Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming changes to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A heated steering wheel retrofit kit before winter rolls around again sure would be nice.

Otherwise, I’d like to see rear cross-traffic alerts (the cameras and sensors should be more than capable) and as much visualization as possible from the cameras ala 360-degree mode. (Or at least 180 mode) Suspect this is going to be possible after HW3 launches so the images can be passed in full resolution.

Other “ask” would be for blind spot warning lights in the mirrors. I realize we’re software driven but those silly little lights are a great visual indicator for the driver.

(Let’s also note that all of the above are things I gave up trading in my Cadillac ... so nothing not in the realm of possibility.)

Agree about a heads up display, a lightly projected one on the windshield would be nice without ruining the beautiful minimalistic design of the dash, even if it just displayed the speed limit or critical warnings

As much as I want HUD I’m not sure they could do it without messing the dash up. Most systems I’ve seen are a physical screen embedded in the dash pointed up and reverse so reflected on windshield. I’m sure Tesla could come up with a better way or someone must be doing something with lasers or something to accomplish this but I haven’t seen it

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I think, overall the car is pretty good, but we need a TRUE performance/track variant of this car.
While the P3D is a good track car, better than a BMW M3, the true track variant should be quicker than the Model S.
The current performance model has two motors, and only one of them is truly gear towards performance. I think there should be a PP3D(Plaid Performance...) With dual performance motors with extra cooling capacity, adjustable air suspension, performance tires and brakes, an extra-lightweight trim with no non-essentials, possibly even cage reinforced?
Basically, a real track car to put the 911 GTs and Ferraris to shame without breaking the $100k mark.
Obviously, the tri-motor roadster is gonna lay the smack down on all opponents, but $200k+ (while a steal compared to anything competitive) is big ask for a small car.
Getting a true Plaid Performance Model 3 would seal the coffin on any ICE competition.

Attachments

• 20190502_182024.jpg
    20190502_182024.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 61
Agree about a heads up display, a lightly projected one on the windshield would be nice without ruining the beautiful minimalistic design of the dash, even if it just displayed the speed limit or critical warnings.

The user interface on the screen could look flashier, especially the graphics for the car as it's driving down the road, it looks pretty basic right now when it's not in overhead view. A good UI/graphics designer could work wonders. The screen could also be used to do more functional things, like show the side camera view when you turn on the blinker.

+1 on showing the side camera view when you hit the turn signal

Old style cruise control option for the times when the smart version doesn’t work

I would go for that update - optionally disable "adaptive" part of the cruise control, and phantom braking that goes with it.

Also:
  • Add 360 view camera that would help with parking in tight spots, and driving through winding garage ramps.
  • Fix the driver seat by adding beefier shoulder and thigh bolsters. See BMW ///M3 or 911 seats if inspiration is required.
  • Optional "traction control OFF" mode for those who know how to drive (instead of unplugging wheel speed sensors).
  • HUD for projecting sped, AP mode (engaged, available, n/a), and Nav directional arrows
    • If HUD is available, ability to turn OFF the main screen.

While the P3D is a good track car, better than a BMW M3, the true track variant should be quicker than the Model S.[...]
Getting a true Plaid Performance Model 3 would seal the coffin on any ICE competition.

While I would welcome the above idea of an even faster TM3, the most likely outcome will be further cannibalization of Model S sales. And that would be really bad for Tesla, since MS has higher margins than TM3, and Tesla can sure use some extra cash flow right about yesterday.

As much as I want HUD I’m not sure they could do it without messing the dash up. Most systems I’ve seen are a physical screen embedded in the dash pointed up and reverse so reflected on windshield.

Neah, those are cheap-o HUDs.
The quality high-end solutions (e.g.: ///M3) project straight onto the inside of the windshield, but that requires a more expensive polarized windshield to be installed.

a

Last edited:
The quality high-end solutions (e.g.: ///M3) project straight onto the inside of the windshield, but that requires a more expensive polarized windshield to be installed.

I don't know what you're talking about, M3 has a screen in dash that faces the windshield, unless there's a newer version. My BMWs and Audi's all had/have this type of setup.

See red circle, screen in dash.
bmw-m3-m4-brussels-1.jpg

Attachments

• bmw-m3-m4-brussels-5.jpg
    bmw-m3-m4-brussels-5.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
afadeev said:

I don't know what you're talking about, M3 has a screen in dash that faces the windshield, unless there's a newer version. My BMWs and Audi's all had/have this type of setup.
See red circle, screen in dash.

I know you don't, since I have ///M3 sitting in my garage next to the TM3P.

The red circle in your post is pointing to the HUD lens / projector.
More info here:
BMW Head Up Display: How It Works and What Information Can You See

The image is overplayed onto the windshield itslef, and you can adjust the height at which it is projected, and the contents (speed, nav, music selection, phone list, etc).
The image is displayed directly in your field of view as you are looking at the road ahead, no need to look down or sideways.

It's very slick:

04-bmw-7-series-top-6-technologies-head-up-display.jpg

I want it, and would extra for it, in my next Tesla!

a

P.S.: There is also a cheap-o and lame version of HUD that projects to a puny plastic pop-up screen in Mini's, and cheap bimmers.

More info here:

The image is overplayed onto the windshield itslef, and you can adjust the height at which it is projected, and the contents (speed, nav, music selection, phone list, etc).
The image is displayed directly in your field of view as you are looking at the road ahead, no need to look down or sideways.

It's very slick:

a

P.S.: There is also a cheap-o and lame version of HUD that projects to a puny plastic pop-up screen in Mini's, and cheap bimmers.

Very nice - would love to see Tesla offer that

Tesla is supposed to be working on voice control for more of the car's functions. Currently, it's pretty limited with just a few functions related to navigation, media playback, and cellphone calling. It would be very nice to be able to just say, "Tesla, front defroster heat on", for instance. Imagine if we really didn't have to touch the screen for any normally used driving, entertainment, or navigation functions.

More info here:

It's very slick:

a

Either way screen or projector it takes up dash space and as you can see in the pics it ruins the zen like dash and most cars hide it behind the steering console which we don’t have.

Either way screen or projector it takes up dash space and as you can see in the pics it ruins the zen like dash and most cars hide it behind the steering console which we don’t have.

Remember - form follows function.
If function (HUD) is in demand, it will be designed and installed with minimum intrusion.

Do you recall that we have gigantic front speakers mesh/grill sitting in front of the dash, going the entire width of the dashboard?
Hardly anyone notices it, because it is obscured from view with a padded dash edge.
You want to hide HID projector lens - I'm sure space will be found to accommodate it, in the most unobtrusive way imaginable.

Where there is a will, there is a way!

a