Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming changes to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding a third USB port to the center console. It’s desperately needed so that you can charge two phones and use the dash cam at the same time.

No need. Just get a USB splitter. I have two of them - they are split between data and power only. Allows me to use two for wireless charger, and two for SSDs.

I have one ssd for music, and the other for sentry.

Splitter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6

usb to shttps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM

Reactions: RBowen
No need. Just get a USB splitter. I have two of them - they are split between data and power only. Allows me to use two for wireless charger, and two for SSDs.

I have one ssd for music, and the other for sentry.

Splitter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6

usb to shttps://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M8YACM
I could be wrong, but I thought that using a splitter would slow down the charging speeds because you’re using the power from one USB port to charge 2 phones. Is that not true?

I could be wrong, but I thought that using a splitter would slow down the charging speeds because you’re using the power from one USB port to charge 2 phones. Is that not true?

You are wrong. I'm not splitting power from from one cable to two chargers, I'm splitting data and power from one cable. That means one cable powers a charger and a SSD. This also resolves the issue that came up in the last few firmware updates where wireless chargers didn't work unless you shielded them from the data stream.

BT is the past if you like quality sound.
Bluetooth audio gets compressed with Low Complexity Sub-band Coding (SBC), and quality is appreciably degraded. In the case of previously compressed MP3 files, they get double-compressed and double-degraded:

What's the situation with Bluetooth audio?

Did you actually read the article you linked? First off it was talking about the potential for an improved wireless tech, not hardwired. Second, I'll repost the full Conclusion here:

Historically, Bluetooth audio has rightly deserved some criticism, but the technology is much improved these days and can provide a very positive listening experience. Bluetooth might not satisfy the most picky of listeners, but, when setup correctly, it can offer an experience that is at least as good as the music streaming services and compressed file types that have come to dominate mainstream listening experiences. For many, this small trade-off in quality is going to be worth the convenience of wireless audio.

AptX and the new AptX HD format have improved the quality of wireless audio, but there’s still effort required on the consumer’s part to make sure that they’re picking out compatible hardware and making the most of the file types they have at their disposal. On the whole, the Bluetooth audio market is more complicated than it perhaps needs to be, and one person’s experience with wireless can be different to another’s, based on the hardware they’ve picked out and even file type they’re attempting to play over the system.

In some ways, Bluetooth is an imperfect solution to a complex audio problem, but it’s the best option we have and one that’s constantly improving. What about your own experiences with Bluetooth audio, are you a convert or have you had your share of negative experiences?​

Should I also bold stuff for you to help you out here?

Most likely upgrades to appear soonest:
  • Auto lift and close trunk
  • Heated steering wheel
  • 360 degree parking assistance
I've waited this long for the heated steering wheel, but after hearing Elon in the Autonomy day saying that soon we don't need to even touch the steering wheel, I became sure that they will never make it happen.
So I finally placed an order after 3 years of waiting.

• Love
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Did you actually read the article you linked? First off it was talking about the potential for an improved wireless tech, not hardwired. Second, I'll repost the full Conclusion here:

Historically, Bluetooth audio has rightly deserved some criticism, but the technology is much improved these days and can provide a very positive listening experience. Bluetooth might not satisfy the most picky of listeners, but, when setup correctly, it can offer an experience that is at least as good as the music streaming services and compressed file types that have come to dominate mainstream listening experiences. For many, this small trade-off in quality is going to be worth the convenience of wireless audio.

AptX and the new AptX HD format have improved the quality of wireless audio, but there’s still effort required on the consumer’s part to make sure that they’re picking out compatible hardware and making the most of the file types they have at their disposal. On the whole, the Bluetooth audio market is more complicated than it perhaps needs to be, and one person’s experience with wireless can be different to another’s, based on the hardware they’ve picked out and even file type they’re attempting to play over the system.

In some ways, Bluetooth is an imperfect solution to a complex audio problem, but it’s the best option we have and one that’s constantly improving. What about your own experiences with Bluetooth audio, are you a convert or have you had your share of negative experiences?​

Should I also bold stuff for you to help you out here?

<SammichLover>, glad you learned how to read. Too bad you don't know how to search, or think one step ahead.

Tesla doesn't support AptX.

From Undocumented | TeslaTap
Bluetooth – 3.0 + HS; Audio streaming with A2DP sink, A2DP source, AVRCP 1.4; Audio Profile A2DP includes support for standard SBC codec (highly compressed low-bit rate audio); Uses the Parrot FC6050 W chip.

Therefore, playing stored MP3 music files, or Spotify/Pandora over Bluetooth, is just asking for bad sounding compressed audio given these specs.

a
P.S.:
Also: Why doesn't Tesla's Bluetooth support AptX?

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover