Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB for Navi update and Music playback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried connecting a USB with MP3s on it and still no connection at all, so I don't think it's properly connected. But would not the update cable go to the navi box either way, which I understand to be a separate box? Is it possible just to pull out the unit, or do I need to take apart the whole dashboard?

I was told it was a maintenance USB connection, so can't use for MP3s, etc.

You can remove the 2DIN unit without taking apart the whole dashboard. Just remove vent piece, the special Alpine tool, then it slides out. You'll probably drop at least some of the 4 plastic clips into the side area near the 2DIN, and need long tweezers to get them out again.

What did you end up switching to markwj, and are you happy with it?

I switched to a Parrot Asteroid.

Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN Head Unit

But that was 2013. Parrot was supposed to launch newer model (RNB6) but quietly abandoned those plans last year.

Nowadays, I'd probably stick in a Pioneer Android Auto / Apple Carplay unit.

Alright, I'll check with my local Alpine dealer and see if I can find where the plug ends. Is there a trick for removing the vent piece?

I had originally looked at the Pioneer players, but this Sony XAV-602BT
With a lifetime TomTom map update also looks interesting.

I just bought a 2.5 with the Alpine double DIN.
I called Alpine support to see if a nav update was available and was told that as of early 2017 they no longer support the IVA-NAV-10.
Would love to convert the old plug to one that works with current iPhones!

I followed these instructions here and replaced the old 30pin connector with a standard lightning cable and it works well with my iPhone 6:

[HOWTO] Converting your iPhone dock into an USB port

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I opened the console and dug a little deeper.
I finally found both the 30 pin connector and the USB connector.
I pushed the 30pin back into the console, leaving the USB connector exposed.
Now I plug in my iPhone using a USB-Lightning cord. Works fine.
Next step may be to try to install a more proper USB mount, or go to Lightning.

I am replacing my unit with a Kenwood system next week. My car is a 1.5, but I had it upgraded to a double din a year ago. Really do not like the Alpine unit the double din kit came with. The Kenwood system will have a new backup camera and a front camera and of course Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and Garmin navigation. I am not doing any of the work on the car so the cost is high at about $1700.

The most I can say about the installation is that they are billing me one hour extra over the install of the same unit in a more conventional car. There was no mention of any other kits needed, but I will find out the end of next week.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I am replacing my unit with a Kenwood system next week. My car is a 1.5, but I had it upgraded to a double din a year ago. Really do not like the Alpine unit the double din kit came with. The Kenwood system will have a new backup camera and a front camera and of course Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and Garmin navigation. I am not doing any of the work on the car so the cost is high at about $1700.

The most I can say about the installation is that they are billing me one hour extra over the install of the same unit in a more conventional car. There was no mention of any other kits needed, but I will find out the end of next week.

I have looked into this as well and so far haven't been able to decide ... Which Kenwood unit did you choose?

@Roadster2010 - I did some research here on how to do it and came across this thread from @Jonathanm :
Definitive Replace Alpine Unit, Seat, Centre Consul and Dash Removal Guide

Looks quite involved ...

The guys that are doing the replacement (Sound Sensations) are the ones that did the double din conversion for me so they know what they are getting into when they replace my Alpine.

The Kenwood unit I am getting I believe is a Kenwood DNX874S.

The guys that are doing the replacement (Sound Sensations) are the ones that did the double din conversion for me so they know what they are getting into when they replace my Alpine.

The Kenwood unit I am getting I believe is a Kenwood DNX874S.

Thank you -- let us know what you think of the audio quality (I assume you are sticking with the factory speakers?)

I've looked at that one as well, but would probably go for one of the non-navigation units and use Apple CarPlay instead. Or I might go with one of the Android units (eg AutoPumpkin)

The unit I ended up with is a Kenwood DNX994S. Still getting us to it, but way more intuitive to use than the Alpine. The sound is great for me, but I am not real fussy about sound quality.

This is the first time I have used anything like Android Auto but I really like it. The only problem so far is that the Roadster is too noisy while moving for the voice commands to work very well.