Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated model 3s feeding in to circulation ETA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been watching the forums for a while now, and a dilemma I have. There's some extremely passionate and informative folks on these forums, and I just wanted to see how folks felt. I'm certain as anything, that I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question floating about in ones head if recently ordered a new Tesla for early 2022.

Background here is that most of the summer I have been on the fence with a M3 and after test driving one, it's pretty much a given that being on the fence was no longer an option ;)

The stars aligned for me in March, I couldn't order sooner as redundancies were flying around, and I needed to know 2022 would start with me still in employment. IT DID, and job is safe. So back in mid NOV I ordered as soon as the Model 3 Long Range said March on the estimated delivery. Crikey WHO KNEW Tesla would call me 2 weeks later, and say there's a car meeting my specification if I wanted it. It was a surprise, shock, delightful pleasure and heartbreak at exactly the same time. Had a 25 min chat with the chappy from Tesla, and since I was no way prepped, no charge point, no Oct GO, no smart meter, I had to just own up and say, I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't a problem, they could allocate the car to another customer, and put my order on hold until mid Feb. Which they have done. Someone out there was lucky enough to get an early Christmas surprise with a call from Tesla I think lol.

Anyway... to cut my rambling, the latest news flowing out of Giga Shanghai and around the interwebz is that the updates for 2022 include things like the laminate rear glass panel, the updated AMD infotainment, lithium 12v battery etc etc etc. These are all lovely bonus updates that are too good to ignore. I called the good folks at Tesla, to speak shop, and to see if and when my order releases in mid Feb, would my new vehicle include these updates. The conclusion of the call was that it's 50/50. Impossible to know. What I DO KNOW, inside info, is that a carrier vessel is due in around mid February, and my car most likely will be on that shipment if I go ahead.

The quandary:

If I'm going to finally get my M3LR in March, every molecule in my psyche is saying that an updated 2022 revision is the way to go. The problem I have it's early enough to clip the last of the pre updated stock, but late enough to clip the early shipments of the new updated version.

The questions:

What are the reasonable chances of picking up the updated M3 in that delivery? As I'm on order hold anyway, do you think it's better to opt out of that mid Feb shipment, and ask for the NEXT which would be Q2 (April onwards)? Should I keep an eye on people getting M3LR deliveries and see what's rolling off the ships? That's the main question, when do people feel / think the new cars will be creeping in to the Tesla collection points?

Compared to what I drive now (old 90s Vauxhall), ANY Tesla feels like an overdose of technological advances that in any light are insane. So I know even the 2021 refresh is a ridiculous car. My OCD is the issue, and had this been a couple of months ago wouldn't have given a second thought, but since the new M3 is right on us NOW, and an inch from my face I can't help to wait a little longer for this one instead.

Sorry this is a long wafflepost. Needed to get it into the open. It's causing me to ceiling gaze when I should be sleeping :rolleyes:o_O:oops:

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Been watching the forums for a while now, and a dilemma I have. There's some extremely passionate and informative folks on these forums, and I just wanted to see how folks felt. I'm certain as anything, that I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question floating about in ones head if recently ordered a new Tesla for early 2022.

Background here is that most of the summer I have been on the fence with a M3 and after test driving one, it's pretty much a given that being on the fence was no longer an option ;)

The stars aligned for me in March, I couldn't order sooner as redundancies were flying around, and I needed to know 2022 would start with me still in employment. IT DID, and job is safe. So back in mid NOV I ordered as soon as the Model 3 Long Range said March on the estimated delivery. Crikey WHO KNEW Tesla would call me 2 weeks later, and say there's a car meeting my specification if I wanted it. It was a surprise, shock, delightful pleasure and heartbreak at exactly the same time. Had a 25 min chat with the chappy from Tesla, and since I was no way prepped, no charge point, no Oct GO, no smart meter, I had to just own up and say, I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't a problem, they could allocate the car to another customer, and put my order on hold until mid Feb. Which they have done. Someone out there was lucky enough to get an early Christmas surprise with a call from Tesla I think lol.

Anyway... to cut my rambling, the latest news flowing out of Giga Shanghai and around the interwebz is that the updates for 2022 include things like the laminate rear glass panel, the updated AMD infotainment, lithium 12v battery etc etc etc. These are all lovely bonus updates that are too good to ignore. I called the good folks at Tesla, to speak shop, and to see if and when my order releases in mid Feb, would my new vehicle include these updates. The conclusion of the call was that it's 50/50. Impossible to know. What I DO KNOW, inside info, is that a carrier vessel is due in around mid February, and my car most likely will be on that shipment if I go ahead.

The quandary:

If I'm going to finally get my M3LR in March, every molecule in my psyche is saying that an updated 2022 revision is the way to go. The problem I have it's early enough to clip the last of the pre updated stock, but late enough to clip the early shipments of the new updated version.

The questions:

What are the reasonable chances of picking up the updated M3 in that delivery? As I'm on order hold anyway, do you think it's better to opt out of that mid Feb shipment, and ask for the NEXT which would be Q2 (April onwards)? Should I keep an eye on people getting M3LR deliveries and see what's rolling off the ships? That's the main question, when do people feel / think the new cars will be creeping in to the Tesla collection points?

Compared to what I drive now (old 90s Vauxhall), ANY Tesla feels like an overdose of technological advances that in any light are insane. So I know even the 2021 refresh is a ridiculous car. My OCD is the issue, and had this been a couple of months ago wouldn't have given a second thought, but since the new M3 is right on us NOW, and an inch from my face I can't help to wait a little longer for this one instead.

Sorry this is a long wafflepost. Needed to get it into the open. It's causing me to ceiling gaze when I should be sleeping :rolleyes:o_O:oops:
My first thoughts are:-
With any technology there is almost always something more advanced/“better” round the corner.
Do you want a Tesla or do you just want to look at what’s coming from Tesla next?
At some point you have to decide, do I buy what’s on sale now or do I wait (for who know how long) sitting on the fence for what might be vapourware?
Go for what you can get now and it’s a bonus if it has the goodies you desire, but don’t get all green with envy if it doesn’t
Don’t forget, the things you’ve mentioned don’t exist on cars available NOW who knows what the future holds in that respect
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush where I come from.
Tesla operate in an unorthodox manner, once they have your money the availabilty of accurate reliable information ceases to exist, tbh, it’s not much better before they have your money😡
Balance all this whilst considering whilst you are prevaricating, you are without a Tesla (with or without the bits you wish/hope it MIGHT have.
Ultimately it’s a gamble, throw the dice and accept the result.
“He who hesitates is lost”
How long are you prepared to hesitate?

Yup, worth remembering that Tesla giveth and Tesla taketh away.

Currently cars are turning up with missing USB ports and Tesla silently changed the Model 3 manual to point out that the ports you DO get might not do data. I don't know if the passenger lumbar thing has been resolved or whether that's a semi-permanent change.

All things considered if I were in a position to wait I would - the Ryzen MCU3 looks to be considerably faster than the Atom based one. That being said, I think you'd only really feel that if you were spending quite a bit of time in the browser, Netflix, etc. I don't, so it's not something that is on my radar, although I will be keeping an eye on possible retrofits and the costs therein.

Beyond that, you could take delivery in April with all the current latest stuff and find out that Berlin are going to be making Model 3s in a brand new colour, with a range boost, and XYZ. The car is always being refined and there is never really a perfect time to buy.

If you are on hold until mid Feb then you should get a vehicle at the end of March but could possibly be as late as May. It would be the same as if you placed a new order mid-Feb. Don’t think you will be placed at the top of the queue when you come off hold. But that would allow you to understand what specs are being delivered in Feb before accepting a new delivery date.

First report of the larger LR battery on here today for a UK vehicle - that is the update worth stalling for rather than laminated rear windows or a lithium 12v battery. What we don’t know is whether all new vehicles will come with it now or there will still be a mixture of old and new. I suspect the latter given Tesla hasn’t updated the website.

The wise black sphere has answered your question!

ball.jpg

Crap, that was a waste of £2.99 (import from China I'm afraid, fall apart after first use)

Noooo not the car, the sphere. Sorry

@Snowy77 The same question is being discussed on the UK Orders to Delivery General Discussion thread.
My answer for what its worth is here together with comment from a number of other contributors.
Thanks HenryT and everyone for the inputs. From what I have heard and read, here and other places. There's an apparent 50/50 split. One of the most resonant posts was simply : If you will be using the screen for entertainment purposes whilst either waiting for charging OR general recreational use, and you have not yet ordered or have your order on hold, then you may as well exercise patience and wait for the updates to arrive on shore.

I'm still on the wire. Whatever car delivered is going to be legendary in any shape of the definition. The only immediate thing that can be done is see what is being delivered to identify if a mid-feb shipment does indeed contain the 2022 modifications from Shanghai. Even the folks at Tesla are 50/50, and cannot say. I am however in contact with them regularly, and since we live within stones throw from Dartford I'll try to stay well informed.

My ultimate rationale was that these new additions are worth a little extra wait. The laminated glass can only help, the lithium replacement for the car battery can only help and the new Ryzen should future proof any near future updates on infotainment, not to mention other things.

At the end of the day I'm currently driving a car that doesn't even have power steering lol. The problem is I am a tech person. Anyone else in the immediate family wouldn't know or care if they were sold a 2018 car with a 22 plate, they say IT'S A TESLA :D

Sometimes I do wonder if not over researching things is the best thing. Especially when combined with an obsessive personality!

You watch, I'll change my mind in Feb... 2021 or 2022 model. IT'S A TESLA, to quote the mrs!

Cheers for all the replies guys. I envy each one of you already driving one of these iconic vehicles.

The Ryzen MCU will definitely make everything snappier, including the non-entertainment stuff, and it will an expensive retrofit (I'd expect £1200+) assuming it is even possible. If I were buying now and could wait to confirm cars are turning up with it now, I would...

...but I'm a bit weird like that, even though I'd barely benefit from it as I don't often if ever actually sit in the car unless I'm driving it I would still like to be able to know that I have the latest, fastest MCU in there. If it were several months away then I'd not wait, but it does seem that right now we're on the verge of it arriving here, so ordering a car now and NOT getting it would be annoying.

The lithium battery - meh, it's better but the car does recharge the 12v when it needs to. It's a net positive change to the car, but I wouldn't lose sleep over not having it.

Dual pane windows on the rear? Cars are turning up in the States without it (but with the Ryzen MCU/lithium battery) so I wouldn't assume that it would naturally come with the first deliveries. Tesla have been known to Frankenstein cars while they're exhausting the parts bins.

On the flip side of the above there's no reason to assume there won't be other changes later in the year, and beyond. At some point you have to make peace with that.

I'm thinking this exact question.. with the trade in prices even from tesla being very high at the moment, I'm tempted to take advantage of that and upgrade or even get the Y (test drive will determine that decision). But if I do that I want the new MCU, Lithium battery etc. so holding off until those are confirmed to be shipping.

I'll change my mind in Feb... 2021 or 2022 model.
Just to be clear, there is no 2021 or 2022 model. There are vehicles of varying specification, built at a certain point in time.

To date we are seeing vehicles physically built in 2021 with AMD processors but not laminated rear glass in Australia. Lithium aux batteries but no AMD processor in the US etc. etc.

I'd say for the next quarter it will be lucky dip as to what 'new' components you will get, and if a vehicle is delivered with a new component then a week later another vehicle may be delivered using the old part again.

Reactions: Durzel
Just to be clear, there is no 2021 or 2022 model. There are vehicles of varying specification, built at a certain point in time.

To date we are seeing vehicles physically built in 2021 with AMD processors but not laminated rear glass in Australia. Lithium aux batteries but no AMD processor in the US etc. etc.

I'd say for the next quarter it will be lucky dip as to what 'new' components you will get, and if a vehicle is delivered with a new component then a week later another vehicle may be delivered using the old part again.
For sure I would expect Q1 to be as you've described, including MIC cars (they have parts to use up too).

I think it's one of those... "you've waited this long already".. moments. Any... second.... now..... and the new updates will land ashore. If it were minor cosmetic changes, it would be a no brainer, I'd just roll the dice and see what comes. But the GPU / MCU update is no insignificance. Already questions flying about on other forums if it's possible to queue up for retrofits for the AMD.

I have kids, and from what I hear the AMD MCU supports wireless controllers. I can imagine the kids camping trips changing forever :D Or should I say OUR camping trips changing forever having 'Aunt Tesla' helping with babysitting whilst us Adults enjoy the boring fresh air and lack of technological distractions (which is complete irony having brought a Tesla along). I'm already dreaming.

Interesting about the laminated glass though, some good points about mixed and matched versions. I'll keep on this like glue and watch over the Tesla depot to see what's coming through. I'll relay any info if I get any.

If you want even more Osborne effect to go with what you've already got..

If you want even more Osborne effect to go with what you've already got..

Haha brilliant!

A recent update implemented on the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y’s online Owner’s Manual has hinted at what could very well be an upcoming upgrade for the two mass-market vehicles. With the update, the Climate Control section of the Model 3 and Model Y manuals now feature references to ventilated seats.

Absolutely an update to watch for if you think that passenger fart didn't come from the 'emissions' toybox ;-)