Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended acceleration lawsuit involving 120+ cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
In spite of the strong likelihood that this lawsuit is nonsense I see this story headlining several websites including CNN. Since this is the investors forum I wonder how many of you investors believe the timing of this story and TSLA’s rocketing upward price are just coincidental?

BTW I realize that many of us may admire someone like Warren Buffett who has mostly spent his life figuring out ways to make money as opposed to the Elon Musk who has made lots of money but also created many things of value. So while I don’t have any problem with making money for making money’s sake only, I do have a huge problem with investors who make their money by creating fake news to manipulate stock prices. Anyone want to defend that practice or at least admit to having done it? To me it is no different than burglarizing my house.

Every MFR has SUA filings it seems. EVs are less forgiving of pushing the wrong pedal than ICE vehicles are.

For new EV owners, I recommend setting the car for CREEP ON, set regen to Low, and do not charge over 90% (keep your regen steady). Your car will behave more like an ICE. One pedal driving is something that must be learned.

...this lawsuit...

This is an NHTSA planning to conduct an investigation of 500,000 Tesla cars for unintended acceleration in response to 127 complaints, not a lawsuit.

There was a 2016 class-action lawsuit on this very subject but all but one plaintiff dropped out because maybe they didn't think they could have a chance arguing against the cars' logs.

The last one remaining in that lawsuit was the famous South Korean star Son Ji-chang since 2016 and additionally slapped the Defamation lawsuit against Tesla (How could Tesla dare to even blame that a famous South Korean star could have a pedal misapplication) but the whole drama was all dismissed by the court last year.

A few years ago, I took a Skip Barber race driving course in Formula Fords. One exercise was to intentionally spin our cars, then regain control by pushing in the clutch and brake at the same time, as the car was still spinning. Before the exercise, the instructors warned us that a substantial percentage of the class would hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Well, we all tried it, one after the other, and 25% of the class hit the accelerator instead of the brake! Even with warning, somewhat skilled drivers experienced unintended acceleration in a car with a purely mechanical linkage. One driver even claimed to have been certain that he was on the brakes, after he'd charged way off course, into the weeds.

If you want to cure it forever, learn to left-foot brake. The brakes are more powerful than the motors. Keep your foot off the brake when not using it, but hover your left foot over the brake, whenever there's a need for caution. For those with advanced driving skills, it will help you balance the car as you transition from hard acceleration to hard braking. Of course, if any car ever tries to accelerate on you, take you foot off the accelerator and stand on the brakes.

Every MFR has SUA filings it seems. EVs are less forgiving of pushing the wrong pedal than ICE vehicles are.

For new EV owners, I recommend setting the car for CREEP ON, set regen to Low, and do not charge over 90% (keep your regen steady). Your car will behave more like an ICE. One pedal driving is something that must be learned.
If they do that, they never learn how great it can be.

Reactions: JenniferH

Well, you have a good point there.... at least as far as my wife is concerned. After her first test drive, she was saying things like "It's too different. You drive it and I'll drive my Toyota."
So in her profile, I set creep on, regen low, chill mode, no using AP, and let her get used to the other unusual things first..... like using a stalk to change drive modes and parking, and getting used to handling and other differences. Then I turned on regen and let her get used to that, etc. Lastly, I turned off chill mode.

Now for the BAD NEWS..... I can't get her out of the damn car! :eek: When do I get to drive it? Bottom line, a big mistake to do this if you want to keep your spouse away from your car :)

If they do that, they never learn how great it can be.
I think you missed his point. It's a way to let a new Tesla driver acclimate to the differences from an ICE car. It worked for my wife. Otherwise she didn't want to drive it at all. It's really cool that we can make these settings to adapt to what a user likes and then make it more aggressive if/when desired. :)

Reactions: CrayZ1
I think you missed his point. It's a way to let a new Tesla driver acclimate to the differences from an ICE car. It worked for my wife. Otherwise she didn't want to drive it at all. It's really cool that we can make these settings to adapt to what a user likes and then make it more aggressive if/when desired. :)

Exactly. Not just my wife, but most people I've let test drive my EVs have said they did not like one pedal driving shortly after they started their drive. Then they adapt.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
This will probably put an end to the lawsuit fairly quickly:

After reviewing the available data, ODI has not identified evidence that would support opening a defect investigation into SUA in the subject vehicles. In every instance in which event data was available for review by ODI, the evidence shows that SUA crashes in the complaints cited by the petitioner have been caused by pedal misapplication. There is no evidence of any fault in the accelerator pedal assemblies, motor control systems, or brake systems that has contributed to any of the cited incidents. There is no evidence of a design factor contributing to increased likelihood of pedal misapplication. The theory provided of a potential electronic cause of SUA in the subject vehicles is based upon inaccurate assumptions about system design and log data.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INCLA-DP20001-6158.PDF

Reactions: Rarity