Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlooping electricity supply

Did you have to pay to unloop your supply?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bollards fitted... then blended with sealant tint etc...

Concrete remedy looks OK.

Screenshot_20230115_222711_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230115_222916_Gallery.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91
Northern powergrid were OK with me on getting supply 'unlooped' for free as a looped supply is not sufficient for a modern household, luckily we have grass between the houses up to our side-be side meter boxes so it went fairly well. My main issue was who's responsibility to check that the 100A sticker on my fuse meant it was 100A, it took 3 months FOLLOWING the unloop for me to get it resolved so I could get Podpoint to install the charger. British gas at the time was my electric supplier, who said it was the DNO's responsibility to check the fuse, the DNO said it was British gas. In the end the only resolution was a lovely support staff member who put an 'emergency call' for someone to replace the fuse due to whole house power loss, the engineer who came out from the DNO was not surprised, pulled the fuse - a 100A fuse, how about that!!! and put it back in, an easy job confused by the stupidity of our infrastructure limitations in this country!

I contacted ENW for the cable plans via their website and found I was looped (neighbour off me) - emailed them and was told I had to be unlooped before charger could be installed. Took about 8 weeks and was free. Hardest part was convincing neighbour, he didn't want his gravel path digging up - I sped things up by allowing ENW to dig my drive to provide new supply. Took about 3 days to complete, and a further 4 days to make good as they didn't work weekends. Was public enemy number one in the cul de sac!

Said neighbour has a hybrid and now had a charger installed too.... he's welcome!

20210825_114220.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Js1977 and PITA
I contacted ENW for the cable plans via their website and found I was looped (neighbour off me) - emailed them and was told I had to be unlooped before charger could be installed. Took about 8 weeks and was free. Hardest part was convincing neighbour, he didn't want his gravel path digging up - I sped things up by allowing ENW to dig my drive to provide new supply. Took about 3 days to complete, and a further 4 days to make good as they didn't work weekends. Was public enemy number one in the cul de sac!

Said neighbour has a hybrid and now had a charger installed too.... he's welcome!
Just had a letter from one of those compensation claim firms, stating I may have high voltage cable under my property for a neighbour and could be entitled to compensation!

Just had a letter from one of those compensation claim firms, stating I may have high voltage cable under my property for a neighbour and could be entitled to compensation!

I use to have a neighbours telephone cable running under our garden to cut a corner. Was never a problem until their phone had a problem and they decided that they needed to dig up our front garden to investigate. We had just had a new path installed and as they didn't have a wayleave I refused. So they just laid a new cable along a slightly different route that didn't cut the corner across our land.

Had a wayleave been in place, we would have been entitled to a peppercorn rent. So any claim, if it didn't sound like a scam, would probably be only a few pennies.

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulMD
Was this looped supply business just a wacky way of saving some copper on terrace houses for you midlanders?

I’ve never heard or seen of it anywhere else?

Similar to the same batshit nonsense that BT pulled in the sixties and seventies with aluminium cabling on the phone network. That went well. Not

😅

Was this looped supply business just a wacky way of saving some copper on terrace houses for you midlanders?

Similar to the same batshit nonsense that BT pulled in the sixties and seventies with aluminium cabling on the phone network. That went well. Not

😅
Very popular in the 80’s. I’ve seen 3 houses looped together in some areas. Not as bad as CONSAC cable though, that’s horrendous.

😅

Ours was looped with our Neighbour... both Detached houses.

So not just semi's and terraced.

What initially was a disappointment to learn about looped supply, quickly turned into a massive benefit when they upgraded us to 3 Phase free of cost.

Just got very lucky it seems...

Reactions: Sean.
Ours was looped with our Neighbour... both Detached houses.

So not just semi's and terraced.

What initially was a disappointment to learn about looped supply, quickly turned into a massive benefit when they upgraded us to 3 Phase free of cost.

Just got very lucky it seems...
Yeah I just wonder if it’s more regionally biased. Haven’t seen this in London or Suffolk for instance.

Very popular in the 80’s. I’ve seen 3 houses looped together in some areas. Not as bad as CONSAC cable though, that’s horrendous.
When I did an 100A 3-phase upgrade with UKPN in Suffolk in 2013 - certain it was aluminium cable - but may have been waveform? I was surprised just how light it was.

Supposing CONSAC was the earlier aluminium with the paper and bituminous stuff as protection and outer sheath in aluminium?

In London did a 200A upgrade, but again I think that was copper, as it was an utter biatch for the crew to pull through the 6-inch bent steel conduit the UKPN super insisted we had installed.

When I did an 100A 3-phase upgrade with UKPN in Suffolk in 2013 - certain it was aluminium cable - but may have been waveform? I was surprised just how light it was.

Supposing CONSAC was the earlier aluminium with the paper and bituminous stuff as protection and outer sheath in aluminium?

In London did a 200A upgrade, but again I think that was copper, as it was an utter biatch for the crew to pull through the 6-inch bent steel conduit the UKPN super insisted we had installed.
That’s right, all new mains cables will be alu cored with waveform copper neutrals (wavecon) and the consac is paper insulated and solid alu sheathed. Consac is so prone to faulting due to its makeup.

Reactions: Sean.
That’s right, all new mains cables will be alu cored with waveform copper neutrals (wavecon) and the consac is paper insulated and solid alu sheathed. Consac is so prone to faulting due to its makeup.

When we had our 3 phase upgrade I tried to get Copper cabling... a lot of discussion about it, and eventually they settled on Aluminium hybrid cabling.

As they were paying, I couldn't press it further.

They promised it would still be sufficient... and I don't care now anyways, as 3 Phase it is... if they got it wrong they're now responsible for it, and will have to upgrade it if necessary I guess as it's now their problem not mine.

Last edited:
When we had our 3 phase upgrade I tried to get Copper cabling... a lot of discussion about it, and eventually they settled on Aluminium hybrid cabling.

As they were paying, I couldn't press it further.

They promised it would still be sufficient... and I don't care now anyways, as 3 Phase it is... if they got it wrong they're now responsible for it, and will have to upgrade it if necessary I guess as it's now their problem not mine.
Your hybrid cable is perfectly fine, we don’t have issues with that, just the older mains cables!

Reactions: PITA