP was fantastic. 8 hrs driving and really no fatigue.
However, 3 or 4 times on highway there was sudden deceleration for no reason; I think, but can't confirm, that this was often on two lane highways, speed limits up to 65, I usually go +9 above the limit, with perhaps other cars nearby. Alarming for sure, but overridden easily with the foot.
Also, while on NoAP, sometimes the car would want to change from right to left lane for no apparent reason; no route change upcoming, no other traffic, etc. I let it do its thing, why argue?
Otherwise, the M3 was flawless.
As CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, MO, IN, WV, PA and NY all had some degree of lockdown, there wasnt much car traffic (LOTS of trucks) and barely anyone else at the SCs.

If you read the manual it warns you this may happen :)
Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may occasionally cause Model 3 to brake when not required or when you are not expecting it. This can be caused by closely following a vehicle ahead, detecting vehicles or objects in adjacent lanes (especially on curves), etc. Warning: Due to limitations inherent in the onboard GPS (Global Positioning System), you may experience situations in which Traffic-Aware Cruise Control slows down the vehicle, especially near highway exits where a curve is detected and/or you are actively navigating to a destination and not following the route

I have this happen in several areas. I drive on a lot of rural roads which are 50 when not marked. Tesla limits the autopilot to 45 max on these roads.
And there are multiple roads near me marked with 50 mph signs, but my car thinks these roads are only 35 mph!! These are flat straight roads and would be great for auto-pilot if it worked right.
And then there's also the phantom braking anytime the roads dip, I know a couple of spots to watch out for that.

Agreed, it is a bit alarming. I was on the highway and all of a sudden it slowed down to 45mph from 70. At some point that area of the highway was under construction, but it's no longer under construction. Luckily I had nobody behind me, but I can see how someone can rear end you.