Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If that’s the case, if the RWD has 88% the capacity of the LR, then the range should be closer to 290 (since the LR is 330), right?

More like 300 miles for an apples to apples figure. If Tesla is claiming 260 miles from 60kWh, that is about 230kWh/mile. 69.6kWh/.230 = 303. This reflects the approximately 4% greater efficiency of the RWD which can be seen in the EPA testing.

• Helpful
Reactions: mborkow
I’m still not entirely sure though, as I’ve seen multiple Reddit posts reporting they only get 32A

It's possible, but 48A is shown right on the screen in the car: 2023 Model Y RWD vin assignment

Perhaps those reports are from owners of Shanghai built MY RWDs that are sold outside the US, as those do use the LFP batteries that charge at 32A

Edit: that poster at Reddit appears to be from Canada which gets the Shanghai LFP RWD, as they posted a Canadian Tesla link: 2023 Model Y RWD onboard charger is limited to 32 amps (same for Model 3 RWD)

Last edited:
Reactions: ad329
I took delivery of MY RWD yesterday. The windows sticker says "Microprocessor controlled Lithium ION battery". Does that mean its a LR battery?
No, there’s no way to draw that conclusion based on that info. Long Range battery is a lithium ion battery. The LFP battery used in other markets and the 3 RWD is a lithium ion battery. The low voltage battery that runs the “12v” system is a lithium ion battery.

(the window sticker is almost certainly referring to the low voltage system)

Reactions: E90alex and ven7782
New to the chat here. I’ve been following a lot of these threads for some time now leading up to taking delivery of my new RWD Y Fremont build on 12/13. To confirm things that were already stated - it can charge at 48A on my wall connector at home and pulled over 200kw at the supercharger last night. They told me my car was equipped with an LG E3 M50F battery when I took delivery. Anyone have any idea what this points to?

I did some calculation of my MY RWD battery capacity based on the Energy app data. At 77% battery, it showed a projected range of 239 miles based on the average of 223 Wh/mi.

At 100% battery, the range would be 310 miles.
223 * 310 = 69.216 kWh.

Any thoughts?