Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you 100% certain of that? That would be nice. However, based upon recent past performance, I highly doubt it, at least for the US market.
As long as you order on the same day as someone without a reservation or a later reservation, you will be ahead. So on day 1 of 35k model if you are on here and see the 5 threads started on it at the same time, place your order. (If you want the base)

As long as you order on the same day as someone without a reservation or a later reservation, you will be ahead. So on day 1 of 35k model if you are on here and see the 5 threads started on it at the same time, place your order. (If you want the base)

Interesting. Well, good luck to the base model seekers. Although that's a tough call - a P3 with included SCing and a $7500 offset (tax credit) versus a strippie later. I guess the strippie/base model would make a nice in-town or second car, yeah. It should dent the Dolt/Nissan Grief/VW e-Golf sales a tad, and finally quiet the whining about price points. Maybe. If people want to spend only $25K-ish, all they have to do is wait 24 months and buy a pre-owned, high-mileage Model 3 LR.

Time to get my interest-free loan, er, deposit back. It was fun driving out to Palm Springs to be 7th in line at oh-dark-thirty over 2 years ago, but.... no mas.

Interesting. Well, good luck to the base model seekers. Although that's a tough call - a P3 with included SCing and a $7500 offset (tax credit) versus a strippie later. I guess the strippie/base model would make a nice in-town or second car, yeah. It should dent the Dolt/Nissan Grief/VW e-Golf sales a tad, and finally quiet the whining about price points. Maybe. If people want to spend only $25K-ish, all they have to do is wait 24 months and buy a pre-owned, high-mileage Model 3 LR.

Time to get my interest-free loan, er, deposit back. It was fun driving out to Palm Springs to be 7th in line at oh-dark-thirty over 2 years ago, but.... no mas.
If you want to throw your reservation on my account I'll buy it off you. My 8pm day one won't be as good for my base model second model 3. :D

And first-day line waiters get what, exactly?

Crickets.

Mmmmkay. Time to request my deposit back since it now means less than nothing.

Addendum: Nope - nothing funny about it. The list of unfulfilled Elonisms is not short. If you can't keep your word, then STFU.

Sorry, I'm reading your sig, and you're not new to Tesla. I could see the huffing and puffing if you were currently driving a Focus, and were about to make the EV leap, but you've danced this dance before, and you're acting like it's the first time you've ever heard this song....

I know this will give FlatSix the giggles, but I would again not turn down a free SC offer for the first-day reservations who bought first production as soon as it became available and without hesitation (this is way, way under 500k). :B Heck, only make it available to FSD purchasers to further reduce the congestion concerns (this must be well under 20k). My die-cast model is collecting dust. :(

If you want to throw your reservation on my account I'll buy it off you. My 8pm day one won't be as good for my base model second model 3. :D

You’re welcome to it although if I remember right, Tesla’s not big upon allowing transfers.

8pm Day One was a smarter move, given the reneging upon any kind of special consideration whatsoever - no lines and you’re just past the 115,000 Day One global sight-unseen total of reservations.

I know Elon was blown away when he stopped in at Centinela and promised something special for the line waiters. Which he reiterated at the Summer 2017 launch. But still. Accountability matters.

Agreed re even a year of SCing ffs.

The die-cast mode car was a very cool idea but was never exclusive to line waiters, plus they ran out fairly early on.

People and especially fanbois have gotten desensitized after years of statements that have gone unfulfilled. Revisionist history abounds.

And in 10 years, few will care. Tesla will have the safest vehicles on the road and will quite possibly be the leader for pickup trucks as well. Those big picture achievements will be staggering. Not to mention they’ll save lives.

Plus we’re about to see a very entertaining short squeeze.

So there’s that. But it does not excuse crickets and even the lack of a simple clarifying statement with regard to the aforementioned.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
It happens today with a small fraction of that install base.

@Garlan Garner is speaking from theory. Those with practical experience know different.

It’s not a knock. The superchargers that the typical person would be able to use often is guess what.. taken up by a typical person.

The typical person doesn’t live close to parcels of land that support 40 stall mega chargers.

My theory is Tesla turns a blind eye to the congestion problem because most long distance travelers will be targeting those mega stall chargers that are practically vacant.

@Garlan Garner is speaking from theory. Those with practical experience know different.

It’s not a knock. The superchargers that the typical person would be able to use often is guess what.. taken up by a typical person.

The typical person doesn’t live close to parcels of land that support 40 stall mega chargers.

My theory is Tesla turns a blind eye to the congestion problem because most long distance travelers will be targeting those mega stall chargers that are practically vacant.
Wait a min....you started by saying that I'm speaking from theory.

Then you ended by giving your theory.

LOL.

Thank goodness Tesla is ending the free Supercharging for life program on September 16, 2018. :cool:
Let's maintain Supercharging for long distance travel and encourage home and workplace charging for all.

upload_2018-8-3_19-13-57.png

Last edited:
Thank goodness Tesla is ending the free Supercharging for life program on September 16, 2018. :cool:
Let's maintain Supercharging for long distance travel and encourage home or workplace charging for all.

View attachment 322811

Will that actually happen? Is this September date the moment when it finally happens?

Or will it be just like every other moment that came before where the offer got extended.

I'm totally on-board with it ending. That the psychology of free motivates people to charge when they don't really need to.

But, I'm pretty cynical about it actually happening.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Let's maintain Supercharging for long distance travel and encourage home or workplace charging for all.

View attachment 322811

It’s going to be a race between
-Tesla putting unlimited SC to death as a demand lever.
-OJ Simpson finding the real killers.
-35K Model 3
-Dividing by zero

Which will happen first?

My theory is it's more beneficial for the free market to come up with a solution than it is for Tesla to install 40+ stall local charging in close radius of city centers.

The market itself will recognize the demand shift for charging at grocery stores, shopping centers, etc.

I'll hardly ever use them, but lots of other people will.

For me personally what I like is Supercharger just outside the city that allow me to charge upon entering or exiting a city. I expect those to have a moderate level of activity. In WA state we have them going North, and East but not going South which is a major inconvenience.

One of my motivations for getting the three is to go from <180 miles of real world range (with a good buffer) to well over 250. That will allow me to completely skip supercharging. Where I can simply leave my house, and drive 200 miles to a hotel with destination charging. That will be better than a gas car since with my gas car I have to fill up at least once.