TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upgrade 70kWh to 75kWh: $3250???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by arosenbe, Aug 1, 2016.

1. arosenbe

arosenbe Member

I have a Model S70 on order for late October delivery. I asked my DS what it would cost to upgrade it to the S75 (which wasn't available when I ordered the car). He quoted me $3250 to unlock the software so I would have 75kWh. Seems a tad outrageous to me, but I'm interested in the opinion of the group. Many thanks.

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Seems like a bargain ;)

75kwh to 90kwh is 15kwh for $15k, or $1k/kwh. You're getting 5kwh for $3,250

3. commasign

commasign Active Member

That's about right. To go from 60kwh to 75kwh is $9000 so it's roughly $3k per 5kwh.

4. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

Bought my 70D from the showroom after a test drive. When I drove it, it was a 75D, but they were selling me the 70D. So they sent it to the servicer to downgrade it for when I picked up a few days later. I also have the option to upgrade for $3,250, but don't think I need the additional 19 miles yet. I may do it in the future.

5. msnow

msnow Active Member

It's just a little steep. The 85D to 90D last year was $3,000.

6. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

I'm really hoping that once the Gigafactory is pumping out battery cells and the price per kWh drops substantially, they will offer discounts on the software battery upgrades.

• Like x 1
  7. pixel4

pixel4 Member

Have you been in a position where you were low on battery and could have needed that extra few miles? I've had my 70D since first week of June and haven't yet driven it to less than 20%.

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

I got to 10% a few times and it was really nice having a little buffer.

9. hacer

hacer Member

Like you when I ordered the 75 didn't exist. They offered me the upgrade to 75 for $3k provided I did it before delivery. I concluded it wasn't worth it.
    It seems to me they should offer you the 3k price too since you didn't have the chance to choose it at order time

• Like x 1
  10. raysspl

raysspl Member

Yep, this is a fair bargain.

11. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Don't count on it. The original 40kw software limited packs can upgrade to 60kw for $10K, never seen it discounted or reduced in the 3+ years we've had ours.

12. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

Yeah, but the Gigafactory still isn't built. I'm sure that they have reduced the cost of the battery packs a little bit after 4 years of development, but it is nowhere near the 30% reduction they are predicting after the factory is done.

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Normally from one (factory-installed) battery size to the next you get a few miles of range, at what seems to be a very expensive price per-mile, plus you can persuade yourself that "another 10 miles isn't going to be useful THAT often", but the bigger battery also brings with it faster supercharging (more cells, so more of them charging in parallel = more range added per minute) and that can be well worth having, if you supercharge often enough..

But with a software-limited battery you are already able to charge a) regularly to 100% (of the software-limited capacity) and b) have the faster charging rate of the larger/whole battery. Thus I reckon that the upgrades won't often be purchased.

• Like x 1
  14. Three60guy

Three60guy Member

WannabeOwner:

Exactly. That is why I did not software upgrade my 70D to 75 kwh. In real life, it is the sweet spot of battery sizes. Plus, I can charge it to 100% all the time with the knowledge I won't be hurting it long term (confirmed by Tesla).

15. K_style

K_style Member

Keep that in mind that if you have a single motor S70 then you won't get 15 miles extended with S75 upgrade.