Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C Center Console Ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the module from TPARTS. Super easy install, less than 5 minutes and now I can play music from my USB drive. The purchase came with a USB-C adapter. Now if only Tesla would put back the controller games I'd be good to go.
Tesla is going to eventually allow bluetooth controllers to connect so nobody will need to connect with a wire. The games will be put back when that functionality is implemented.

So I just got my 2022 Model 3 on 8/16/22
And I ordered the Tparts data module for the center console.

So you're aware, it looks like the center console wiring has changed again and is now very much NOT plug and play.

There used to be a gray microusb dongle in the center console wiring harness that ran midway to the side of the passenger center console, and then the microusb from there to the ECU under the glove box was missing and this is what the "new" Tparts kit provides, the microusb cord to connect midway from the center console to the ECU under the glovebox.

But there is no more gray wiring harness in the center console. So now there is zero data wire from under the glove box to the USB-C in the center console, and the microusb wire they give you (which was only intended to go halfway from the side of the console to the ECU under glovebox) is not long enough.

Stated differently, the connection point for the microusb cable which used to be halfway down the center console and run to the gray dongle in the center console wiring harness is now non-existent.

So connecting the data module NOW requires you to run (read: smash through tiny openings and run under the carpet on the outside of the center console) your own much longer microusb cable all the way from the center console ports to under the glovebox.

This is not specified in any of Tparts instructions or videos, and I emailed them to ask for a refund since it's ludicrous to do now.

07873C2F-86FE-493D-8079-1C0C45F4069E.jpeg

visually this is what has changed

The first change was losing 1, which the tparts module replaced

The second change (mid 2022) was losing 3, which is now included in the “upgraded” tparts kit

But now there is no 1, 3 OR 2. 2 has been removed as well.

Wouldn’t recommend getting this anymore.

Currently on the (US) Model 3 page, there is no mention of USB-C ports at all. They're probably next on the chopping block. Only wireless charging is mentioned.

Also of note is "Music and media over Bluetooth" - as if they're saying, "we know our media player sucks for USB playback, so we're going to remove it and you can stream from your phone."

Which means even cars with functional data ports might lose USB playback. Annoying, to say the least.

1660909802848.png

Currently on the (US) Model 3 page, there is no mention of USB-C ports at all. They're probably next on the chopping block. Only wireless charging is mentioned.

Also of note is "Music and media over Bluetooth" - as if they're saying, "we know our media player sucks for USB playback, so we're going to remove it and you can stream from your phone."

Which means even cars with functional data ports might lose USB playback. Annoying, to say the least.

View attachment 842592
I tried connecting my phone to the USB port in the center console yesterday in my ‘21 to try streaming over USB. I didn’t see the option to do this in the UI.

I tried connecting my phone to the USB port in the center console yesterday in my ‘21 to try streaming over USB. I didn’t see the option to do this in the UI.
You should be able to stream via Bluetooth which doesn't require a USB port.

I think Tesla is eventually removing all but the glovebox USB port, since the USB-C ports have basically been neutered already.

Very interesting because of steam integration that's coming too for them to be shutting down the USB ports... doesn't make a lot of sense since controllers over BT aren't even supported at all. This entire thing has been a mess, nobody would even have cared if they simply allowed bluetooth to connect to headphones and controllers vs. just phones.

The problem isn't just the hardware. Tesla has specifically limited all the games that need a controller to play for the 2022 models. Even if you upgraded your car you wouldn't have access to games.
I have the TParts data module. Works great on games which are intended for controllers such as beach buggy & sky force. Love playing in multiplayer mode with two controllers hooked up to tesla. Lunar lander & asteroids work well with controllers. I’ve not tried others.
Only games you don’t get are cuphead and sonic. These will be available when tesla provides the ability to use Bluetooth based controllers …but when that happens, my usb based controllers will work on the games.

You should be able to stream via Bluetooth which doesn't require a USB port.

I think Tesla is eventually removing all but the glovebox USB port, since the USB-C ports have basically been neutered already.
The 4 USB C ports are still in the center console and they are still listed on the feature page.
They are only for charging not data.

I really doubt that Tesla would yank them out seeing as nearly everything need a USB port to charge these days.

It's kind of expected of any vehicle to offer basic USB charging ports for front and back seat passengers. I can't imagine they will be removed as much as Elon would probably want to remove them to profit more per car. I just wish Tesla would put a little effort in the Music interface so you didn't have to use your phone to change artists, playlists, etc. In 2022 this kind of stuff should be available in any new car to eliminate drivers from having to use their phones when behind the wheel.

The 4 USB C ports are still in the center console and they are still listed on the feature page.
They are only for charging not data.

I really doubt that Tesla would yank them out seeing as nearly everything need a USB port to charge these days.
The usb-c in the front center console can be upgraded to support data via third party methods. Some vendors include the data cable needed to reach the tesla computer since tesla stopped putting the cable in cars around May 2022. Mine (built 12/2021) had the cable connected to computer still.

• Disagree
Reactions: sorphin
The usb-c in the front center console can be upgraded to support data via third party methods. Some vendors include the data cable needed to reach the tesla computer since tesla stopped putting the cable in cars around May 2022. Mine (built 12/2021) had the cable connected to computer still.
It is obvious, judging by your reaction that in fact you did not read the entire thread. As if you did you would see that I indeed have read that I did install this exact part and even posted a link for it. see post #3

My comment that you are quoting has to do with someone above thinking that Tesla will yank the USB all together.

So give me a thumbs down to this post as well while you're at it.

Reactions: sorphin