Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual tire problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We arrived for breakfast a little late and two of my buddies were holding a parking spot in front of the restaurant. I puled in and we had breakfast and planned on meeting nearby to visit a museum. On the way there after only a few feet my wife asked what the clicking was, I thought it was a rock in the tire. It persisted so I stopped and had a look. What shocked me was a 1/2 inch bold squarely in the middle of the tire up to the head. I called Tesla service and in about 1/2 hour a truck arrived with a replacement mounted tire. The size of the hole is such that the tire cannot be plugged so that's $400 in the hole so to speak. It seems this was a deliberate act. I am going over the sentry clips to see if anyone did it while we were eating breakfast. Anyone else had something like this happen to them?

I have pulled bolts, screw, nails, and a knife from the treads of my tires. The latest was a blade from a wall scraper. 3 inches long at 2 inches deep. Had Tesla tow car to service center and they put a new tire on. Ran $400 or so.

With trucks dropping stuff of their beds all the time I am not at all surprised by this. All it takes is a little careless packing and a small pot hole and things go flying. You run over them and all of a sudden you get that old tick-tick-tick noise and know it is new tire time.

Worse thing I heard about was a small hydraulic jack with handle attached. That fell out on the Altamont pass, a very highly traveled road. The tow driver I heard the story from (he was towing my X to the SC at the time) said it took out at least 6 cars during rush hour.

More importantly where you playing rap music!:cool:
No, Paul van Dyk.
I have pulled bolts, screw, nails, and a knife from the treads of my tires. The latest was a blade from a wall scraper. 3 inches long at 2 inches deep. Had Tesla tow car to service center and they put a new tire on. Ran $400 or so.

With trucks dropping stuff of their beds all the time I am not at all surprised by this. All it takes is a little careless packing and a small pot hole and things go flying. You run over them and all of a sudden you get that old tick-tick-tick noise and know it is new tire time.

Worse thing I heard about was a small hydraulic jack with handle attached. That fell out on the Altamont pass, a very highly traveled road. The tow driver I heard the story from (he was towing my X to the SC at the time) said it took out at least 6 cars during rush hour.
Odd the clicking became evident after leaving the parking space not before. 2 of my buddies were holding a space in front of the restaurant both are gearheads and would have noticed a bolt. I'm going to go through my removable hard drive and see if during the time we were there eating breakfast someone planted it. It is a tire that had another tire in front of it which is the right rear. I know I'm likely paranoid but...

We were in Yosemite years ago and we had a flat caused by a rock.