Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2023.7.10 removed ALL my keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I installed update 2023.7.10. When I woke up this morning my app notifications said "update complete", "iPhone removed as a key", "Pixel removed as a key", "a key card removed as a key", "a key card removed as a key". All of my keys were removed. I can't open any doors, trunk or frunk. I can open the charge port with the app. I put in a service request and called roadside service. The guy I talked to just said "wow" when I explained what was going on. He said techs don't work on Sunday so I have to wait till tomorrow and call back. Really hope they can help me remotely or send a tech to my house.

Last night I installed update 2023.7.10. When I woke up this morning my app notifications said "update complete", "iPhone removed as a key", "Pixel removed as a key", "a key card removed as a key", "a key card removed as a key". All of my keys were removed. I can't open any doors, trunk or frunk. I can open the charge port with the app. I put in a service request and called roadside service. The guy I talked to just said "wow" when I explained what was going on. He said techs don't work on Sunday so I have to wait till tomorrow and call back. Really hope they can help me remotely or send a tech to my house.

I just tested by opening the Tesla Android app on my Chromebook and signing in. It shows:

1685294351662.png

When I click on controls, I have a button that worked to unlock the car:

1685294391811.png

Unfortunately it looks like there's no way to remote start, but at least you should be able to get into the car if you need something out of it.

I just tested by opening the Tesla Android app on my Chromebook and signing in. It shows:

View attachment 941964

When I click on controls, I have a button that worked to unlock the car:

View attachment 941965

Unfortunately it looks like there's no way to remote start, but at least you should be able to get into the car if you need something out of it.

Correcting myself... I had the Chromebook in landscape orientation, and the app really doesn't like that. I just didn't see the remote start icon.

From controls I was able to unlock and remote start the car once I turned the device into portrait mode and was able to see the icons.

I talked to the tech team and they were unable to remotely open the car. I was able to vent the windows from the app and had a local Sheriff open the door through the window. Tesla techs were still unable to do anything remotely with the car other than diagnostics. It is being towed to a repair facility, they think the firmware update pushed to the car was incompatible with something in the car and caused this to happen.

As long as the Tesla app still has access to your car (not as a phone key), you should be able to unlock and drive the car without any working keys. You no longer need a key card to set up your phone as a key, you should be able to do that via the app as well.

I talked to the tech team and they were unable to remotely open the car. I was able to vent the windows from the app and had a local Sheriff open the door through the window. Tesla techs were still unable to do anything remotely with the car other than diagnostics. It is being towed to a repair facility, they think the firmware update pushed to the car was incompatible with something in the car and caused this to happen.
Speculation it might be related to a recent app update that made it so keycards were no longer required to add a new key. But that shouldn't remove old key cards.
Tesla App Update 4.20.69 Release Notes

Removing the need for a card to add a key seems like a bad idea. I'm sure there are a few cases where this is desirable, but it seems like a potential security issue for everyone else.
You need a phone with the Tesla app logged in to your account to set it up as a phone key, so I don't see how that's less secure than using a key card. If someone steals your phone or hacks into your Tesla account from a different phone, you're already screwed.

Note that if you want to set up another key card as a key, you actually need to use one of your original key cards, you can't use the phone in that case. I discovered this when I added my wife's Model 3 key card as a key for my new Model S. Now I can use one key card for both cars.

• Informative
Reactions: rudythecar
Removing the need for a card to add a key seems like a bad idea. I'm sure there are a few cases where this is desirable, but it seems like a potential security issue for everyone else.
There's been people that lost their keycards or damaged them and was forced to go to an SC. This eliminates those service visits and addresses complaints about the process. There's not a whole lot of evidence this is a huge security issue.

You need a phone with the Tesla app logged in to your account to set it up as a phone key, so I don't see how that's less secure than using a key card. If someone steals your phone or hacks into your Tesla account from a different phone, you're already screwed.

Note that if you want to set up another key card as a key, you actually need to use one of your original key cards, you can't use the phone in that case. I discovered this when I added my wife's Model 3 key card as a key for my new Model S. Now I can use one key card for both cars.

ok. that seems reasonable.

lose your keys to a normal car and you'll have to take it to a dealer to get new ones programmed. Same inconvenience.
But given the car is so app and internet connected, and does a ton of things via OTA, people rightfully expected they shouldn't need to visit an SC just to program some new keys. This is especially true for people that live very far away from an SC.

I tried the "start" feature but it didn't allow me to put the car in gear. Even the Tesla tech couldn't send commands to the vehicle. The firmware update I received, which was for FSD beta only, really messed up the cars operation. It is being reprogrammed at the repair center. I'm kind of hoping they bricked it and I would get a new one, but I'm sure they will fix it.