Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn't seem quite right. "Next gen" seats were available on late 2014 and 2015 cars (see this current CPO offering for instance: Inventory Search | Tesla). Is it possible that you're calling the "gen 3" seats next gen when you mean to say that of "gen 2" seats?

the original Next gen Recaro came on the 2014-2015 P85D, these are the more "stiff" ones with large bolster that holds you nice and snug. they later changed manufacturer for all standard cars/P90D going forward away from Recaro and made softer ones with less "snug"

I think tesla may actually call the newest seats 2nd generation. Coat Hooks
New coat hooks are available at Tesla shop and it says they are designed for 2nd generation seats. If you look at the color options they are the black and the white and the seats they are used are the most recent ones with the adjustable headrests.

2014-2015 next gen seats are awesome compared to my flat back low support 2013. I've been on the hunt for a salvage pair for 4 years now.... Tesla will do it for 5K last I checked, but have supplier issues so it may not be a "quick" fix.

I sat in a 2017 white leather option recently in a tesla rental and hated them, so i dont know what changed between 2015/2017 but i personally prefer the 2015. For reference i am 5'10 165 lbs with a 33 waist and 31 inseam.

This doesn't seem quite right. "Next gen" seats were available on late 2014 and 2015 cars (see this current CPO offering for instance: Inventory Search | Tesla). Is it possible that you're calling the "gen 3" seats next gen when you mean to say that of "gen 2" seats?

Trust me I've done a bit of research on this ;), Gen 3 (Next Gen) were initially rolled out on the P85D's Only and later became standard for all cars just before Gen 4 was released, P85D's launched late Q4 2014 some delivered but most built in 2014 and delivered in 2015. Gen 2 was short-lived but they were upgrades to the original seats and have a different SKU which is why I added them to the list.

What you call Gen 2 seats were still delivered in my late 2016 S. When I ordered that car, gen 3 were optional seems to have become standard late 2017 onward

Yes thats correct, they got lots of complaints about the seats not holding people properly and sliding in the seat so the Gen 3 (Next Gen) were supposed to resolve that....they later got complaints as evident in this thread as well that the Gen 3 (Next Gen) seats weren't very comfortable and hugged people too tight. This spawned the creation of Gen 4 (Tesla Premium) to be more comfortable than Gen 3, yet more support than Gen 2 and an adjustable headrest.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
The need for seating comfort is probably dependent on how many continuous hours you will spend driving. Upgrading seats looks to be costly and probably not recovered on resale of the vehicle. The car would have to be a long term keeper to justify seat upgrade.

We still have our early 90s Miata which we drove across the continent a few times. The seats are leather and thinly padded. Good enough for short runs but multiple 10 hours days of driving became a pain. Our solution was sheep skin. It worked very well, was not expensive and not permanent.

If you really need more comfort for a long distance tour consider sheep skin. BTW is remains cool in summer heat. Moving your wallet from a back pants pocket also helps.

The need for seating comfort is probably dependent on how many continuous hours you will spend driving. Upgrading seats looks to be costly and probably not recovered on resale of the vehicle. The car would have to be a long term keeper to justify seat upgrade.

We still have our early 90s Miata which we drove across the continent a few times. The seats are leather and thinly padded. Good enough for short runs but multiple 10 hours days of driving became a pain. Our solution was sheep skin. It worked very well, was not expensive and not permanent.

If you really need more comfort for a long distance tour consider sheep skin. BTW is remains cool in summer heat. Moving your wallet from a back pants pocket also helps.

You could get dyed (black) sheepskin perhaps if interior is black. I like this idea. I might try it. The only worry is chafing on the leather may cause undue wear.

Removing wallet and phone from each back pocket is a must on every drive. I totally agree.

Trust me I've done a bit of research on this ;), Gen 3 (Next Gen) were initially rolled out on the P85D's Only and later became standard for all cars just before Gen 4 was released, P85D's launched late Q4 2014 some delivered but most built in 2014 and delivered in 2015. Gen 2 was short-lived but they were upgrades to the original seats and have a different SKU which is why I added them to the list.

Yes thats correct, they got lots of complaints about the seats not holding people properly and sliding in the seat so the Gen 3 (Next Gen) were supposed to resolve that....they later got complaints as evident in this thread as well that the Gen 3 (Next Gen) seats weren't very comfortable and hugged people too tight. This spawned the creation of Gen 4 (Tesla Premium) to be more comfortable than Gen 3, yet more support than Gen 2 and an adjustable headrest.
Thanks for that info. If I install used gen 4 seats with cooling and adjustable headrests in my 2016 S, do you think Tesla would agree to update my software so I can control them from the screen?

My seats are cut up somewhat on the backs due to a rear facing car seat. The wife and I had been wondering if there was some option for switching out the seats once we’re done with such car seats for a while, so switching them out actually does interest me. Getting more comfortable seats is a nice bonus.

Thanks for that info. If I install used gen 4 seats with cooling and adjustable headrests in my 2016 S, do you think Tesla would agree to update my software so I can control them from the screen?

The wiring issues to do this are impossible I have been told by SC. The seat controller, the UI, and the steering wheel positioner are all tied together. It seems its not possible perhaps the SC is right on this one.

• Informative
Reactions: Olle
These cars are complicated. They replaced my seat base with same Next Gen base. After that the steering wheel controls were reversed. They had to go back some revs. or forward to find the proper seat controller just to make it work properly again. With what I know, you'll never be able to garage mechanic these cars. EVER. Okay the basics, but this sort of move, you'll regret I am sure. Rotate your tires, torque your lug nuts. Hell maybe even replace your own brakes. But take a seat made for later model and install in earlier one. Trouble. A few extra wires. What do you do with those. NO way.

I have the first generation of seats ( 2015) replaced by the 4th generation :) What does not work is the seat heating, headrest adjustment and the memory seat module. How do I get the seat heating working? I miss this the most
Does another chair memory module also have to be installed for let de seat memory work?

Do not throw away the old seats. A company is in the process of converting all the electronic parts of the first generation of seats into the gen 4. Control, cabels and the motors. They have done the passenger seat which would work. The driver's seat will follow. They also said that the seat heating should work.
Only the headrests doesn't . They have to be set a little higher. They must be raised electronically or mechanically in one way or another . after that it cannot be changed anymore by the Tochscreen.

I would do this bc I love the latest gen white seats. But 5k seems steep, esp if they keep your old seats. Wondering if this is SC specific? I remember asking about upgrade options to my local SC in the DC area a while back and they said it can’t be done.

I'm looking into acquiring a set of the newer 4th gen seats to install in a 2013 P85. I couldn't imagine why these wouldn't work.... they have the same connectors as the Gen3 "Next Gen" seats. Already contacted Tesla and they have the jumper cables for the new seat wiring retrofit waiting for me to pick up. (Convert Gen1 to Next Gen connectors/ gen4)

I started a thread about the retrofit early but the seat I acquired was gen4 but a single white connector instead of the black and gray connectors found on the next gens. They apparently made two different models of the 4th gen seats and the one I bought cannot be converted... but the other should be fine.

I'll let you all know how I make out soon. It should just be a simple new part firmware deployment to read the new modules and then software will be reassessed and downloaded for what the vehicle needs.

Reactions: veloaudio
Gen one seats to gen 4
With transferring the seat motors cables , everything works, also de memory module, except the headrest which is adjusted electronically during installation and unfortunately the seat heating does not work. Does anyone know a work around?

to which cable should gen 4heating seats be connected to gen 1 , ore another cable?