Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug non-Tesla charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using Tesla’s included Mobile Charger with nema 14-50 for a few months with MYP. It works great because the charge port opens automatically when I hold it close, and when it’s done I just click and able to pull out the plug. Recently I switched to JuiceBox 40 in order to take advantage of off-peak rate as required by PSE&G here in NJ. I’m having some trouble taking out the plug after the charge. I know to open charge port I can press the little area at right bottom corner and the charge port would open. That’s great. But let’s say in the morning when charge was completed, and car is in sleep state, what are the correct steps to pull out the plug? Do I have to wake up car first by opening the handle? Then tesla charge light would show green and plug is locked. I’m having some difficulties getting the correct sequence down. Thanks.

Cracking open any door (the left rear passenger door is closest) will wake up the Tesla vehicle if it was in sleep mode. Wait a few seconds and then you can squeeze and release the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector, The light on the Tesla charge port should change to white. Then you can pull the J1772 connector from the Tesla charging port and the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter will release from the charge port and remain with the J1772 connector. No need to use both hands, the Tesla adapter should remain connected to the J1772 charging connector.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmaddr
Cracking open any door (the right rear passenger door is closest) will wake up the Tesla vehicle if it was in sleep mode. Wait a few seconds and then you can squeeze and release the trigger button on the J1772 charging connector, The light on the Tesla charge port should change to white. Then you can pull the J1772 connector from the Tesla charging port and the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter will release from the charge port and remain with the J1772 connector. No need to use both hands, the Tesla adapter should remain connected to the J1772 charging connector.
Thank you. I’ll give it a try. So far I really hate the experience of non-Tesla charger. Tesla charger is just so easy and seamless.

Thank you. I’ll give it a try. So far I really hate the experience of non-Tesla charger. Tesla charger is just so easy and seamless.
(I meant left rear door.) If Sentry Mode is active while the Tesla Model Y is charging then the Tesla will be powered on (no need to first open a door) and you can just squeeze the trigger button on the J1772 connector, the light on the charge port should change from Green (if still actively charging) or Blue (if charging has completed) to White (charge port is unlocked). You will need to have your phone with you to unlock the vehicle if it is locked.

Reactions: jmaddr
(I meant left rear door.) If Sentry Mode is active while the Tesla Model Y is charging then the Tesla will be powered on (no need to first open a door) and you can just squeeze the trigger button on the J1772 connector, the light on the charge port should change from Green (if still actively charging) or Blue (if charging has completed) to White (charge port is unlocked). You will need to have your phone with you to unlock the vehicle if it is locked.
Thanks again! I wish there was a more clear introduction. I was confused as hell. You should make a YouTube video :)

I have been using Tesla’s included Mobile Charger with nema 14-50 for a few months with MYP. It works great because the charge port opens automatically when I hold it close, and when it’s done I just click and able to pull out the plug. Recently I switched to JuiceBox 40 in order to take advantage of off-peak rate as required by PSE&G here in NJ. I’m having some trouble taking out the plug after the charge. I know to open charge port I can press the little area at right bottom corner and the charge port would open. That’s great. But let’s say in the morning when charge was completed, and car is in sleep state, what are the correct steps to pull out the plug? Do I have to wake up car first by opening the handle? Then tesla charge light would show green and plug is locked. I’m having some difficulties getting the correct sequence down. Thanks.
I have used a non-tesla charger for the entire 18 months or so of ownership. My charger has a little clip that I press down and it releases the charger just like a tesla charger. Occasionally, but rarely, the car will not "wake up" and I need to unlock it first to remove the charger. 19 times out of 20, it works like it is supposed to and just like the button on a tesla charger.

Thanks
I have used a non-tesla charger for the entire 18 months or so of ownership. My charger has a little clip that I press down and it releases the charger just like a tesla charger. Occasionally, but rarely, the car will not "wake up" and I need to unlock it first to remove the charger. 19 times out of 20, it works like it is supposed to and just like the button on a tesla charger.
Yeah I think it is working now, but the annoyance is that when I press on the trigger, it will release the adapter so when I pull out the charger the adapter will still leave inside Tesla. I'll then need to manually take out the adapter quickly before charge port door closes. It works, but just annoyance. I wish there's a way that trigger doesn't release the adapter.

Reactions: patnshan
Thanks

Yeah I think it is working now, but the annoyance is that when I press on the trigger, it will release the adapter so when I pull out the charger the adapter will still leave inside Tesla. I'll then need to manually take out the adapter quickly before charge port door closes. It works, but just annoyance. I wish there's a way that trigger doesn't release the adapter.
Press and release the trigger and the adapter will pull out with the J1772 charging connector.

Reactions: patnshan
I wish there's a way that trigger doesn't release the adapter.
Well, there are two possibilities with this.

1. As @jcanoe is describing, with some (maybe most) Tesla cars, if you interrupt with that latch button, the car's charge port may stay unlatched for a few seconds. So then you can release the latch button, which will grab onto the adapter again. And then you pull them out together.

2. But on some of the earlier years of cars, including mine, if you release that latch button, the car's charging port will instantly lock onto the adapter again, so that method doesn't work. So the modified version is: press and hold that latch button, then grab the adapter with your other hand to keep them together and pull them both out together.