Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There will be another trim level for sale for the Model S. Option code OMGIJSM (oh my gawd, I just sh*t myself). The car will have retractable wheeliebars and dual parachutes, and come with easy to clean vinyl seats.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
This seems the most likely speculation: Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

If this turns out to be correct, it's pretty significant. Probably won't roll out as quickly as some may wish, but significant nonetheless.

Maybe they've already been putting the new chip and camera software into the newly delivered S and X cars, but with AP 1.0 hardware? So they're no longer using MobileEye's hardware, but instead using the new Tesla rig instead, but since there's no additional camera or radar sensors none of the new owners knew about it?

Reactions: NicB72
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think this will be a minor thing. If it was major, and I'd consider AP 2.0 to be major, I would think there would be more fanfare and a bigger event planned than one off hand tweet a week before. Arrrrrrgh, I keep second guessing myself. The 17th can't get here soon enough.

Reactions: Model 3
"unexpected by most " means that over 50% people do not expect it but less than 50% do.

Did anyone expect unveiling on the 17th? I think it's safe to say that no one or only Tesla people. Therefore I think that unexpected by many refers to a product not the date. What product is expected by less than 50% of people?

Autopilot is expected by most - same with v8.1, 100kWh battery, solar roof, powerwall 2.0 and model Y.

My guess would be rear bench seat in model X, middle console in 6 passenger X or Spotify service in USA.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The AP1.0 was announced in early Oct 2014. This is the two-yr anniversary. 2yrs is eternity in the world of EM. So AP2.0 would be my bet. MobileEye divorce must have impacted the roll-out of dual-camera (based on casing/findings, one cam for each lane/side dedicated, like in some other cars BMW/Volvo? which are MI based?) and going triple (Bosch) would be quite a challenge for Tesla to adjust to - but they are likely used to such challenges. As the re-tooling happens at the beginning of the quarter (I read somewhere), I would think the AP2.0 h/w would be getting into productions starting 1st week of October. If all this is true, I would be disappointed, my car (to take delivery next week) was built in mid Sept :-(.

Continuing, Musk will not announce new product in Oct if they cannot sell more cars using that unveil, in this Q4. That means, if its the h/w for AP2.0, it has to be in production already.

Another thought on "new production" could be a completely new feature/option for Model S/X that they can charge for (earn revenue). If it is s/w enabled, and can be offered to all model S and X customers with a s/w update, that would be a game changer - as it would give maximum $$. Can't think of what it is, but perhaps letting the Model S/X battery be used as a powerwall for those hurricane season states where the Tesla could power their homes for a day or two (at a cost). Or, that 60/70 owners could "rent" the built-in extra battery for short durations (long weekend trips).

Perhaps, a Google collaboration - offer google autopilot "app" for model S/X cars, at a price-point. So, now, Tesla customers could choose between Tesla/MI or Tesla/Google auto-pilot modes.

Additional confirmation...:cool:
Tesla is about to increase its lead in semi-autonomous driving w/ ‘Tesla Vision’: computer vision based on NVIDIA’s parallel computing

Some of these platforms have started shipping only in the past few weeks, which makes the timing particularly interesting since Elon Musk announced yesterday that Tesla is planning an event for a product unveiling on October 17. While we can’t confirm that the Autopilot 2.0/Tesla Vision will be part of the event, it looks like a real possibility.

Regardless on what hardware ‘Tesla Vision’ will be running on, it is important to note that just like with the introduction of the first generation Autopilot, Tesla is expected to release hardware in its vehicles and then gradually release more advanced autonomous features through over-the-air updates. The company is still releasing significant Autopilot updates on two-year-old hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: Gregkeys and ggnykk