Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the Y dose. Just watched a video on how to dissemble my car, add key chain loops and reassemble to make it take less cumbersome to take apart in the future.
Interesting, so they do. Given the instructions say to "use a fingernail or small flat bladed tool" to take off a cover that is down inside the map pocket under a foam insert, I'd still argue these are basically non-existent during an emergency even if you know of their presence.

What a hypocrisy! So, the Senators can have an entire hearing with lobbyists based on the premise the AP was involved in the Texas crash, but Tesla is not allowed to dispel the misinformation! Tesla, sue 'em all!

"During the Tuesday government hearing, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., criticized Tesla and Musk for speaking about the crash while federal investigations are still underway.
"I was very disappointed that Tesla through its CEO took to Twitter to downplay the involvement of the company’s advanced driver assistance system before both the NTSB and NTHSA have completed their ongoing investigation into the deadly accident,” he said."

I have never once found the manual for a rental car in the vehicle anywhere, and Tesla has never made me watch a video when they gave me a Model S loaner when my Model 3 was in for service, nor did they show me this video when I bought any of my 4 Teslas. When I got my first Tesla the manual wasn't even up to date on the SW in the car for about a year.
Can you show me the Tesla training video that explains the limits of Autopilot? Even Tesla doesn't make you accept the AP disclaimer every drive- so once one spouse accepts it, the other spouse never sees it nor any future operator.
Geez, you are John Cleese in the Argument Clinic.

What a hypocrisy! So, the Senators can have an entire hearing with lobbyists based on the premise the AP was involved in the Texas crash, but Tesla is not allowed to dispel the misinformation! Tesla, sue 'em all!

"During the Tuesday government hearing, Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., criticized Tesla and Musk for speaking about the crash while federal investigations are still underway.
"I was very disappointed that Tesla through its CEO took to Twitter to downplay the involvement of the company’s advanced driver assistance system before both the NTSB and NTHSA have completed their ongoing investigation into the deadly accident,” he said."
Typical politician. They think they are experts at everything. Still can't run the country.

Reactions: DanCar and mrElbe

Senator... if you say stupid things or make stupid claims and you aim them at smart people, sooner or later you are going to have to eat crow. Might as well start now, else I suspect when this is all over, there may not be enough crow to go around! And if you want to stuff a sock in Elon Musk's mouth, you'd better make it illegal for him to talk, otherwise I don't think he's going to be afraid to speak.

If someone made absolutely baseless statements about a product from my company with zero proof or evidence to back up those statements, I would have no problem at all sharing evidence to the contrary!

Mike

In a perfect world we might have had this statement instead-
"I was very disappointed that Constable xxx (whatever his name was) up-played the involvement of Tesla’s advanced driver assistance system before both the NTSB and NTHSA have completed their ongoing investigation into the deadly accident,”

Then Elon probably would not have made the statement he was so 'disappointed' about.....

I’m sure that the senator was disappointed that the additional information Elon released made the senator look like a bafoon. How embarrassing.

TACC + Autosteer = Autopilot
TACC on its own ≠ Autopilot

So, if one wants to call TACC an “Autopilot feature”, I guess they can. (Although I wouldn’t, since adaptive cruise control is a common stand-alone feature.)
But to say TACC is Autopilot, or to say that anytime someone uses TACC that “Autopilot is involved” (which is what Electrek said), I think that’s just plain false.

(BTW, the Electrek article still hasn't been updated, surprisingly.)

It's not false.

AP, as you say, consists of both of those features. You don't have to have both of them on together to say the car was "using Autopilot". Look at Tesla's website.

Reactions: BooMan
It's not false.

AP, as you say, consists of both of those features. You don't have to have both of them on together to say the car was "using Autopilot". Look at Tesla's website.

That's a new one to me. When I first got my Model 3, I was able to use TACC without Autopilot being enabled: I hadn't turned on Autopilot and agreed to the terms yet. Do you have a link to where on the Tesla website it says that TACC alone is considered AP?

Mike

That's a new one to me. When I first got my Model 3, I was able to use TACC without Autopilot being enabled: I hadn't turned on Autopilot and agreed to the terms yet. Do you have a link to where on the Tesla website it says that TACC alone is considered AP?

Mike

Again, we're arguing semantics. Why does it matter that you have to turn on the autopilot beta or not? Tesla clearly labels TACC as part of Autopilot regardless

Here's the website, which to me is somewhat confusing, as it blurs the line between basic AP and FSD. It's clearly labeled as an "Autopilot Convenience Feature". And when you go to the TACC section, it's even called a "beta feature" just like the rest of them.

AP2.jpg

But here's the manual. Under the Autopilot section:

ap1.jpg

This seems pretty clear to me:

AP3.jpg

Reactions: BooMan
...Do you read the manual before operating each and every one?

In a parking lot, I saw a young woman distressed that she was unable to open her car, as the fob battery was dead. I flipped the release switch on the back of the fob and slid out the integrated key for her.

She looked at me like I was Criss Angel.

This is just ridiculous.

Yea, Matt McFarland is a dingbat that always trying to come across as he knows what he is talking about. Several of his statements are incorrect and why is he tossing in how the model 3 works when the guys weren't driving a model 3. This is why it is called CNN (Crappy News Network) and I never watch the channel.

Reactions: Sandor and alexgr
Again, we're arguing semantics. Why does it matter that you have to turn on the autopilot beta or not? Tesla clearly labels TACC as part of Autopilot regardless

Here's the website, which to me is somewhat confusing, as it blurs the line between basic AP and FSD. It's clearly labeled as an "Autopilot Convenience Feature". And when you go to the TACC section, it's even called a "beta feature" just like the rest of them.
It's part of Autopilot, but there is an importance distinction in that TACC doesn't steer the car, so you can't use it to ghost ride around a corner.

Another important distinction is that adaptive cruise control is available on a large proportion of new vehicles sold, including all new Toyotas, apart from the cheapest ones, and it has been available on many vehicles for many years.

An ethical headline writer would have written "Cruise Control Was Enabled" or "Adaptive Cruise Control Was Enabled".
But ethical headline writer is an oxymoron.

An ethical headline writer would have written "Cruise Control Was Enabled" or "Adaptive Cruise Control Was Enabled".
But ethical headline writer is an oxymoron.
I've been under the impression TACC hasn't been confirmed to be on, but a couple of articles interpreted the call to say that. Also, for what it's worth, headline writers are usually the editors, so it's not always the article writer's fault.

Reactions: WattPwr