Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlock without starting HVAC/Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model Y last weekend. Today when I was putting things inside the car and install new mudflaps, every time I would open the door, it would start the radio and HVAC and then I would hear it run for about 30 minute while I was outside of the car putting the mudflaps on.

Is there a way to simply open the door or trunk without any of that turning on. It used about 4% power throughout the afternoon with doing this.

I did not see anything specific about this in the manual/google with a quick search but hoping its something easy.

Just push the left scroll button when you exit the car. That ‘pauses’ the audio system. Only way to not have the HVAC turn on is to turn it off when you exit. I believe it will keep it off. But why bother, it’s not using a lot of energy and will turn off when the car locks again. It was probably not locking because you were still there.

Just seems strange for me to open the trunk to put something in that the HVAC turns on and runs for 30 mins but it’s my first Tesla.
Mine stops running shortly after the door or trunk closes. I wonder why yours is behaving differently. Could it be that it is really cold out so it is warming the battery using the heat pump? That is just a crazy guess, I’m not sure if that is how it works.

Just seems strange for me to open the trunk to put something in that the HVAC turns on and runs for 30 mins but it’s my first Tesla.
As I mentioned, if you are close to the car, like you said you were, it won't lock and go to sleep - so the HVAC may keep running. If you walk away, the car will lock and the HVCAC will stop almost immediately. Oh, and make sure you have Cabin Overheat Protection set to Off if you don't want the HVAC to run at all if you're not in the car.

As I mentioned, if you are close to the car, like you said you were, it won't lock and go to sleep - so the HVAC may keep running. If you walk away, the car will lock and the HVCAC will stop almost immediately. Oh, and make sure you have Cabin Overheat Protection set to Off if you don't want the HVAC to run at all if you're not in the car.
I did make sure to walk away so that it beeped the horn and locked before coming back to install the mud flaps. It was 55 degrees here yesterday so I don't think that the Overheat protection is turning on. Once I have my home charger installed, I don't think it will bother me any more.

If the screen is not on the HVAC is not on. You might be hearing the water pump or the fan just running. The computer is water cooled. When the car is awake it's on. It will go into deep sleep after a while. If the car is charging it will stay on.

You may hear buzzing, pumps, fans and clunking when your Tesla is just sitting parked and locked. It does not mean your HVAC is still on.

You can open the app on your phone and go to climate. It will show if it's off or on.