Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unregistered Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today makes it 3 months since my Model 3 was delivered and Tesla has not registered the car yet!!
What a horrific experience! I have spent hours on the phone and emails and still waiting!
My temporary sticker expired 2 months ago and I'm a 6 hr drive from closest dealer.
Mt. Kisco NY dealer (showroom) who delivered my car could care less. Unless it's a sales call they don't respond.
Never in my life have I ever experienced such a bad customer service from any company! Ever!!

Today makes it 3 months since my Model 3 was delivered and Tesla has not registered the car yet!!
What a horrific experience! I have spent hours on the phone and emails and still waiting!
My temporary sticker expired 2 months ago and I'm a 6 hr drive from closest dealer.
Mt. Kisco NY dealer (showroom) who delivered my car could care less. Unless it's a sales call they don't respond.
Never in my life have I ever experienced such a bad customer service from any company! Ever!!

Will this help since your away from dealer? Have you called DMV and asked if you can register yourself and then ask Tesla for refund of documentation and registration costs?

Today marks 13 weeks for me! Fortunately, I was able to get a new 60 day temp tag right before the first one expired.
Will this help since your away from dealer? Have you called DMV and asked if you can register yourself and then ask Tesla for refund of documentation and registration costs?
I don't think you can register it until you have paperwork/bill of sale, etc.

We haven't received any paperwork for the 3 so far. With our previous purchases, we usually got the paperwork in about 40 days.

Today marks 13 weeks for me! Fortunately, I was able to get a new 60 day temp tag right before the first one expired.

I don't think you can register it until you have paperwork/bill of sale, etc.

We haven't received any paperwork for the 3 so far. With our previous purchases, we usually got the paperwork in about 40 days.
Have you called and checked if you've slipped through the cracks? My paperwork arrived about 6 weeks after delivery.

I just submitted an executive escalation as well. I'm not 14 weeks past due thankfully, but I am not about to wait around for them to do it either. Selling thousands of cars and not filing and sending paperwork for those sales just to hit some sales numbers is gross negligence.

I’m In Illinois, how would I check if my car is registered?
To be clear, this is the DMV vehicle registration.

In Illinois, your license plate should have a sticker with a month/year - that's your registration, which needs to be renewed every year with the state. New cars sold in general are issued some form of temporary registration, but that varies by the state. If you have license plates and a sticker that expires next year, you're good to go. I believe you'll also have some sort of document that you usually keep in your glovebox, but I don't know the laws in IL.

Call the Tesla store you took delivery from, they should overnight you a new temp dealer tag.
And what happens when the store doesn't pick up their phone, or respond to your voicemails? This is my current situation. The sales desk picks up right away, and transfers me to a line on infinite hold. The only phone number I have for a delivery rep goes to voicemail and I've left a few messages. I'm going to have to find some time to go shake some trees at their store on Monday, but it's legitimate amateur hour.

And the store's been around for a while. It's not their first delivery or something.

Delivery of my P3D was 10/8/18, just got my plates and registration sticker yesterday, 1/4/19, just shy of 12 weeks. These extremely long registration times are apparently the norm right now, it looks to me like the administrative side of Tesla that's dealing with paperwork hasn't yet caught up with the pace of the manufacturing and delivery.

As another example for this same car that was delivered on 10/8/18, Tesla didn't get the dealer funding request sent to my lender until 12/20/18, so nearly 10 weeks before my loan showed that it was active. Technically, that went past the 60 day limit that my lender set, but they accepted the dealer funding request anyway. If they had been a stickler, they could have rejected it and made me re-apply for the loan.