TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unplug the blackvue while parked in garage?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, Jun 9, 2018.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Anyone else unplug the dashcam when parked in the garage at home? Seems pointless to keep it running hot all night when not needed

2. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Mine's been running 24/7 for 2 years, no problems.

Then again, the mere act of making this post has now condemned it to a early death.

• Funny x 7
    • Love x 1
  3. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Probably easier on it than many on/off cycles

4. whitex

whitex Active Member

Not worth the trouble really. We have ours run 24/7 without any problems. I don't want to have to remember to have to plug it in and I know my wife wouldn't either. Nothing worse than having an accident and finding out you forgot to plug in your dashcam. I also suspect the actual plugs are also not rated for daily plug/unplug cycles so you may end up wearing them out.

5. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

No. Seems pointless to turn it off. It goes into a reduced/low power mode after a while anyway. But do what you wish.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I was thinking the same thing for my new 900. And I bet the same about the cables. They are not exactly like the UMC/HPWC for example. :D

Bad enough unplugging for the SC so they won’t damage them pulling them out.

7. JPUConn

JPUConn Active Member

Came in handy a few times when my wife or I forgot to close the garage door. Quick review of the blackview app confirmed no funny business.

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I run 24/7... Safe and the dashcam is for recording the unexpected - you never know when it'll be helpful

• Like x 1
  9. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

On my X I run it 24/7 without a problem. On my 3 since I am using an external battery for power, I have a switch to shut off power to the dashcam. I wouldn't want to constantly plug/unplug the connector on the dashcam.

10. speedy

speedy Member

I like options. My Blackvue has two power connections, controlled via a switch. The default mode is to take power from the ignition controlled rear view mirror. The alternate mode is to take it from the always-on connector near the microphone panel. Normally, the camera only comes on while driving or in accessory mode. But for the times when I want it to stay on, I just flick the switch to the always-on mode.

I do this to reduce vampire drain since my car is not plugged in every night. I charge about once a week. YMMV...

• Like x 1
  11. whitex

whitex Active Member

Not plugged in meaning not locked in it's own private garage? Wouldn't you want dashcam footage if you came to find a dent, smashed window or similar?

12. JPP

JPP Active Member

Both cars 24/7. Hard wired. I have an old 550 (5 years old), and my wife's car has a 650 (3 years old). I do have Park Mode set up for minimal video motion, so the camera will go into Park Mode and save power and SD card room. All good.

13. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

I keep my camera plug in the entire time. What I do recommend is a good micro SD card. Something that can handle high endurance.

14. speedy

speedy Member

It's in a garage but I just choose not to charge it every night. I'll charge it up to 80 or 90% and then run it down to about 25-30% over the course of a week before charging it up again.

15. AdamAnt

AdamAnt Member

For the one time someone breaks into your garage and they are caught on candid camera, it will be priceless...

• Like x 1
  16. whitex

whitex Active Member

Actually happened to my neighbor, but here is the kicker - they thieves took the dashcam too.

17. whitex

whitex Active Member

With 2ch blackvues our Model S cars lose maybe 3 miles per 24hrs in the garage.

18. D.E.

D.E. Uncorked

Why not just put a switch in the power line to the camera? Then nothing needs to be unplugged, just flip the switch when it goes in for service.