Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplug the blackvue while parked in garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not worth the trouble really. We have ours run 24/7 without any problems. I don't want to have to remember to have to plug it in and I know my wife wouldn't either. Nothing worse than having an accident and finding out you forgot to plug in your dashcam. I also suspect the actual plugs are also not rated for daily plug/unplug cycles so you may end up wearing them out.

Not worth the trouble really. We have ours run 24/7 without any problems. I don't want to have to remember to have to plug it in and I know my wife wouldn't either. Nothing worse than having an accident and finding out you forgot to plug in your dashcam. I also suspect the actual plugs are also not rated for daily plug/unplug cycles so you may end up wearing them out.
I was thinking the same thing for my new 900. And I bet the same about the cables. They are not exactly like the UMC/HPWC for example. :D

Bad enough unplugging for the SC so they won’t damage them pulling them out.

On my X I run it 24/7 without a problem. On my 3 since I am using an external battery for power, I have a switch to shut off power to the dashcam. I wouldn't want to constantly plug/unplug the connector on the dashcam.

I like options. My Blackvue has two power connections, controlled via a switch. The default mode is to take power from the ignition controlled rear view mirror. The alternate mode is to take it from the always-on connector near the microphone panel. Normally, the camera only comes on while driving or in accessory mode. But for the times when I want it to stay on, I just flick the switch to the always-on mode.

I do this to reduce vampire drain since my car is not plugged in every night. I charge about once a week. YMMV...

Reactions: Langhorne
Both cars 24/7. Hard wired. I have an old 550 (5 years old), and my wife's car has a 650 (3 years old). I do have Park Mode set up for minimal video motion, so the camera will go into Park Mode and save power and SD card room. All good.

Not plugged in meaning not locked in it's own private garage? Wouldn't you want dashcam footage if you came to find a dent, smashed window or similar?

It's in a garage but I just choose not to charge it every night. I'll charge it up to 80 or 90% and then run it down to about 25-30% over the course of a week before charging it up again.