Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

URENT: Advice/Help Needed for Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that is pretty much the decision I am making, to move ahead with "classic." The reality is they will probably upgrade the model x seats in a month or two, then 100d, and finally AP2. I figure I will keep this one a year or two and then get back in the upgrade carousel again!

This is finally a great time (for me) to buy the new S since it likely won't see any other major revisions for some time (possibly just a 100kWh battery pack this summer, but I'm not going top of the lime anyway).

I guess that depends on what you mean by "some time"...

Tesla Is Working On Autopilot Hardware Suite 2.0 — Confirmed By Elon Musk

When it comes to advancements, you need to consider that buying this vehicle is much more like buying a phone than a car. (A really expensive phone, granted.)

Ask yourself, if the new nose + LED headlights + HEPA filter was a package for $11K and you had the option to add it to your car, would you add it? If yes, cancel and order new, if no, get the inventory car and don't look back - with Tesla there is always something new getting added to the cars. The best thing is to learn to enjoy what you have, rather than ruin it by wishing you could have the very latest.

Reactions: brkaus and mnec
11k AND WAIT TIME?
If it was 3-5k then i would see a reasonable argument, but 11k is half of a new prius C or camry.

Honestly, if that inventory car has everything you want then it is hands down the car to go for.
Just make sure its relatively low milage.
Assuming that inventory car was built in the later half of last year, you'll be getting the best car (hardware wise) that was made before mostly superficial styling tweaks.

new cars also have that boring centre console which you can't opt out of it seems (i personally dont care for it and think the old cars are better for it being without it).

It's also worth noting that the new changes on the S this week also came with a bump in price of the car.
If the model X pricing is any indication, you can sure bet they factored in the dip in the CAD, whereas they might have been a little bit more forgiving pricing that inventory car because they need to get rid of it.

Reactions: mnec
Ask yourself, if the new nose + LED headlights + HEPA filter was a package for $11K and you had the option to add it to your car, would you add it? If yes, cancel and order new, if no, get the inventory car and don't look back - with Tesla there is always something new getting added to the cars. The best thing is to learn to enjoy what you have, rather than ruin it by wishing you could have the very latest.
This is really thought provoking reply. :)

$11k is a great discount on an inventory car, congrats! In addition to the discount, if you ordered new would you lose the $1000 deposit and have to pay $1500 more for the same configuration with the new pricing structure, or are you including that in the $11k?

Personally, since I can't see the front of the car when I'm driving it, I would stand pat on my inventory car and save the $. That's me. I just passed on a new 70D knowing that a refresh was likely and I am missing out on dual motors and autopilot. Instead I bought a CPO to save myself depreciation. The CPO does have performance that the 70 does not!

It's your personal choice!