Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from 42.2 to 42.4 Failed - 'Contact Tesla Service'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same failed update message.

How in the world are you contacting Tesla?

I called the number (in the about your Tesla part), but it's not giving me an option for it.

It's not a roadside emergency so I don't press one, and doesn't fit any of the 5 options for option 2.

I’ve had this happen several months ago during an update. I was able to call Tesla service and they just pushed the update to my 3 again and it installed successfully on the second attempt.

I had same experience with a failed update, I called my Tesla SC and they repushed it later in the day and everything was good. Kinda scary in a way but this is our new reality.

Same problem here, before someone chimes in to tell me to be patient let me say that no extra buttons were pushed, I've had 10 or 11 updates successfully and this time it just failed, I did call Tesla and got hold of some one in only about 30 min, they said they would put me through to another dept. only another 40 min for that one.

I was told by the last person that answered that she has hundreds of people on hold waiting for the same problem and she was the only person there to answer the calls! it appears there was a huge problem with this push as she has never ever experienced so many people calling at once.

She also informed me to do the 2 wheel reset as a/c stopped working, a/c works and normal driving as well so just have to wait up to one week to get the software pushed out again to clear my message "software update required", we will probably see 42.6 or 42.7 by then! also I am still showing 42.2
YaMrhZhpQMinmq5BjAkksg.jpg

I can explain what's happening. it's funny we over in the S side of the forum went through this same learning curve years ago

What happened was despite what you saw on the screen, THE UPDATE WAS NOT FINISHED.

The update does not always show progress while in progress. In fact, often it shows nothing for long periods of time (up to 1 hour 45 minutes). Unless it says its done, its not done. DO NOT sit in the car waiting for it to finish. Updates take a long time. When you get the push notification on the app, it is done. Not a moment before.

Proof that the update hadn't finished. It didn't fail and you started it again. It was still in progress!

This is the proof - the "Software update required - Contact Tesla Service" ALWAYS comes up when people start pushing buttons before the update finishes. Again - you must get the push notification in the app.

At this point there is nothing else that you can do.

Next time - DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR WHILE IT IS UPDATING. DO NOT SIT IN IT WHILE IT IS UPDATING. YOU ARE NOT INSTALLING WINZIP ON YOUR PC. This is a major firmware update. Messing up firmware updates can brick the device. I know we're all super excited to get updates and try them out, but you will get yourself into trouble doing this.
This. I always tap on the screen (used to, now use the app, of course.). Used to walk away, be sure the fob (on my X) was nowhere near the car and not access the app until I got the notification it was done. Do not touch the car!

All the updating and moving software between partitions doesn’t need people watching or helping. :D

Looks like on the 3 and 42.3 and 42.4 (which are replacing 42.2 at full speed) something else is happening too. Got a notification last night after we went to bed that a new release was ready and this AM it wasn’t on the app to install. About to check the car and see if it has any trace of anything. (Nope.)

Love how Tesla can even delete iOS notification history! :D

Edit: based on other info here, looks like they may be pulling .3 for .4? Still tons of installs going down... no idea what is the better release or what...

And on the contacting Tesla through the nation support number, I’ve not called it in a while and they are always fiddling with the menus, but there used to always be a technical support or questions about your car or whatever. I always used that for non-emergency calls. Better to call when California is asleep, perhaps early in the day eastern time? Not prime time on a weekend? :D

Last edited:
They may have pulled this one. This morning I had an update notice on my phone, but when I opened the app it did not show any available update.
What did you have before? As noted I had a ‘recalled’ installation also, but as of right now, 73 42.4 installs today and 53 42.3 (if memory serves, copying data from TeslaFi).

So, hard to see a pattern of which one has been ‘recalled’. Really weird even over 12 hours later!

Update: After on hold for 52 minutes, I got a Tesla rep to do a restart update request. He asked me to do the steering wheel reboot without the brake pedal. The screen stayed black for a long time. He put me on hold again for a few minutes and came back and the screen turn on. He say look like the car is trying to download the update. To wait a "few moments" and I should get a prompt to install the new update from my app. He wasn't lying, I went inside my house and got an alert from the app that there is an update available! I am now installing it from the app and just going to wait it out this time. I will report back. :D

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Update: After on hold for 52 minutes, I got a Tesla rep to do a restart update request. He asked me to do the steering wheel reboot without the brake pedal. The screen stayed black for a long time. He put me on hold again for a few minutes and came back and the screen turn on. He say look like the car is trying to download the update. To wait a "few moments" and I should get a prompt to install the new update from my app. He wasn't lying, I went inside my house and got an alert from the app that there is an update available! I am now installing it from the app and just going to wait it out this time. I will report back. :D

I had/have this issue.

So I did the reboot last night, and I never got an update.

This morning I tried calling, and chose the service option but gave up waiting after 15 min or so. I was on this forum reading about it, and it seemed silly to wait on hold for something lots of people are dealing with.

When I went to my card I had to do a hard reboot because nothing was coming up on the screen. Then a little bit later an update came through so it's now updating.

FWIW my update stuck last night and I'm still on 42.4 ccb9715. When I checked my app this morning it wasn't connecting to the car and their was an alert on the bottom saying "updated yesterday" and the car was dark. So I was a bit hesitant to what I'd find. When I went out to the car, everything seemed okay however and that's when I was able to check the version number. Rear defrost worked and the driver's seat heated. Since 42.2 I have had music from 2 local radio stations where the music just doesn't play right. It's weird. One station was KBay 94.5 and these are songs from the 70s 80s that you've heard a million times so know by heart and they were off in spots. On occasion it would go silent. Drove for morning coffee and other than that everything seemed to be operating fine.

For those that say you shouldn't sit in the car when it is updating I have never had a problem in doing so. For five years and eight months I have sat in my Model S for nearly every update and never had a problem. Just one data point.
Sure you can. Just don’t do anything, don’t touch anything. and don’t get out until you get the app notification that the software update is complete. All we were saying. :D

Here is a new one, after my failed update yesterday I just got a notification on my app that said the update was installed successfully, I did nothing to initiate the install and I asked my wife if she did, got a no from her so I'm guessing that since I had initiated the install yesterday from the app and it failed then it did not need my permission again? maybe because it was already in the middle of an update? anyway im on 42.4 now.

I can explain what's happening. it's funny we over in the S side of the forum went through this same learning curve years ago

What happened was despite what you saw on the screen, THE UPDATE WAS NOT FINISHED.

The update does not always show progress while in progress. In fact, often it shows nothing for long periods of time (up to 1 hour 45 minutes). Unless it says its done, its not done. DO NOT sit in the car waiting for it to finish. Updates take a long time. When you get the push notification on the app, it is done. Not a moment before.

Proof that the update hadn't finished. It didn't fail and you started it again. It was still in progress!

This is the proof - the "Software update required - Contact Tesla Service" ALWAYS comes up when people start pushing buttons before the update finishes. Again - you must get the push notification in the app.

At this point there is nothing else that you can do.

Next time - DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR WHILE IT IS UPDATING. DO NOT SIT IN IT WHILE IT IS UPDATING. YOU ARE NOT INSTALLING WINZIP ON YOUR PC. This is a major firmware update. Messing up firmware updates can brick the device. I know we're all super excited to get updates and try them out, but you will get yourself into trouble doing this.
Our 3 got the "needs update - contact service" this morning. It was set to start the update last night at 1:30AM. I guarantee nobody touched the car between 11PM last night and 8:30AM this morning. True, there was no app notification, but it was 7 hours after the update was supposed to start and the car was off. Opening the door was all it took to see the notice. My wife drove it anyway and everything seems to work fine despite the notice.

So with your advice we should let the car sit undisturbed, parked in the garage indefinitely until we see a notification? At what point do you give up: 2 hours, 24 hours, 1 week, 1 month, etc. ?

Our 3 got the "needs update - contact service" this morning. It was set to start the update last night at 1:30AM. I guarantee nobody touched the car between 11PM last night and 8:30AM this morning. True, there was no app notification, but it was 7 hours after the update was supposed to start and the car was off. Opening the door was all it took to see the notice. My wife drove it anyway and everything seems to work fine despite the notice.

So with your advice we should let the car sit undisturbed, parked in the garage indefinitely until we see a notification? At what point do you give up: 2 hours, 24 hours, 1 week, 1 month, etc. ?
Classically, it’s never taken more than 45 minutes or so. These cases where it fails and reinstalls or other weirdness happens are new. We were describing how updates have been installed over the last several years.

Never heard of an update installing without the user acknowledging it by tapping on the display. Now, of course, remote installs happen with the app allowed to control it and who knows what other remote options!