Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with FSD sales and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP seems to be focused on the cost aspect of FSD ("buy", "amount of money", "profitable"), so I'm just putting the cost in perspective.

It's funny that people think FSD should cost anywhere close to $10K. If Tesla delivers actual FSD, it'd be easily worth $40K+.

So yes, Elon needs to deliver, but once he does, expect FSD to cost a lot more than it does now. By then, people will have other things to complain about.

At which point no one (no meaningful #'s in any case) will buy it!!!!

I agree with the OP. I bought FSD thinking it was further along. It's more trouble to use than just manually driving (which is fun anyway). All of the videos showing the new FSD beta look promising. I wish Elon would release it to everyone who purchased FSD. I would feel like I was getting something for my money then.

I feel that the software should transfer to a new Tesla when you trade. I upgraded to a new computer, I transfered my software to my new machine. I would hate to have to repurchase all the software again just because I bought a new computer. FSD is just software and the car is just a rolling computer. Right?

Here's a fun fact:

i *would* have been willing to spend multiple tens of thousands of dollars on actual FSD because I hate driving that much and I also hate the idea of not owning a private car.

However, Tesla's lying and generally crappy behavior towards their early FSD buyers has all but ensured I will never buy another car from them unless they un-fugg their way of handling this situation.

Nope. I said the group of people in that group who can afford to buy a 100k car is extremely small. Comprehension...
Negative. You said

"blind people with a history of DUIs and enough wealth to spend 100k on a car is a very niche market, but I appreciate your creativity the most."

"Blind people with a history of DUIs" - gtfo.

Would I be priced out of the market? Yes, but a lot of people won't be. Then again I believe that most people would pay the subscription instead of buying.

I also believe that in 10 years most people won't be buying cars period. Once Level 5 is here, it will mostly be just using robotaxis imo

Negative. You said

"blind people with a history of DUIs and enough wealth to spend 100k on a car is a very niche market, but I appreciate your creativity the most."

"Blind people with a history of DUIs" - gtfo.

y u stop there? I clearly said and enough wealth to spend 100k on a car

pay attention. Hell, you even quoted the post but you still couldn’t make it out. No wonder you think people will pay 40K for fsd. LOL....

Edit: I figured it out. “Very niche” means small, big funny words.... I’m assuming you know what and means!?!

Last edited:
No one is gonna pay 40k for fsd....

I think you're missing some massive groups of people.

The biggest group that I can think of is Senior citizens. Where they still want their freedom, but they have issues with driving. Or they're worried about their driving, but they're too stubborn to let go of it. Quite a few of us including myself have had to take the keys away from our parents because they're a danger to others on the roads.

Older folks might not traditionally spend >$70K on a car, but exceptions are made.

In technology the price of something goes down fairly rapidly over time, and EV's a perfect example of this. The 2015 Model S I had was close to $100K when I bought it, but it doesn't have nearly the range/dollar that a new Model 3 offers or even the new Model S.

So I expect the cost of self-driving cars to quickly come down as the high demand from certain groups is satisfied. But, those groups will account for years, and years of lucrative sales.

For myself I'm kind of lucky in that Tesla didn't accomplish FSD because if/when they do I promised my mother I'd give her my car. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
You Guys are missing the point. Sure a lot of people may want FSD.

But people who want it can’t necessarily afford it.

the people who want it and can afford to spend 100k on a car is super small. Even if 100 thousand people can and want to buy fsd, that isn’t enough to sustain a business.

I have a huge issue with how they handle pricing and all of their software upgrades. I would have no issue with them crediting a % of your FSD purchases to a new car. FSD will always be a balance of software and HW costs so I can see why it does not transfer.

When you have a major company that pretty much relies on the whims of a single man for policies and pricing you are going to have unhappy people. We are all one tweet away from a price increase or decrease lol

You Guys are missing the point. Sure a lot of people may want FSD.

But people who want it can’t necessarily afford it.

the people who want it and can afford to spend 100k on a car is super small. Even if 100 thousand people can and want to buy fsd, that isn’t enough to sustain a business.

Looking at just Senior citizens there are more than 54 million of them.

Now obviously they're not all going to run out to buy a $70K to $100K autonomous car, but quite a few of them will. More importantly other groups will buy them to allow the senior citizens to have more independence. For something like transportation the cost of the car is small compared to hiring a driver, and all the liability that comes with that.

Another group of people are power couples. Why argue about who has to take the kid to school/practice/etc when the car can do it?

A truly autonomous car is literally giving people freedom, and freedom has a lot of value.

Freedom to tell people their wrong on the internet while riding your car to the coast
Freedom to sleep while your car is taking you to the coast
Freedom from having to park your car in the city. It just goes and parks itself in some specialized parking for self-driving cars. Maybe some vertical stackup.

There is nothing more valuable to humans than time itself. Time behind the wheel is time you could better spend doing other things.

I don't think they're going to be demand limited. Instead they're going to be limited by the vehicle offering not matching up with what people want. With autonomous cars what people want out of a cars interior is going to be quite different.

I think we're looking at this the wrong way though. FSD won't happen overnight, and instead its going to scale towards it. It's going to be a slow process. Where each step of the FSD pricing will reflect take rates. Tesla has a really low cost FSD package (the cost to them)where they can price things to demand pretty well without losing money.

As soon as they start subscription pricing I think the pricing is going to be reflective of the demand. I don't think it will start out at $550 (what $40K would work out to assuming 72 months), but will be much lower at around $150 a month.

If/when Tesla turns on L4/L5 that is when the demand will likely peak up so I expect much higher monthly pricing at that point. That would translate into much higher resale values on cars with FSD. I don't expect that to happen though because I don't believe HW3 is capable of truly autonomous driving.

So for the near future the only autonomous vehicles I expect to see are going to be insanely expensive fleet vehicles like Waymo has.

Here's a fun fact:

i *would* have been willing to spend multiple tens of thousands of dollars on actual FSD because I hate driving that much and I also hate the idea of not owning a private car.

However, Tesla's lying and generally crappy behavior towards their early FSD buyers has all but ensured I will never buy another car from them unless they un-fugg their way of handling this situation.

Tell me about me. I purchased my Model S in December 2016 and paid for FSD and I am still waiting for what was promised. Here is a snapshot of the original description from when I purchased it in 2016.

FSD.jpg

They should give me a refund of the $8k that I paid for it. Looking at the new Model S they want to charge me $10k for it and I never got what I purchased the first time around over 4 years ago.