Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

unpatchable AMD MCU exploit found. Jailbreak your tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I happened to run across this article this morning. As a fan of modifying both electronics & my vehicles, I'm def intrigued.... I cant wait to see the details. Although, I'm sure you can kiss the warranty goodbye

To enable a feature, Tesla would need to push that code to the car originally. I think cars ship from the factory without FSD (versus included and just an option flip).
They could/ can also easily validate vehicle config versus expected and revert them or blacklist the car from future updates.

Reactions: CyberGus
To enable a feature, Tesla would need to push that code to the car originally. I think cars ship from the factory without FSD (versus included and just an option flip).
They could/ can also easily validate vehicle config versus expected and revert them or blacklist the car from future updates.
All cars ship with FSD installed. Subsequent purchase or subscription simply enables the features. I suspect the same is true for FSD beta as well now. If it isn't, it will be soon, since FSD beta has been added to the main software branch.

All cars ship with FSD installed. Subsequent purchase or subscription simply enables the features. I suspect the same is true for FSD beta as well now. If it isn't, it will be soon, since FSD beta has been added to the main software branch.
Sorry, should have specifed FSD Beta.
SmartSelect_20230804_160654_Firefox.jpg

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V085-3451.PDF

OK, but when the recent recall was announced, FSD beta was only on cars that were on the beta test branch. That has changed and FSD beta is now included with every main software branch release and, if not installed at the factory, will likely be very shortly, as Tesla appears to be addressing one of the big complaints about new users not being able to get on the FSD beta test branch. The FSDb version does currently lag behind the test branch, and will probably continue to do so since FSD beta test builds take much longer to release than other feature updates.

I should, of course, qualify that this applies to HW3 cars only. HW4 cars on the main software branch cannot yet enable FSDb because HW4 compatibility was not added until FSDb 11.4.x. So, HW4 cars, although they probably have FSDb installed, cannot enable it. Hopefully that will change soon (two weeks, however long that is?).

Probably it's not difficult for Tesla to check which vehicles are illegal enabled. They have the database of owners who paid for the features. They can secretly scan the cars or or check the cars when performing OTA updates to detect illegal actions and send the police to your house.

Wouldn't that be stealing?
Was it stealing to put a larger carb and hot cam in my 76 BMW 2002?

Void the warranty? OK! Sign me up!

What if I just unplug the whole controller and use an aftermarket? Is that stealing?

I have batteries that can supply a certain amount of current safely. I have motors that can convert that to power. The only thing holding it back are some numbers on a throttle map. It's arguably stealing from me to not let me choose to use the ability of the car I own (or almost like blackmail).

For me, I'll wait until the battery warranty expires, then I'm opening this thing up one way or another (Atom processor, so it won't be this hack, but I'll hack it somehow).

But in the end I think Tesla has the right to limit the performance in order to make the battery last the expected lifetime, and charge me for the performance upgrade, assuming they'll have higher warranty repairs for higher performance.

FSD is another story. I would not want to hack that even if I could. Liability for an unsupported FSD implementation would be too risky. Plus that would be stealing, using the software without paying for it.

Was it stealing to put a larger carb and hot cam in my 76 BMW 2002?

Void the warranty? OK! Sign me up!

What if I just unplug the whole controller and use an aftermarket? Is that stealing?

I have batteries that can supply a certain amount of current safely. I have motors that can convert that to power. The only thing holding it back are some numbers on a throttle map. It's arguably stealing from me to not let me choose to use the ability of the car I own (or almost like blackmail).

For me, I'll wait until the battery warranty expires, then I'm opening this thing up one way or another (Atom processor, so it won't be this hack, but I'll hack it somehow).

But in the end I think Tesla has the right to limit the performance in order to make the battery last the expected lifetime, and charge me for the performance upgrade, assuming they'll have higher warranty repairs for higher performance.

FSD is another story. I would not want to hack that even if I could. Liability for an unsupported FSD implementation would be too risky. Plus that would be stealing, using the software without paying for it.
look into voltpillager for intel

Reactions: OxBrew