Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's my impression. Their prototype likely can do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds (without roll out) assuming Autocar doesn't use roll out (it's in the UK so most likely not), but so far no evidence the actual production model can do so. I wonder if Elon did have an F1 on hand to compare with P85D during development.

Mclaren doesn't want you to test it, and no Mclaren owner wants you to test their car, because you'd probably destroy a half million dollar powertrain in doing so. Which brings me to my next point, this debate about rollout vs no rollout is inane. All standing starts for ICE cars are incredibly abusive and not something you can do almost anywhere. You _should_ be looking at 5-60 times to remove "launching" from the picture. That will add a full second to almost any ICE car's 60 time. If you had a turbocharged engine, add even more time.

Mclaren doesn't want you to test it, and no Mclaren owner wants you to test their car, because you'd probably destroy a half million dollar powertrain in doing so. Which brings me to my next point, this debate about rollout vs no rollout is inane. All standing starts for ICE cars are incredibly abusive and not something you can do almost anywhere. You _should_ be looking at 5-60 times to remove "launching" from the picture. That will add a full second to almost any ICE car's 60 time. If you had a turbocharged engine, add even more time.
Top Gear managed this a few years ago in Dubai or similar:) F1 vs Veyron.. And the F1 killed the veyron from a standstill when driven by the stig. Took awhile before the HP-advantage of the Veyron came into play.

So dont discount the validity of the F1-numbers so quickly as it clearly held its won against the Veyron!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen every top gear ever produced. The real question is did you? Count how much edits there are in a single race. Go ahead.
I give up... You wrote noone would let anyone test these cars and that it would destroy the driverrain. I showed you an example of such a test even vs another hypercar...

If you have seen all top gear episodes you know that JC is well known for slinging negative remarks about the F1 at every opporunity he gets and the opposite about the veyron, but you just put your tinfoil hat on and simply dismiss the video showing the F1 pull away from the veyron. I assume they hired David Copperfield as well to make it look like the F1 was ahead using smoke and mirrors.....

Thank you to user SIGX on the Norwegian forum for finding this interview - HP according to Elon Musk. Here he has every chance to correct any misunderstanding. Please look from 2:00

Thank you to user SIGX on the Norwegian forum for finding this interview - HP according to Elon Musk. Here he has every chance to correct any misunderstanding. Please look from 2:00

This isn't the only place he confirms the 691 HP number, although i'm having trouble pinpointing them currently.

This isn't the only place he confirms the 691 HP number, although i'm having trouble pinpointing them currently.
Que the "he didnt really mean that", "you cant rely on the words of the CEO", "its in australian 60minutes so the horespowers run the opposite way down the drain" etc etc type excuses to come from the old faithful bunch of TSLA-holders:)

I'm pretty sure this was already posted. Isn't this after they released ludicrous and someone noted that Tesla didn't quote the new 762hp motor power number? That means ludicrous may very well make 691hp, but doesn't really address the point of what happened before ludicrous.

I'm pretty sure this was already posted. Isn't this after they released ludicrous and someone noted that Tesla didn't quote the new 762hp motor power number? That means ludicrous may very well make 691hp, but doesn't really address the point of what happened before ludicrous.

The interview was taped before Ludicrous, otherwise he would've said 3.0 seconds for 0-100.

The interview was taped before Ludicrous, otherwise he would've said 3.0 seconds for 0-100.
That may well be true, but the interview likely was taped when Ludicrous was under development, so while Elon will not "correct" any numbers in regards to the car (he wouldn't want to spill the beans), repeating the 691hp would be perfectly fine knowing the Ludicrous would achieve it (ignoring the whole "motor power" thing).

Of course the caveat is that we don't know yet if Ludicrous gets 691hp (but will likely get sufficiently close).

Que the "he didnt really mean that", "you cant rely on the words of the CEO", "its in australian 60minutes so the horespowers run the opposite way down the drain" etc etc type excuses to come from the old faithful bunch of TSLA-holders:)

That may well be true, but the interview likely was taped when Ludicrous was under development, so while Elon will not "correct" any numbers in regards to the car (he wouldn't want to spill the beans), repeating the 691hp would be perfectly fine knowing the Ludicrous would achieve it (ignoring the whole "motor power" thing).

Of course the caveat is that we don't know yet if Ludicrous gets 691hp (but will likely get sufficiently close).

And so it begins.

A 5000 lb car can't hit a 1/4 mile mark in 10.9 seconds without at least 750 hp.

And so it begins.
Hehehe of course. The fact that Elon Musk quotes the exact HP and 0-60-numbers for the current P85D has no impact(none of the numbers are reflected in any P90DL-material to my knowledge). The other fact that at 8minutes into that video the presenter drives a P85D, shows insane-mode and repeats the 691hp statement has no impact either. Musk was of course reffering to a future upgrade that was not publically known when making the interview where the reporter was discussing the P85D...

Makes "perfect sense":rolleyes: the alternative that Musk was indeed referring to the P85D is just ludicrous or what? Why would he actually be answering about the car actually avaliable and driven by the reporter?...

A 5000 lb car can't hit a 1/4 mile mark in 10.9 seconds without at least 750 hp.
I don't want to speculate too much based on 1/4 mile. I think the rest of this thread already shows that relying too much on that doesn't really tell the power. People aren't upset over the performance (which is pretty much as promised, outside of perhaps the whole European issue with rollout), they are upset over the number.

- - - Updated - - -

Hehehe of course. The fact that Elon Musk quotes the exact HP and 0-60-numbers for the current P85D has no impact(none of the numbers are reflected in any P90DL-material to my knowledge). The other fact that at 8minutes into that video the presenter drives a P85D, shows insane-mode and repeats the 691hp statement has no impact either. Musk was of course reffering to a future upgrade that was not publically known when making the interview where the reporter was discussing the P85D...

Makes "perfect sense":rolleyes: the alternative that Musk was indeed referring to the P85D is just ludicrous or what? Why would he actually be answering about the car actually avaliable and driven by the reporter?...
Admittedly I did not watch the video, I was going by what you guys are saying. Watching the segment, the numbers he quotes matches neither the P85D nor the Ludicrous mode. He said 0-100kph in 3.1, Tesla advertises 3.3. Ludicrous is advertised at 3.0. So the number he quotes is closer to Ludicrous than not Ludicrous.
http://my.teslamotors.com/en_AU/models/design

We shall see what the P85D upgraded to Ludicrous gets vs a P90D with Ludicrous from factory. It may very well turn out the P85D L is 0-100kph in 3.1 vs 0-100kph in 3.0 for a P90D L.

Admittedly I did not watch the video, I was going by what you guys are saying. Watching the segment, the numbers he quotes doesn't match either the P85D nor the Ludicrous mode. He said 0-100kph in 3.1, Tesla advertises 3.3. Ludicrous is advertised at 3.0. So the number he quotes is closer to Ludicrous than not Ludicrous.
http://my.teslamotors.com/en_AU/models/design

We shall see what the P85D upgraded to Ludicrous gets vs a P90D with Ludicrous from factory. It may very well turn out the P85D L is 0-100kph in 3.1 vs 0-100kph in 3.0 for a P90D L.

I guess he was thinking of the 0-60 mph time and forgot to account for the extra 3.5 km when talking about 0-100 km/h.

I guess he was thinking of the 0-60 mph time and forgot to account for the extra 3.5 km when talking about 0-100 km/h.
Of course he was. So used to say the 0-60numbers that he repeated it for 0-100kph as well. Matches perfectly to the 0-60mph times of the P85D and not matching any other numbers ever presented for any model then or now.

I joining this thread relatively late but it's one if the factors have ordered a 90D not a P85/90D
The tesla website does seem inconsistent... The total power for the 85D does not equal the sum of its two motors. On the P85D they don't offer the equivalent data. I don't see why not.

image.jpg

Mods: my first post but hopefully ok with you.