Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update to the Supercharger network policies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a lot more in California, too.

$4/watt installed is a pretty good deal. Bids I've received recently are in the $4.3-$4.5/watt range. $4/watt would make an 8kW system cost around $32k. $1/watt is not something I've heard anyone achieve even through self-installation. Maybe @Topher can help us out with what we're missing.
Are you including the federal tax credit and any local power company rebates that apply?

I put in my second array before panel prices dropped to the current $1/watt or so. Even so, my cost for 1470 watts installed was $8142 before the federal tax credit and $5699 after tax credit ($3.88/watt). [Unless changed by the incoming administration — a distinct possibility — the 30% solar PV federal tax credit runs though 2019, I believe.] My installation would have been significantly less if I had qualified for a rebate from my local power co-op, but I had already used the one-per-household rebate on my previous installation.

And that cost was for more expensive pole-mounted panels; it would have been lower for roof-mounted panels due to less expensive hardware, but I didn't want holes in my roof and ground-mounted panels have significant advantages. I did my own trenching, post-hole digging, and concrete work but all the rest was done by the local solar company at $70/hr IIRC.

My tiny PV system is less cost-effective than the big ones that you mentioned, and that most people seem to favor, due to economies of scale. If you can't get way below $4/watt installed after tax credit and rebate (if any), you aren't trying very hard. An extreme example: my sister and brother-in-law put in a 4500 watt array in central Oregon, doing most of the work themselves, for an out-of-pocket cost of $1000, thanks to generous rebates from their state and utility company.

I believe that a large roof-mounted array would price out at significantly less than $4/watt with today's lower panel prices, the tax credit, and economies of scale. Why people need such large arrays and use such large amounts of electricity is another question. Before electric car and solar panels I was using about 4.8 kWh/day. It might be a bit higher than that today but not by much, except for fueling the Model S. I guess I am glad I live in a climate that doesn't need air conditioning! My 2170 watts of solar panels covers all of my household and EV fueling needs.

Reactions: KJD
Maybe @Topher can help us out with what we're missing.

Or maybe Topher will learn not to make posts with math without actually doing the math. Sorry. (and thanks for keeping me honest).

Let's start over. 100kWh of charging done once per week (giving 85kWh worth of driving), requires 14kWh per day of solar energy (or 5,214kWh per year). In Los Angeles they get 5.4 sun hours of sun per day, from PVwatts, for a 20° tilt (steeper would be better), facing due South, with 14% system losses, gives 5,539 kWh per year from a 3.5kW system. 3.5kW at $3 per peak watt installed (what I was personally quoted for Maine this past Fall), gives $10,500 total cost. Or 5 years of 'prepaid fuel' plus 20 years of 'free fuel'.

So, two separate mistakes, got pretty close.:oops: Anyway, mistakes aside, it still seems like an awesome deal for anyone who can net-meter. It is, of course, a much better deal if you have TOU billing. But even ignoring the grid and adding a battery pack is still 7 years or so of 'prepaid fuel' and 18 years of 'free fuel'.

If you got a solar quote longer ago than Fall, call back and get a new one. Prices are dropping like a rock. Otherwise, I have no idea why it would be cheaper in Maine than Florida or California.

Thank you kindly,

Topher

Tesla should add the car's Supercharger Status to the charging screen in-vehicle. I.e., display how many kWh remain "free", current account status/outstanding charges or display "Unlimited" or similar if that's the case.

This way a car being bought or sold can quickly be identified by the buyer as having unlimited supercharging or not. Select the "bolt" on screen and see the status.

I think this would accommodate the case where 2 weeks worth of 2017 models will have unlimited supercharging or not as well as the case of a resold CPO not having it (if that's the route they choose to go) whereas a private or third party sale does.

Another update for CPO cars Tesla’s Certified Pre-Owned vehicles still have unlimited free Supercharging, says Tesla President

President of Sales, Jon McNeill, confirmed the information on Twitter today. He confirmed that “all Tesla's purchased with Supercharging for life carry that benefit for the life of the car”:

upload_2017-1-9_20-13-31.png

Reactions: Falkirk and KJD