Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from 42.2 to 42.4 Failed - 'Contact Tesla Service'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on 42.2 and received a prompt to update earlier this evening.

I executed the software update but didn't get a completed message. It just came back up to the map and back to playing music. I let it sit there for awhile. The phone app no longer said 'software update in progress' either.

There was still an icon to update, so I ran the update again.

After some time, it came back up that the update had completed, and now shows I am on 42.4, but then popped up 'Software update required - Contact Tesla Service'.

I have done a hard reboot with the brake and 2 finger salute but same deal.

Anyone had this occur?

OqqsFgq.jpg

KVZNsJl.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I’ve had this happen several months ago during an update. I was able to call Tesla service and they just pushed the update to my 3 again and it installed successfully on the second attempt.

Reactions: super20g
I am on the same boat. I am on version 42.2 and just got an alert there is an update. It was installing or so I thought. Came back to a car with no notification that it was install successfully. I got a "Software update required, Contact Tesla Service". I notice my charging speed drop to 3 mi/hr. I unplug and charge again but still 3 mi/hr on a 240V. I did a reboot with the steering wheel buttons and the charging speed is back to normal 35 mi/hr but still saying I need to "Contact Tesla Service when convenience."

I can explain what's happening. it's funny we over in the S side of the forum went through this same learning curve years ago

What happened was despite what you saw on the screen, THE UPDATE WAS NOT FINISHED.

I executed the software update but didn't get a completed message. It just came back up to the map and back to playing music. I let it sit there for awhile. The phone app no longer said 'software update in progress' either.
The update does not always show progress while in progress. In fact, often it shows nothing for long periods of time (up to 1 hour 45 minutes). Unless it says its done, its not done. DO NOT sit in the car waiting for it to finish. Updates take a long time. When you get the push notification on the app, it is done. Not a moment before.

There was still an icon to update, so I ran the update again.
Proof that the update hadn't finished. It didn't fail and you started it again. It was still in progress!

After some time, it came back up that the update had completed, and now shows I am on 42.4, but then popped up 'Software update required - Contact Tesla Service'.
This is the proof - the "Software update required - Contact Tesla Service" ALWAYS comes up when people start pushing buttons before the update finishes. Again - you must get the push notification in the app.

I have done a hard reboot with the brake and 2 finger salute but same deal.

Anyone had this occur?
At this point there is nothing else that you can do.

Next time - DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR WHILE IT IS UPDATING. DO NOT SIT IN IT WHILE IT IS UPDATING. YOU ARE NOT INSTALLING WINZIP ON YOUR PC. This is a major firmware update. Messing up firmware updates can brick the device. I know we're all super excited to get updates and try them out, but you will get yourself into trouble doing this.

Same problem for me too. I'm on hold with Tesla Service. Wait time is an hour, so I may not wait that long.
Just got through... The rep said he's been getting a lot of these calls the past few hours and he doesn't have anything to tell them other than it shouldn't be a problem and to just wait it out and we should get another update to resolve it. He said if the car drives differently, call him back, but he doesn't expect that.

I can explain what's happening. it's funny we over in the S side of the forum went through this same learning curve years ago
What happened was despite what you saw on the screen, THE UPDATE WAS NOT FINISHED.

Dang... They should really stop fools like me from doing this... Seems like it shouldn't let you cram the same update down the cars throat when its already running.

Lesson learned, execute and leave the car alone for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: boaterva

The update does not always show progress while in progress. In fact, often it shows nothing for long periods of time (up to 1 hour 45 minutes). Unless it says its done, its not done. DO NOT sit in the car waiting for it to finish. Updates take a long time. When you get the push notification on the app, it is done. Not a moment before.

Proof that the update hadn't finished. It didn't fail and you started it again. It was still in progress!

This is the proof - the "Software update required - Contact Tesla Service" ALWAYS comes up when people start pushing buttons before the update finishes. Again - you must get the push notification in the app.

Next time - DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR WHILE IT IS UPDATING. DO NOT SIT IN IT WHILE IT IS UPDATING. YOU ARE NOT INSTALLING WINZIP ON YOUR PC. This is a major firmware update. Messing up firmware updates can brick the device. I know we're all super excited to get updates and try them out, but you will get yourself into trouble doing this.

So you mean that the process is still not idiot proof? They have not learnt from those early days yet?

Hit update from phone in house while car was charging. Didn't touch anything else. 2 hours later car starts charging again, at 4/miles per hour. I went out to check and had "Contact service" The updating may require car not charging as well, but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with anyone hitting any other button or waiting in the car.

Sometimes, things just don't work.

Just downloaded the update after getting back home after dinner. Wish I would have read this thread first LOL. Checked the app and now on 42.4 from 42.2. Checking screen on car now.

OP you named your car "Within Spec"? too funny.

Update: No alert message here and it installed fine. We set it to Install Now and it started countdown, said 45 minutes apx. in our case, and we left the car. Just read the Release Notes. Did notice that the car is now identified as Long Range Dual Motor on the About My Tesla screen.

BTW Release Notes cover: Navigate on Autopilot (Beta) and Keys and also showed Previous Release Notes (Version 9.0, Combining Autosteer and Auto Lane Change, Blindspot Warning, Dashcam, Mobile App, Application Launcher, Calendar, Engergy App, Web Browser, Status Bar, Climate Control, Navigation, Use HOV Lanes, Traffic View, Media, Seatbelt Card, Obstacle-Aware Acceleration, TeslAtari).

Last edited: