Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TaoJones nice write up ..I have been to over 50 super chargers ..and really it’s mainly the LA/SD ones that set bad perceptions across the board ..outside of these areas Im usually the only one at an SC ...not sure what part of country you drive through but in the LA/OC area Tesla’s are as common as Honda’s nearly every SC is packed full ..recently in Downey they opened two urban chargers blocks apart ....this is kind of density they need to get to support volume in certain areas of the country ...only other SC that compared to this was Barstow in the early days when that was only one in between Socal and Vegas ..

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and forkee
@TaoJones nice write up ..I have been to over 50 super chargers ..and really it’s mainly the LA/SD ones that set bad perceptions across the board ..outside of these areas Im usually the only one at an SC ...not sure what part of country you drive through but in the LA/OC area Tesla’s are as common as Honda’s nearly every SC is packed full ..recently in Downey they opened two urban chargers blocks apart ....this is kind of density they need to get to support volume in certain areas of the country ...only other SC that compared to this was Barstow in the early days when that was only one in between Socal and Vegas ..
Or....Or...…

If Tesla is able to cut SC time in half ...then that's the same as installing twice as many.

September 16th announcement? Supercharger v3?

Reactions: P85_DA

I don't live anywhere near California, however there are superchargers under construction around the LA area

395 Santa Monica Place ( Santa Monica )
1401 Santa Monica Blvd ( Santa Monica )
4799 Commons Way (Calabasas)
7777 Edinger Ave ( Huntington Beach )
15234 Summit Ave ( Fontana )

and one just opened up yesterday up north of LA in Thousand oaks.
350 West Hillcrest Drive ( Thousand Oaks ).

At least those folks won't have to come to LA for supercharging as they pass through.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Downey ones are the closest to me and they hardly have cars. So awesome:)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Yu don't believe Tesla's statements?
I have no idea why you are asking such a strange question.

At the moment I "believe" what Tesla has listed on my account which is "pay per use". The questions was simple: has anyone been able to get free supercharging that has a Model 3 Performance ordered before Aug 1.

I just called Tesla and they say that a firmware update will be coming out in the next few weeks that will allow free Supercharging for Model 3 Performance purchased before Aug 1, 2018.

I thought it would only require an update to my account but that does not seem to be the case.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I called Tesla back but select a different option.

That person said my account showed free supercharging and he thought it would take a little while before it was reflected on my account web page.

So, I have decided to take a short road trip to the Gilroy Supercharger and see what happens when I try to charge.

I called Tesla back but select a different option.

That person said my account showed free supercharging and he thought it would take a little while before it was reflected on my account web page.

So, I have decided to take a short road trip to the Gilroy Supercharger and see what happens when I try to charge.
IF you do happen to get charged for Supercharging, Tesla would most like refund those charges.

We originally got an early 2017 Model S100D that did not include free Supercharging. We Supercharged it once or twice to see how the charges showed up online and in the car. Then later in 2017, Tesla brought free Supercharging back (with referral code) and they retroactively refunded all Supercharging fees that owners had been charged for when free Supercharging wasn't available (2017Q1).

After that first charge (and eventual refund), we never had to pay for Supercharging again.

Reactions: FlatSix911
IF you do happen to get charged for Supercharging, Tesla would most like refund those charges.

We originally got an early 2017 Model S100D that did not include free Supercharging. We Supercharged it once or twice to see how the charges showed up online and in the car. Then later in 2017, Tesla brought free Supercharging back (with referral code) and they retroactively refunded all Supercharging fees that owners had been charged for when free Supercharging wasn't available (2017Q1).

After that first charge (and eventual refund), we never had to pay for Supercharging again.
If you have to pay are you given the pricing before it starts charging or does it just start charging when you plug the cable in?

Sorry for not be clearer.

Is there a difference on the Tesla screen between free and pay so you know which one it thinks you have? Or is it just the same "Start Charge" screen with no indication of free/pay?
Yes. If you don't have free Supercharging then it will show a Paid Supercharging section on the charging screen.

First look at Tesla Paid Supercharging: How it works

tesla-paid-supercharging-battery-screen-2.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Off Shore
I just got this email about 30 seconds ago.

Hi Garlan,

We just added free, unlimited Supercharging to your Model 3 Performance.

In addition, you can also participate in the Tesla Referral Program and give unlimited Supercharging to five friends who purchase Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance until September 16. From that point on, orders placed with a referral code will receive free Supercharging for one year instead of unlimited.

As a thank you, we’ll send you exclusive awards for your referrals—including a drivable Tesla Model S for Kids, a Signature Black Wall Connector, and an invitation to our next unveiling event. You can track your referrals through the Tesla App, or check out the full program details here.

Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.