Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading existing 14-50 outlet to Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You could add a 14-50 power plug pigtail to the Wall Connector, configure the Wall Connector for use on a 50A circuit. This would work but would not be to code because the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector does not provide an installation option for use with a plug.
Right. I would prefer to hardwire it but wanted to try and use the outlet I already have. I guess I could save it for the next car...

Right. I would prefer to hardwire it but wanted to try and use the outlet I already have. I guess I could save it for the next car...
You do realize that you can hardwire to the same circuit the 14-50 is currently on? If the location is convenient, you can mount the wall connector directly over the wall box. Otherwise, after you remove the outlet, replace the cover with one that interfaces with conduit fittings. Use some hard or flex conduit and #6 THHN wire to run from the box to the wall connector. Use Polaris connectors to splice the new wire and the existing feed in the wall. Cap off the white wire.

Personally, I think that using a 14-50 pigtail is perfectly adequate. There are plenty of off the shelf EVSEs that connect in exactly that way.

I guess I just don't see the excitement in owning a wall connector over just plugging in the car to a 50-amp outlet. Is it because you get to spend hundreds of dollars more for the exact same function? It can't be the increased speed, as most sane people charge at night and have no idea when their car starts or finishes charging. I've used a 14-50 outlet since 2002, when I bought my first RAV4EV, and I'm still using it. Somehow my car still keeps charging overnight.

Reactions: helobubba
You do realize that you can hardwire to the same circuit the 14-50 is currently on? If the location is convenient, you can mount the wall connector directly over the wall box. Otherwise, after you remove the outlet, replace the cover with one that interfaces with conduit fittings. Use some hard or flex conduit and #6 THHN wire to run from the box to the wall connector. Use Polaris connectors to splice the new wire and the existing feed in the wall. Cap off the white wire.

Personally, I think that using a 14-50 pigtail is perfectly adequate. There are plenty of off the shelf EVSEs that connect in exactly that way.
That's a good point. I was planning on taking the outlet and installing it elsewhere but I my consider doing it this way. Thanks.

I guess I just don't see the excitement in owning a wall connector over just plugging in the car to a 50-amp outlet. Is it because you get to spend hundreds of dollars more for the exact same function? It can't be the increased speed, as most sane people charge at night and have no idea when their car starts or finishes charging. I've used a 14-50 outlet since 2002, when I bought my first RAV4EV, and I'm still using it. Somehow my car still keeps charging overnight.
The reason i'm doing it is because I don't have a garage/carport so my connection is completely outdoors and exposed to the weather. I may not have mentioned it but I installed a 14-50 weatherproof receptacle on the side of my house. Rather than risk the mobile connector getting damaged from rain/snow etc., or having failure due to constantly unplugging, I'm choosing to go the more weatherproof method. I don't feel like building an enclosure for the MC to go into.

Plus, with the 30% charging infrastructure tax credit, a $400 wall connector is now only $280, a nice upcoming birthday present...

It's worth it to me for some peace of mind and safety.

Sanity is a function of when one chooses to charge their car? I’ll file that one away as obscure but interesting.

Whatever floats your boat. With changes to pricing and code requirements, it's not "hundreds more" anymore, at least for new installs.

The reason i'm doing it is because I don't have a garage/carport so my connection is completely outdoors and exposed to the weather. I may not have mentioned it but I installed a 14-50 weatherproof receptacle on the side of my house. Rather than risk the mobile connector getting damaged from rain/snow etc., or having failure due to constantly unplugging, I'm choosing to go the more weatherproof method.
Yep, that's a great reason. I always recommended wall connector if possible for outdoor situations because of that weather issue.

Reactions: ATPMSD and maggit13
Now I just need a car to plug it into....
Speaking of... we had placed an order for a Model Y in January, and the delivery estimate was all the way out in December. So we're going along, all these months, waiting until December, until...I got a text last night, saying my VIN has been assigned and delivery is this week! What?! OK.

The Tow Hitch appears to be in stock on the Tesla Shop page, so likely not causing the delay.
Apparently I have to own a Tesla to add the towpackage from the website so I cannot confirm or deny this 😁

1661984325244.png

Instead of a Tesla wall connector, how about using a third party charger, like Enel-x? It will have a J1772 plug which is more versatile for future, non-Tesla EVs. I love my Tesla, but EV charging should have a standard plug.....

Instead of a Tesla wall connector, how about using a third party charger, like Enel-x? It will have a J1772 plug which is more versatile for future, non-Tesla EVs. I love my Tesla, but EV charging should have a standard plug.....

There is a standard it’s called Tesla! 😎

But in all seriousness you also have to consider the feature set for things such as built in power sharing. Also at $400 for the Tesla WC it is about half the price of most of the competition.

I'm in a dilemma about upgrading to the Wall Connector. Because my Model Y did not come with a Mobile Adaptor AND Tesla is out of stock for the Mobile Adaptor (a credit is not terribly useful if the product you want is unavailable!) I installed a 14-50 receptacle and purchased a J1772 charger that seems to be working fine. The charging unit is mobile but it will only apparently work with a 50amp service so its mobility is marginal if traveling or using a plug adaptor for 20qmp or 30amp. I am tempted to replace it with a Wall Connector but then I still have the problem when traveling and in need of a re-charge when I am out of range for a Supercharger. So, do I wait for "availability" of the Tesla Mobile Charger or do I simply pay for a Wall Connector?
Thanks.