Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Updates Restricted"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a mobile tech out recently; after he was done I asked him if he could update my software as I was still on v9.0 32.2.2. He was surprised I was still on that version. He checked and said that the car is in "updates restricted" mode. He didn't know what that meant - but recommended I take it into service and let them check it out.

Anyone heard of such a limitation?

I've only gotten 1 update since June with a May '19 LR RWD.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I had a mobile tech out recently; after he was done I asked him if he could update my software as I was still on v9.0 32.2.2. He was surprised I was still on that version. He checked and said that the car is in "updates restricted" mode. He didn't know what that meant - but recommended I take it into service and let them check it out.

Anyone heard of such a limitation?

I've only gotten 1 update since June with a May '19 LR RWD.

Tesla has restricted a batch of cars to monitor their batteries.

some Model 3's had an issue with the "SD card" that needed to be reformatted before firmware could be installed (updated)...
will be interested in what ultimately is causing your issue

Known issue with Model 3 SD Card. : teslamotors
We had this issue on our X. If an update fails too many times, Tesla apparently flags that car so it stops trying that could have been it.

Reactions: KenC
So my car had a fault or issued a fault in a "power controller" and thus was put on "restricted updates". SA stated they did a hard reboot and verified all was well and then did the updates. They must have monitored something for a while as they had it charging for a time after the updates completed.

So I am updated to 36.2.1 (v10.1) now and see safety cones in the display as I pass by them.

Tesla should have alerted me to the issue and had me come in - but no, Tesla just let it fall through the cracks.

Went to the SC. They checked my VIN and said TESLA had been trying to send the update since the 8th, but the car had not returned a handshake over WiFi. He said they would resend it over the LTE. So far, nothing.

So, aside from looking them in the eye, having a grip like Chuck Norris after 5 cups of bad coffee and trying to talk like Sam Elliott, what is necessary to pull off this handshake?