Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many might remember this dialect quiz from a few years back and this may be a difference in regional terminology, but does everyone here actually call that a culvert? Wherever I've lived, that would be called a storm drain in the street gutter. A culvert (for me) is the actual tunnel or a channel which allows water to travel under a road. In most instances, cars wouldn't be able to hit a culvert since the culvert would be under a road, not alongside it. For sanity's sake, I Googled images for "culvert" and all of them match my understanding of tunnels under roads and none resembled this "storm drain".
I was just calling it a culvert because that's what the NTSB report called it. But you're right, I would normally call that a storm drain.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Many might remember this dialect quiz from a few years back and this may be a difference in regional terminology, but does everyone here actually call that a culvert? Wherever I've lived, that would be called a storm drain in the street gutter. A culvert (for me) is the actual tunnel or a channel which allows water to travel under a road. In most instances, cars wouldn't be able to hit a culvert since the culvert would be under a road, not alongside it. For sanity's sake, I Googled images for "culvert" and all of them match my understanding of tunnels under roads and none resembled this "storm drain".
Consumer Reports referred to it as a culvert in their article, not sure who else did but don’t think they were the only ones, but yes that’s not a photo of what I think of as a culvert. Storm drain more like it where I’m at. Although I would wonder if the water there drains into a storm drain or instead into that nearby pond, in that case maybe I can see the term used here. We have retention ponds for flooding in neighborhoods here that direct excess water into the pond instead of towards houses and guess those drains could be called culverts. But yeah I’m use to watching Gold Rush and the guys laying huge tunnel pipes they cover with dirt so they can cross river flows while not diverting the water.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
You keep thinking that. But you're not correct.

Look, I get what you're saying. When I drive these roads, I see when the car sees the seam and projects it on the screen. But it flickers. And it never is steady enough for the system to ever give you the grey steering wheel. It's just not.

Maybe it works on the roads where you live. But not here.

he hasn’t posted a video yet....

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
he hasn’t posted a video yet....
Amazon hasn't yet delivered the COVID-free friend he ordered.

(EDIT: including this screen grab which I though was upthread but can't find now. )
The left front tire track seems to go over the storm drain. At the right speed (not too fast) that could damage the battery enough for a fire. I don't know what that is between the tire tracks.

1620835373090.png

Last edited:
That Tesla backseat driver (Param Sharma) in the Bay Area was arrested.

Strap him to the next Starship test article. Param to the moon!

(EDIT: including this screen grab which I though was upthread but can't find now. )
The left front tire track seems to go over the storm drain. At the right speed (not too fast) that could damage the battery enough for a fire. I don't know what that is between the tire tracks.

View attachment 661596
So I would call that a raised manhole, not a storm drain. The storm drain we were talking about above is actually just out of view in this picture (the photographer is almost standing on it). See here:
1620840505216.png

The only reason I called it a culvert is because the NTSB used that term:
"The car leaves and travels about 550 feet before departing the road on a curve, driving over the curb, and hitting a drainage culvert, a raised manhole, and a tree.

You keep thinking that. But you're not correct.

Look, I get what you're saying. When I drive these roads, I see when the car sees the seam and projects it on the screen. But it flickers. And it never is steady enough for the system to ever give you the grey steering wheel. It's just not.

Maybe it works on the roads where you live. But not here.

Do you have the seam as clear as in that photo in the roads you drive ? Any photos ?

Remember NN just sees the road - doesn't care whether it is in your neighborhood in TX or in my place in WA. Thats the whole point of Tesla NN - otherwise it would be like Waymo.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
A safety system is meant to prevent ACCIDENTAL issues....Not PURPOSELY STUPID issues.
While I mostly agree with that statement, I did spend some time designing smart toys in the past. We DID design safety systems to prevent purposely stupid issues like children purposely sticking things in their mouth and choking on them. And even older people with mental capacity problems do stupid things. But yes, most systems are to prevent accidental issues. Just not a blanket statement that applies to all designs. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: T-Mom and FlyF4
While I mostly agree with that statement, I did spend some time designing smart toys in the past. We DID design safety systems to prevent purposely stupid issues like children purposely sticking things in their mouth and choking on them. And even older people with mental capacity problems do stupid things. But yes, most systems are to prevent accidental issues. Just not a blanket statement that applies to all designs. ;)
Mentally incapable people to me still fall into the same category as accidental. Know your users. Especially for toys specifically designed for those users.

An older teen or a competent adult capable of driving a car can get around those safety measures.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom and FlyF4
Mentally incapable people to me still fall into the same category as accidental. Know your users. Especially for toys specifically designed for those users.

An older teen or a competent adult capable of driving a car can get around those safety measures.
I see you want to not be wrong with a blanket statement, but didn't work with me. You aren't familiar with design rules for safety. I am by having done it for decades. Some times we are all wrong. ;) Admit it.

Reactions: FlyF4

View attachment 661596
Could those be drag marks from removing the car? If not, where are the marks in the grass from removing the car?