Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded SR Partial Audio to Full Premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, has anyone talked to their local Service Centers to see if they'd be willing to do the upgrade for them?

No, but I'm sure they wouldn't.

That's without even getting into how insanely expensive it'd be to pay dealer labor to install new factory wiring from front dash back to trunk and wire everything up.

Just as Tesla won't add a front motor to a RWD car even though in the 3 it's technically possible, or swap an LR battery pack into an SR/SR+ car, or any of the many other major-work didn't-order-it-originally upgrades it's physically possible to do.

No, but I'm sure they wouldn't.

That's without even getting into how insanely expensive it'd be to pay dealer labor to install new factory wiring from front dash back to trunk and wire everything up.

Just as Tesla won't add a front motor to a RWD car even though in the 3 it's technically possible, or swap an LR battery pack into an SR/SR+ car, or any of the many other major-work didn't-order-it-originally upgrades it's physically possible to do.

Yeah, figured it was worth a shot. Guess I'll have to go the non-OEM route for now. I emailed my local SC and here is the response they gave me in case anyone was wondering:

At this time Tesla does not offer an audio upgrade option (amplifier, subwoofer, harnesses, and firmware) for your vehicle. Please check back in the future to see if one is available.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I'm curious, has anyone talked to their local Service Centers to see if they'd be willing to do the upgrade for them?
Yes, I did. They will sell me the parts, harness, rear amp and subwoofer, but their tech says it will not work.

I dont think it will be too hard to swap the base harness with the premium one. The Subwoofer and rear amp plus connecting the rear deck speakers will be easy once the premium harness is in place.

The parts together will add up to $800-$1000.

I doubt it needs a firmware upgrade as the audio controls for premium audio are the same as in the SR+.

Last edited:
Anyone here tried to upgrade to premium audio using the oem rear amplifier & subwoofer and the Model 3 main rightside harness for premium model? Using these oem parts it looks feasible to get an oem upgrade to premium audio.
This was my original plan, and after looking into it further, I'm not sure if it's feasible. First off, that harness runs to everything on the right side of the car, so you'll have to pull the headliner, seat, pillar trims, and probably a few other things. So my next plan was hoping the output for the second sub was just an empty spot in a harness clip that I could populate with some wires and run back. After researching the wiring diagrams and service manual. then looking at my SR+, the wiring connector into the ICE computer (HW3) looks completely different. I suspect the output from the ICE computer is different depending on what sound system you have. Here is what the wires are mapped like for the connector with the premium harness:

wiring_diagram.png

And here is what I saw looking at the harness for my SR+:

harness_in_car.jpg

From what I can see the wiring is completely different, so I think some software change might be required too. I'll have to follow the wires back to confirm though. Still more research to do...

Found these subs with built-in amplifiers online. Can any audio guys here tell me if a solution similar to these would be compatible with a Tesla? Website here: MicroSub+™

I'd likely get the Single 10TW1 MicroSub+
That should work with pretty much any car, however I personally am going to use the OEM sub enclosure and probably the OEM sub speaker too. That way it can fit cleanly out of sight in the passenger side of the trunk. There is also room there for a smaller amp (it's where the factory second amp goes as well). But you could get something like that and maybe fit it in your sub trunk.

Reactions: badiban
That should work with pretty much any car, however I personally am going to use the OEM sub enclosure and probably the OEM sub speaker too. That way it can fit cleanly out of sight in the passenger side of the trunk. There is also room there for a smaller amp (it's where the factory second amp goes as well). But you could get something like that and maybe fit it in your sub trunk.

Sweet, thanks. Just wanted to make sure the power of the amp wouldn't kill the car's battery.

Hey guys, noob to all of this and I'm thinking about tackling this project after doing some research.

I was wondering if I only want to enable the rear deck speakers and a sub (looking at the Kenwood KSC-SW11 which I think is self amplified) would the KTP-445U be enough to power them? Or am I totally off base and would need something else to hook up the sub along with a KTP-445U.

This was my original plan, and after looking into it further, I'm not sure if it's feasible. First off, that harness runs to everything on the right side of the car, so you'll have to pull the headliner, seat, pillar trims, and probably a few other things. So my next plan was hoping the output for the second sub was just an empty spot in a harness clip that I could populate with some wires and run back. After researching the wiring diagrams and service manual. then looking at my SR+, the wiring connector into the ICE computer (HW3) looks completely different. I suspect the output from the ICE computer is different depending on what sound system you have. Here is what the wires are mapped like for the connector with the premium harness:

View attachment 532685

And here is what I saw looking at the harness for my SR+:

View attachment 532686

From what I can see the wiring is completely different, so I think some software change might be required too. I'll have to follow the wires back to confirm though. Still more research to do...
Ill post the SR+ wiring when i get a chance but Centers and mids are the same i think, 11 and 12 go to the pedestrian speaker in the bumper, the tweeters and woofers replace the door and pillar tweeters. A few of the wires change colors from the speaker to that harness

• Informative
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Ill post the SR+ wiring when i get a chance but Centers and mids are the same i think, 11 and 12 go to the pedestrian speaker in the bumper, the tweeters and woofers replace the door and pillar tweeters. A few of the wires change colors from the speaker to that harness
Okay cool, that'd be much appreciated. If going the totally OEM route is an option, I'd love to figure out how feasible it is, and post a comprehensive guide on it.

99D84455-6F5A-44E7-974C-356E92974CF1.jpeg
E9B0DA0E-7318-47B8-9800-D0F034AE2CDD.jpeg
I suspect the output from the ICE computer is different depending on what sound system you have.
There is only one part number for the Model 3 HW3 ICE computer in epc.tesla.com. The audio output must therefore be identical for premium and SR+. I found these two connector mappings for premium and SR+ and they seem to match. Take notice that the mappings are mirrored. One is drawn viewed from the computer other from the connector. Left side on premium mapping is right side on SR+ mapping. Some wire coloring is different between the premium and SR+ harnesses. The epc does show a different premium and base (SR+) harness for the right side of the main cabin running from dash to trunk.

Last edited:
View attachment 533545 View attachment 533546
There is only one part number for the Model 3 HW3 ICE computer in epc.tesla.com. The audio output must therefore be identical for premium and SR+. I found these two connector mappings for premium and SR+ and they seem to match. Take notice that the mappings are mirrored. One is drawn viewed from the computer other from the connector. Left side on premium mapping is right side on SR+ mapping. Some wire coloring is different between the premium and SR+ harnesses. The epc does show a different premium and base (SR+) harness for the right side of the main cabin running from dash to trunk.
I know the ICE computer is the same part, however the software could be outputting different things to different channels. My initial conclusion was that this would be an awful lot of development work, so I doubt Tesla does it (even though their parts guy claimed they do have a software difference). But I always take what the Tesla staff tell me with a large grain of salt.

My current ideal scenario would be if we could find the output from the ICE to the second amp in the rear of the car. If that can be found, it would be a much easier job to wire into that and find a way to power up the second amp, then run custom wires to the extra speakers. This would be significantly cheaper and easier than swapping the whole harness.

Did you actually manage to get the parts from Tesla? The guy I talked to at my local SC refused to sell me the parts, even though the parts catalogue lists them as unrestricted.

56BEAB16-D4C0-4F3C-95BC-AD54B62E98F2.png

I know the ICE computer is the same part, however the software could be outputting different things to different channels. My initial conclusion was that this would be an awful lot of development work, so I doubt Tesla does it (even though their parts guy claimed they do have a software difference). But I always take what the Tesla staff tell me with a large grain of salt.

My current ideal scenario would be if we could find the output from the ICE to the second amp in the rear of the car. If that can be found, it would be a much easier job to wire into that and find a way to power up the second amp, then run custom wires to the extra speakers. This would be significantly cheaper and easier than swapping the whole harness.

Did you actually manage to get the parts from Tesla? The guy I talked to at my local SC refused to sell me the parts, even though the parts catalogue lists them as unrestricted.

I did not buy the parts from Tesla as they can be found for less money on ebay

This is the wiring colors coming off the computer on my 2020 SR+. Im changing out all the 4" speakers and putting in amps slowly and hooking up the speakers that are not already connected. For the door tweeters and A pillar speakers I purchased a passive component crossover off ebay and wired them together and since I am leaving those factory I am powering them off the original L/R dash speaker output since those will later run off an amp anyways. FWIW just swapping between the Dash L/R and the door tweeters and A pillar speakers the sound sounds pretty much the same far as i can tell. Sound even sounds like its coming from the windshield. Both A pillar speaker wires run down from the left A pillar in a blue plug (Left [green+/gray-, Right[orange+/brown-])

wiring_diagram.png

also Im pretty sure there is a software difference between the premium and standards due to how alot of the speakers are swapped between the two on this connector and them requiring different crossover points.
Yes I'm starting to think so too, which is unfortunate, because it means a less OEM option is required. I'm thinking of keeping the factory sub and sub box, but buying an aftermarket amp to run those and the two rear deck speakers. I might get an amp with an extra two channels and rig up the four front tweeters, but I'm not sure how much those impact sound, so they might not be worth it. I just need to find an amp that can comfortably be mounted in the passenger quarter panel area, as I want to keep it factory looking, with no ugly amps mounted visibly in my trunk.

View attachment 533675

I did not buy the parts from Tesla as they can be found for less money on ebay
Really? The SC quoted me at $1000 CAD for the harness, amp, and sub, plus mounting hardware. Only about $550-$600 EUR, I haven't really found anything to compete with that price on ebay or anywhere else online. Seems the standard practice for Tesla parts is charge the same or MORE than OEM.

Yes I'm starting to think so too, which is unfortunate, because it means a less OEM option is required. I'm thinking of keeping the factory sub and sub box, but buying an aftermarket amp to run those and the two rear deck speakers. I might get an amp with an extra two channels and rig up the four front tweeters, but I'm not sure how much those impact sound, so they might not be worth it. I just need to find an amp that can comfortably be mounted in the passenger quarter panel area, as I want to keep it factory looking, with no ugly amps mounted visibly in my trunk.

Really? The SC quoted me at $1000 CAD for the harness, amp, and sub, plus mounting hardware. Only about $550-$600 EUR, I haven't really found anything to compete with that price on ebay or anywhere else online. Seems the standard practice for Tesla parts is charge the same or MORE than OEM.
$150 for the rear amp on ebay, $250 with Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller